I got the stupidest email today

DammitJanet

DDD....no, I dont know anyone who lives in FL now. Did his friends son got to UNCP? I know we were all awfully proud when that college got that affiliation. It used to be Pembroke State but about 10 or so years ago UNC took over. That has really made Pembroke a boom town. A ton of kids come here to attend that college now.

klmno

[ITo have a child who could possibly have even a tad bit of this part of this country's history running through his/her veins?][/I]

I agree! I intermittently work on my family tree and both my mom and dad's sides came thru VA, then to NC, then to KY and have a couple of "races" and nationalities in there. I thought it would help difficult child feel some pride about his heritage, especially since he feels left out without having a father in his life. He has a little iinterest in it and hopefully, that will grow as he matures. I guess like all family trees, there have been people to be proud of, embaressed by (because of their actions), and ones to laugh about because they had such odd things happen in their lives.

DDD

;) Janet, I'm laughing at myself. I always am amazed when someone from another State says "Oh, you're from Florida? My cousin lives down there? Do you know Suzie Q?"

I guess that's how I was thinking about the Lumbee's and NC...like you all know each other, live together AND know the out of state relatives. :redface:
One thing I do know......Tony's Mom "Miss Lulla Mae" makes the best collard greens in the South. (Probably as good as your Tony's.) DDD

DammitJanet

Omg...Miss Lula Mae...now that makes a difference. Now we do have a Miss Lula Mae in the family! I will have to wait for Tony to get home to get the exact relation though.

DammitJanet

Probably. I know a bunch of them live in Baltimore because they went up there to work. Most likely if people have the last names of Hunt, Oxendine, Locklear, Sampson, Revels, and Lowry they have some Lumbee in them. Those are the major names from here and the "white man's names" that came over from England and were given to the indians when they were mixed in with the English when they were the Croatans.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Hey, Janet! Castine is not just ANY little town in Maine...it's the home of the Maine Maritime Academy.http://www.mainemaritime.edu/

Do you realize that if your family are related to the Baron de Castin you are part of French nobility, and when I meet you I will have to decide whether to grovel in your presence or rebel against you? You may be part Abenaki since the Baron took an Abenaki bride.[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abenaki[/ame]

DammitJanet

3shadows...I am related to the Baron! My dad has all that info. I have heard all about the Baron Von deCastine for years. I have been to Castine Maine two or three times. All my dads brothers live in Reading Mass. We used to go up there about once or twice a year to see my cousins and uncles. I miss doing that but I just dont have the money to do it anymore.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I grew up with a family that was very um I am not sure of the correct word. I didn't know they were different until I got out on my own. I did day care in my home for several children of varied skin tones. One day I was on the military base we were stationed (myself and easy child's father) and one of the officer's wives (don't ask how I knew this you just do) looked at me with my five children the oldest two being very tan the middle two being paler than pale and the youngest being tan again made a huge snide comment about me being a parent to all those kids and the obvious mixture of races. In truth I wasn't even old enough for the oldest to be mine. Instead of correcting her about her assumption they were mine I just turned and said that I cared for all of my kids and that it wasn't any of her business.

I had it happen again in GA when I walked into an airport with easy child and her best friend. Both of very different heritages and I again said it was none of that person's business.

It truly boggled my mind that someone could actually make a comment like that to a stranger but then I thought back a few years to a car ride with my oldest brother when he had made a similiar comment about someone in the road walking. At the time I was in middle school and he was an adult and it still struck me as very wrong and he apologized to me for the comment.

I had not really understood where he had gotten it until I went to bring a guy home for Christmas one year and my mom actually asked me what race he was. I said he was part of the human race. Did it matter beyond that? She told me that I knew it did. I was aghast at that comment.

It really bothered me the day I found out easy child had used a certain unacceptable word toward a boy. When the mom had stopped by to ask easy child said yes (I think my head spun off my shoulders looking daggers at her). I give the mom a lot of credit because she asked why. I think she was as suprised as I was that easy child had said yes (of course for different reasons.. me because I couldn't believe she had said it and the other mom because she couldn't believe a kid would be honest about it). When easy child told her the awful thing that her son had called her and said she wanted to hurt him back the mom was very understanding and gave her a whole list of names that she would not remotely car that she used if she just didn't use that one. Believe me easy child and I had a lonnnnnnnnnnng talk about it afterwards.

I just have never understood why people do those stupid things.

DDD

Did you ask Tony about Miss Lula Mae? She has a couple of wild and craxy relatives including a sister Betty Jean or Betty Jane who is suppose to be a riot. I think her brother or cousin Shorty lives around you too. DDD

DammitJanet

Our lula mae is long dead. She is the mother of a Mable and married Tonys grandma's brother. I cant think of a Betty jean or a Shorty.

JJJ

We took a huge family picture at our reunion two years ago, while most look "white", we are...

Irish
German
African
Portugese
Cherokee
Finnish
Polish
Italian
Japanese
British
and a few more.

We are all Americans but some hold or held citizenship from Finland, Japan, Cherokee Nation, and UK.

My mom says we are the typical American family -- pure mutt.