I hate it when you're waiting for the end

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I cannot wait for this semester to end already! I have to do a presentation tomorrow night in class as well as turn in my paper for the same topic, which is basically about tourette syndrome. My heart is just not in my classes anymore. What with everything else going on with my stupid knees, PT, mom, argh.

I just can't stand the pain in my knees anymore and the PT, I swear, makes it worse. It's only been 2 weeks so I'm willing to give it more time, but I felt like a real crippled person today and tonight I am exhausted.

I'm at the point where I just don't give a rats you know what on the grade I get anymore! I currently have a 3.92 and I'm willing to settle for a 3.0...and I had signed up for one class this summer and two in the fall, but I've changed it to none this summer and one on campus in the fall as well as one on line. I just can't do more than that - it seems so overwhelming. Means I will be going longer than planned but hopefully only by one semester.

I think I'm going to take a bath in some Epsom salts and then a pain killer. At first I thought maybe a muscle relaxer, but it's arthritis and muscle relaxers won't
Touch that will it? The Alieve isn't doing much after the PT, my god, the digging into the joint business, ouch!!!

T

TeDo

I am so sorry you are going through all this. I totally understand the part about not being able to keep up the pace anymore. Backing off the school stuff is not going to mean the end of the world so take it easy for now and do what you NEED to do. PT can definitely CAUSE pain to worsen. My doctor told me to take 3 Advil four times a day OR 4 Advil three times a day depending on the intensity of the pain. Advil (Ibuprofen) is a pain killer/anti-inflammatory so it really helps my arthritis. Aleve and the like have never done anything for me so I stick with what helps.

Take it easy and take care of yourself. Glad to hear from you.:getwell:

Star*

call 911........call 911
DF needs 2 knee replacements - and while nothing but that is going to help? he has bone on bone.......This stuff in a bottle spray or roll on called STOP PAIN - is AWESOME for the aches. it's about $9.00 a bottle but worth EVERY nickle.

I also have found that ALEVE GEL caps - for whatever reason (the green ones) not the generic either seem to work extra fast, and super long for my arthritis sooooooo maybe a combo of those two will help you. I take those 1x a day. I also get them at SAMS club for a WHOLE lot cheaper than anywhere else.

Getting old isn't cheap. Or fun....or easy.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Jo, PT probably isn't making it better if it's arthritis........except that it's keeping them mobile. Poor mother in law tried and tried with the PT but eventually even with enormous amts of pain medications (both patch and oral) she just couldn't do it anymore. And her mobility all but stopped along with it. Because its just so hard to push yourself past the pain to move it just a little more. I didn't have the arthritis......but while the shattered shoulders were healing.....omg PT was torture and yes, I did stop. But at home I did my own style where I could do it at my own pace, not theirs. Hours of throbbing pain after a PT session was just not worth it to me. Instead I did stuff all day long.....when the throbbing got to much I backed off until it stopped, then started up again. Must have done ok as doctor was amazed with the range of motion I've got. Joints are bad......you don't move them, you lose them.

Muscle relaxant won't help the joint pain but if your muscles are sore and knotting up around the knees from the work out it will probably help some. I had to call doctor and ask for some strong ones as I'd be resting on the couch...both arms on pillows for support......and muscles would spasm so bad they'd flop around. That made me scream, even with strong pain medications.

It's hard to get much out of classes when you've got a ton of stuff going on at once on top of pain you're trying to deal with. Trust me, been there done that. Go at whatever pace you can handle, the end will still be there when you reach it.

(((hugs)))

dashcat

I've been there with the pain and I completely understand. Hot baths did help and so did lots of sleep. A 3.0 is quite respectable. Remember, to get your degree you only have to PASS the class. Take care of y our body and soul first.
I don't know if your sitch will ever call for joint replacement, but I had both my knees replaced 1.5 years ago and... WOW!!!!! I was driving in a month, walking 3 miles in 3 months and now I can do anything except play the piano!

I was cutting my grass last summer on night marvelling "This doesn't hurt! Not even a little bit" ... and then I realized MOST people cut their grass summer after summer and never once think "wow! this doesn't hurt!".

Dash

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Thanks ladies. I am just feeling really in the dumps (goes back to why I was absent these past few months) - just have one good day and two bad with pain, feelings of being overwhelmed by my life, depression, just want to cry writing about it. It sucks.

I have an appointment with my regular Dr on Monday. We will discuss pain and depression medications.

Dash - I am SOOOOO happy for you! My sister just had knee replacements (she is 65) and I want them too, but my Dr said to come back in 20 years. So for 20 years I have to live with this daily day in and day out debilitating pain? That is why I started the PT; I thought maybe if I strengthened the muscles around the knee, I could support the joint better and keep it from buckling. I can't even do stairs anymore without feeling very insecure about falling completely. I am sure the PT will help strengthen the muscle, but I also realize that it won't touch the pain and, in fact, may make it worse. I am at a loss. I will speak with the PT guy and explain to him that two hours with him has me aching for DAYS...just in time for the next appointment (this Thurs).

I felt like an old woman last night, I have been icing the darned knee constantly and I bought a new ice pack that literally wraps around my knee - at $24!!! I want PAIN KILLERS because advil and alieve just aren't cutting it at night. I sleep with a pillow between my knees and you know what? That causes another kind of ache. I can't even stretch out in bed, I can't lie on my side for long, or the back for long without some stupid pillow under or between the knees and then that causes stiffness and pain.

Tonight I have to give that presentation in class and I'm going to do it sitting on the teacher's desk - tough **** - I just don't care. I cannot stand for 15 minutes straight, no way.

Well, thanks for listening to me complain and whine. I'm certain that my H is sick of hearing me.

DammitJanet

Ok, I just have to ask...did our kids do this to us? Look at how many of us have these joint, fibro, whatever issues...lol. I am barely mobile these days. If I do get out then I pay for it for days afterwards. This past trip to VA to visit Jamie? I will be in my room most of the week except for a few errands like two doctors appts this week. I also need two knee replacements but they dont want to do them until I am on my last leg...lol...because we live long in my family and they dont like to do too many do-overs. If I do it now, chances are I will need at least 2 if not 3 replacement knees. They dont like those odds. Then there are my hips and spine to add into the situation. PT only worked for me when I had the meningitis and then it was a bear. OMG I thought they were gonna kill me but in the end they did help me greatly because if not for them I wouldnt be here today. I would be in some nursing home with some aide wiping my butt and feeding my oatmeal. I literally couldnt walk or use my arms so PT was a good thing then but lord I hated them...lol.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh Jeez, I was bending down to adjust the ice pack on my knee and pulled my back out! Really?? I mean, REALLY???

Janet, you may be on to something. After all, while we were busy taking care of everything and everyone else, we neglected our own stuff for how many years?

DammitJanet

Jo...I was gonna come on here and complain to you! I somehow did something to my knees sometime and am now barely able to walk! It feels like they are going to just give out at any moment. Geeze.

TerryJ2

OMG, Jody, owieeeee!
I am so sorry for you back and your knees. Now you have to ice your back, too.
I don't know the details of your condition but think it's weird that the dr told you to come back in 20 yrs. 20 YEARS?
A warm bath sounds like a great idea ...
:bath:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Jo, when I read "waiting for the end" was afraid that someone was dying. I'm so relieved!

I have no doubt that long term stress does a number on our physical selves.

Gentle hugs,
Suz

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
On the up side, I ACED my presentation in class tonight, handed in my matching leper, went up FIRST and am so grateful it's only one more class to go and a final! Thank freaking god, ugh. My professor said my presentation ws excellent, that I did GREAT! Yay! I predict an A

On the down side, my back is killing me. I took a forceful and an aleve, so I'm hopeful.

Janet, you poor thing! I hope you feel better. Suz, sorry for the scare! .lol.