I hate midnight phone calls!

DammitJanet

My phone just rang and Cory was screaming crying in my ear that I had to come get Keyana! My heart dropped to my stomach as my mind raced in a split second as all possibilities ran through it as the word "why" uttered out of my mouth in a panic.

"Clayton is dead! Clayton is dead!" was his reply. "He was walking across the road and someone hit him! Come get Keyana!" And he hung up on me.

I woke Tony up in a dead run and we rushed over there. All I can say was we were met with horror. It was like something out of a crime show. Police and rescue vehicles were everywhere. More were showing up as we arrived. Kids in their late teens and early twenties that new this young man were milling around wailing and crying on everyone's shoulders. Cory was crying and saying it was all his fault because he let Clayton go out to walk. That he should have stopped him. Or gone with him.

Keyana was wailing. Screaming Daddy, Daddy.

Claytons body was laying in the street. Eventually the covered it up but you could still see his arms and legs and his brains and blood on the pavement.

The car hit and ran but someone witnessed the accident so hopefully the police can find the car. If they dont find it in a short time, Im calling Nancy Grace!

God I feel so bad for these kids, this boys family and this community. I know Cory will never get over this. He may have his faults but he really loves his friends. This will scar him forever.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh how HORRIBLE! I am so sorry Cory feels like it's somehow his fault :( I hope Keyana did not see any of it. Sending up prayers for Cory and for that poor boy's family...

flutterby

Fly away!
I'm so sorry. How tragic. Sending supportive hugs for Cory and Keyana. I'm sure all the commotion was very scary for her.

busywend

Janet, how old was Clayton - that Cory 'let' him go out and walk?

I am sorry to hear about this tragedy. I hope Cory and Keyana are OK. HUGS!

klmno

How traumatic- for both Cory and Keyana. They might have a hard time dealing with this for a while- keep an eye out. It doesn't mean it's Cory's fault just that if he's blaming himself, the effect on him is the same. And poor Keyana could have some nightmares.

maril

I can't imaging how horrible this must be for all. Sending wishes for strength and will keep you all in my prayers.

DammitJanet

Clayton was 19. It feels so horrible to type "was". He was spending the night with Cory because he lived two country roads over.

Cory has taken on the roll of older brother to many of these kids. He tries to keep them on the right path. He was the one to tell this boy not to hit the girl and take a walk. That will always stay with him. I know he only meant walk around Cory's trailer though.

The fault falls with the person who would hit a person in the road and keep on going. Where he was in the road was fairly well lit. There were street lights at that particular area because there is a store.

I dont know when this boys parents were notified. They werent there when we were there. All I could think about was it could have been both Cory and Clayton if the two of them had gone together.

klmno

The fault falls with the person who would hit a person in the road and keep on going.

That's exactly right! And I wouldn't be surprised if it was a drunk or high driver. I hope they catch the person.

witzend

I hope that Cory can be strong for Keyana. It's a terrible thing, but it does happen. He can't fall apart.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Janet -

Please accept our families deepest sympathies at this difficult time. There really are never good, proper or right words to say during a tragedy like this, but please know that our family understands what you and yours is going through and will be keeping you in our hearts and prayers. Dude sends a huge hug to his bro - Cory.

Love Star