I hate shopping for jeans!!

Kathy813

Staff member
Due to difficult child related issues (see the PE forum for the sad details), I had to go shopping for a new pair of jeans today. There is only one more thing that I hate more than shopping for jeans - - shopping for bathing suits. Luckily, difficult child didn’t take those. So I went to Kohl’s with a $10 off coupon to buy a new pair of jeans.

My eyes glazed over when I got to the jeans section. Now I wear a size 6 in dress pants so you would think I could just pick up a pair of size 6 jeans and be done with it. Wouldn’t you? Oh no . . . first you have to decide do you want high rise, mid rise, low rise, or ultra low rise (yeah - - right). Then you have to decide do you want short, medium, or long (this sounds like a math problem that I was teaching the other day - - combination or permutation?). Then, of course, do you want dark blue, light blue, or something in-between.

So I took a deep breath, gathered up 6 pairs of assorted jeans, and headed to the dressing room. I quickly discovered that sizes vary from brand to brand as does the meaning of mid rise. I became discouraged as I learned that my short-waisted, flat-butt body style doesn’t look good in most pairs of jeans. Top that off with the fact that I had to share a dressing room with a mom with four small children - - two of which were twin 3-year-old boys that are difficult children in training.

I left the store with a headache and a pair of jeans that I will probably take back. by the way, don’t believe what you read about that secret tummy flattening panel. I swear all it did was accentuate my tummy pooch.

If she had taken my bathing suits I seriously would have put a hit out on her.

~Kathy

Wiped Out

Staff member
Jean shopping-definitely not fun and having to share the dressing room with-four children-yuck! I hope your evening is better-hugs.

crazymama30

for the last 4 or more years I buy the same style of Lee jeans. Thank god they still make them, I don't know what I will do when they stop. I don't even try them on, they always fit.

I hate bra shopping. that is my nemesis.

Nancy

Kathy I use to hate shopping for jeans too because I could never find any that fit and were actually flattering. I finally found some luck at Coldwater Creek. The jeans that fit best are the ones with a little stretch in them, straight legs and are not low rise but lower than regular. They are confortable and look nice.

Nancy

Kathy813

Staff member
Nancy,

Ironically, one of the pairs of jeans that difficult child took with her was from Coldwater Creek. I was trying to keep the price down but I may just have to break down and go buy another pair from there.

~Kathy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I buy mine at walmart. Not sure of the brand, but they fit everytime in all the right places. And short means short......not another inch that will go under my shoe to be tromped on. (I'm not even 5 feet) I'm not big on wallie world clothes due to the fact they wear out quickly, so aren't really cost effective. But these jeans hold up well and fit well and don't cost an arm and a leg.

But due to my shortness.........big hips, no fanny, and excess pounds, I hate to buy jeans. :tongue: And your company in the dressing room is why I never try anything on in the store. I'll take it back if it doesn't fit. ugh!

susiestar

Roll With It
I was going to suggest checking out some of the brands at wallie world. The name brands that they carry seem to hold up as well as if you buy them at another store, and their house brand jeans seems to stand up to even my kids - Jessie is in adult sizes and if they can live through her they can handle anything! They also tend to carry the same basics in jeans for quite a while so if you find one you like you can get them again when you need more.

FWIW, wrangler jeans seem to have the flattest butt of any I have seen except for gloria vanderbuilt. At least the old gloria vanderbuilt jeans that a friend passed on to me several years ago. I have too much booty to even try them, LOL. But I totally get the short thing.

You also might try duck head jeans if you can find them.

And penneys has a coupon in the mail that came last week for $10 off any purch of $10 or more (excluding many things, but clothing is not excluded). that might help.

IF you find Lee jeans you like, then look for one of the outlet malls. Usually they have a store that does Lee closeouts, along with vanity fair undies, etc.... that have really good prices and selections. My mom drives to OH every couple of summers so that she can stop and stock up on these and her fave undies for cheap. VF Factory outlet is the name of the place.

Lothlorien

I buy the same few brands all the time. I never like Levis until the past couple of years. They actually make them to FIT women, not stick model types, now. I had hips when I was in high school and could never wear Gap or Levis. I buy most of my jeans at Kohl's. Gloria Vanderbilt, Dockers and Levis. Then, once I find some that I love, I buy them in every color. If they don't have them in the store, I buy them online.

DammitJanet

If you dont have a butt and want J-lo, they make something now called a Booty pop. Yep, I know. Its a padded butt instead of a padded bra but I saw one on tv and it really did seem to make a difference.

KTMom91

Janet, that Booty Pop is the LAST thing I need! My booty pops just fine on its own!

I do most of my shopping at Fashion Bug, because I need the bigger sizes. I've had pretty good luck with their jeans/capris.

DDD

Last week Consumer Reports rated Levis as the best value with the highest customer rating. Last time I found jeans that fit I bought four pair so I don't have to face the hassle again! Lol.

Fingers crossed that difficult child includes your jeans in the Monday return trip. DDD

muttmeister

I don't have much butt either so I buy my waist measurement and length in men's jeans. They aren't pretty but I can usually find some to fit. I've even been known to buy some like that and applique on some fancy stuff to make them look more like women's.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I carry my excess weight in my gut; just like most men do. Women's jeans assume that if you have a big gut, you also have a big behind and thighs. I don't.

I've been wearing men's jeans for years and years. Started doing so in Jr. High when it became apparent that while I had plenty on top; I had straight hips and no rear end.

Actually, I wear lounge pants everywhere if I can get away with it. Since I had my bowel surgery; the flies on regular jeans irritate the scar something fierce.

Kathy813

Staff member
I did good! I went to Penney's today with my $10 off coupon and found a pair of dark blue jeans that was a store brand. They fit well and were comfortable and even better . . . they were on clearance. After my $10 off, I only paid $7.99!! I love a good bargain!

I took the pair from Kohl's back.

~Kathy

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I've stopped buying jeans & resorted to khakis. Can't find a decent fit in jeans; a lousy fit = looking even fatter than I am. I've resorted to Khaki's & the like. I love 'em. Comfortable, flattering fit & I can dress them up or down.

I do have a few pairs of jeans that fit - wear them about the house & out in the yard to do gardening.

Mostly I wear the khakis or below the knee skirts or jumpers. Just who I am,

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Bill Blass, GAP, and Jeanstar jeans are the only ones - for YEARS - that would fit me correctly. I can't afford GAP and can't find Jeanstars anymore, but when I could I bought a load of them. These days I am wearing a Gloria Vanderbilt pair that fit great (and I have a booty). I bought for the first time since HS a pair of Levis the other day and I was pleasantly surprised that they fit great also - they were capris jeans.

Glad you found a pair!

busywend

I think JeanStart is at Macy's.

I buy a brand from Macy's too, but I can not recall the name. I will have to try on some Levi's soon - sounds like they might work!