I hate being an only child (some medical too much information).....LONG

DammitJanet

Stang...no pencil pusher is going to say that because I am taking it that your parents are not incredibly wealthy right? Im pretty sure they probably needed to use their money over the years. No one is going to go back and check on what they spent the money on. Heavens if someone came to me and asked what I spent my settlement on they would get a cold shoulder from me because its none of their business. It was my money. Just like it was your moms money. Nunya comes to mind. none of your blanked business. (I left out a word that is in the beginning of my name...lol)

But yes, I do think in your case you really need to get your parents into one of those apartments you talk about. I want to get into one myself but Tony wont hear of it...ever. This is where we completely disagree. I am so over living in my place and may end up having to quit claim my place to Billy just to get out of it at some point in time so I can go.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Check your county for

LIHEAP..........then ask if they have a weatherization program and GET ON THE LIST. This is a FREE program that will (if their county has it) pay for (if included) insulation, windows, weather stripping, water heater, furnace, a/c, doors, underlayment, caulking, possible new flooring, - smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors. (etc)

County Council and area Agency on Aging. - If your county has one.

Habitat for Humanity - may have resources for building materials and or volunteer services.

Local church groups that build ramps. repair and do volunteer painting, wood working, carpentry free - no strings attached.

Rural Rehab Loan Improvement Council. Doubtful they qualify - unless they are so far out - HOWEVER - they may be able to point them in a direction to get funds on possible refinancing or low interest loans for remodeling.

Reverse Mortgages - not a great scenario - but a last resort for necessities.

Also - Check into the Matthew Lesko books - NOT Kidding.....I've gotten a TON of free stuff from them for my home - and you'd be surprised the things that you can get for your parents through the govt. on loans that no one knows exist. And programs that are out there, no one knows exist.