TerryJ2

Thank you, SRL. My printer is whirring!

Crazymama, he's going to explode when he finds out how many camps he's going to. He always complains that he gets no voice in his summer activities, and that he hates spec needs camps. So I promised him he wouldn't have to go to a spec need camp. I was all set to let him choose from a slew of camps at our last psychiatric session, but he refused to get out of bed or leave his room, so he lost the opportunity. And he will discover that was a bad choice on his part.
These camps are not punishment, but for some reason, he thinks they are. If he were old enough to live on his own, I'd leave him home and go to the camps myself! One is all about horses. Another is all about computers. One is an adventure camp with-a ropes course.
Sigh. No matter what I do, he'll have a fit, so I may as well do the right thing.

Mood stabilzer, think mood stabilizer ...

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
These camps are not punishment, but for some reason, he thinks they are. If he were old enough to live on his own, I'd leave him home and go to the camps myself!

Sigh. No matter what I do, he'll have a fit, so I may as well do the right thing.

Boy does this sound familiar! I, too, have been sending difficult child to summer camps for my own sanity. She whines, she complains - but then she has fun once she is there, so it can't be all bad.

Sign him up...let him complain...he'll get over it (or not) but you deserve a break!

Jody

Terry,

You are too funny. I am so glad for all of you. I come here and somehow knowing that I am not the only person in the world going thru this craziness is comforting. (Sorry), I do hope it gets better soon though. My daughter is 11 and the screaming and cursing for 45 minutes at the top of their lungs is something I know all about. Ugh. Mine didn't even go to school today. She hates school, go figure, I would hate it to if everyone was mean to me. I know why they are mean to her. She likes to dish it out and then she can't take it when it comes back to bite her in the butt. Oh well, she is making that choice. Maybe one day she'll get tired of it. I hope you get a break soon. I took one last night I went and took my supper to the park and sat next to the river. The water was just going down stream and so were my problems. It was beautiful and so quiet. It's a wilderness park tha hardly anyone goes to. Maybe they have a place like that where you live. It's so much nicer than going home to be yelled at. Hang in there, many hugs.

Im a Believer

Terry ~ I hope you are having a better day today ~ I always hesitate to post - so many of you have so many more wisdom in your words.

I keep telling myself after the "hurricane" - if I can just make it to tomorrow - it will be better ~

Wishing you a better tomorrow ~

P

PassedExhausted

"I keep telling myself after the "hurricane" - if I can just make it to tomorrow - it will be better ~"

There's definitely wisdom in that.....it's what keeps me getting outta bed in the morining....

MK

TerryJ2

Jody, your wilderness park sounds lovely. I've tried just sitting in the yard but difficult child often finds me and then keeps on ragging me. I have to hide in my own yard!
I'mABeliever, wow, after reading your signature/profile, I can see that you have your hands full. OMG. How do you survive? You must have a super thick skin and the organizational skills of a high ranking office exec.
Yeah, PassedExhausted, I'm passed exhausted, too.
But it's quiet right now ... yeaayyy!

susiestar

Roll With It
Daytrana is a stimulant for adhd, celexa is an antidepressant, advair is for asthma, imuran is used to suppress the immune system to treat autoimmune disorders. Tegretol is an anti-seizure medication that is also a mood stabilizer.

N

Nomad

(hugs). Yep, I think it is break time.
Also, think you need to read literature on boundaries for the little tyke. Yes, I know, easier said than done.

When my kids had headaches, especially if I had even the remotest inclination of difficult child-business going on, I gave them two MOtrin, 30 minutes of down time and then it was BACK TO BUSINESS AS USUAL.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Wow...I wish I got to go to camps like that when I was that age. Actually, I think an emotional growth boarding school aimed at kids on the spectrum would have been wonderful.

Sadly, my parents couldn't afford anything like that despite my telling them I needed to go boarding school. I think it would've made my life a lot better than it is today.

TerryJ2

GoingNorth, those are the kinds of things you only figure out when you're an adult. :)

Nomad, difficult child refuses to take pain pills. Probably fallout from growing up with-a conservative anti-pharma chiro. Sigh.
Somehow he knows he had to take the medications from the psychiatric. And the eyedrops for glaucoma. But I think he's more into power struggles than actually getting rid of the headaches.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Your posts always make me sore, tired and feel like I need more of a break!!! LOL

I am sort of kidding. I agree that he needs something. K is sooo less emotional on Lamictal. She has far less violence and psychotic breaks. Her mania is calmer as well. It is by no means perfect but it is better. Plus she is not "drugged up". So we are keep her like this for now. If she gets worse then we figure out the next change.

The change in placement needs to be thought of also. For his sake and yours. We are doing this for K as well because we would be shortchanging her if we didn't. If it is a possibility for you I would do it. We have been looking for 6 months now.

I hope you get a break soon... I have no idea what that is but it sure sounds good!!! LOL I would go out to Sushi with you!!!

TerryJ2

You have been looking for a place for 6 mo's? Wow.

by the way, I tried sending sushi through the DSL and it got squished ... :tongue:

M

ML

Terry it's no wonder you're at the end of your rope. I have often read your posts in sheer admiration of your strength and devotion under the most difficult of circumstances. I don't know how you do it. It's ok to not be perfect and I've come to realize while I might not always feel like a "good mom", I'm a "good enough" mom and do the best I can.

Feeling your pain today and sending you prayers of support and understanding. Blessings, ML

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Terry, I'm sorry I've missed this & have been so absent of late. I truly feel your pain. With the level of your difficult children issues, I'd be looking into a Residential Treatment Center (RTC) as well.

In the meantime, I hope your office can stay your sanctuary ~ it's the one place you can hide in the midst of chaos.

crazymama30

Hugs. I can sympathize, there are times I hate my life too. Try to take time for yourself, do something you enjoy. Go get a pedicure while difficult child is at school. Shut the cell phone off. I have been known to take the kids to school and go out hiking rest of the day and put husband in charge of picking kids up.

I hope you find something soon for difficult child.

As for summer camp? You go for it. He will just have to get over it. I am going to call a gal psychiatrist said might know of some camps and such for summer for difficult child. He originally said it was like quasi wrap around services (not sure what that means) but I may get something good out of it.

DammitJanet

Terry...Im gonna PM you a summer camp that may be full but may not be. It would be great for him. Not for difficult child's I dont think but it is 4 or 5 weeks overnight and its in the Morehead city area. You only have to go visit once! LOL. I went there...I can vouch for it.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Terry the reason it has taken at least 6 months for us likely longer... is the whole process. Wrapping your mind around the fact that your kid needs something more, that they are failing, that I couldn't be the "more", that the School K is at wants to help her but it just isn't right for her. SO then we had to have the loooong sit downs at night and talk and talk. OK where do we put her? We decide on what type of placement, then where? There is no Day Schools here, so back to Chicago? Or a couple hours from Grandma and Papa? We then realized Phoenix actually has really good Day Schools for Autistic kids, not for BiPolar (BP) kids... Maybe it is because of Temple's presence and help? SHe has done so much here for our kids.

SO then it is which School, we start doing the 2 hour drive and the e-mails and the phone calls.... 6 months or so later!!!

So next week K is going to sit in on a School.