I hate this...

tiredmommy

Duckie may or may not have hives on her face again. They look like her hives but she also has some acne that she started using a neutrogena cream two nights ago. Thing is, her face looked fine when I picked her up from school but everything came up before dinner.

Ugh. Another long night. :(

tiredmommy

It looked a little better when she woke up at 7AM, but worse by about 7:40AM. Now the hives/rash/whatever the heck it is has surrounded her mouth (but not touching). husband actually decided it's best to keep her home. I'm off to work so he's working from home.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
TM--

Does a benadryl cream work on those? We've found that the topicals are so much better than oral medications...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sounds like hives, poor kid. What a place to get them.

Like DF I'm wondering if a topical medication would work better since it seems contained in one area? It depends on how it's progressed whether or not Nichole has better luck with an oral or topical medication.

Hugs

Star*

call 911........call 911
Two things came to mind - (actually three, four) okay -

First - CHANGE her toothpaste/mouth wash. I am SO highly allergic to Crest that when I used it as a kid? My feet would break out in HUGE lumps so bad that I couldn't walk - No rhyme or reason there - but something in Crest made my feet break out.

Second - Rosacea sounds like something JUST for adults - but kids can get it too - http://www.livestrong.com/article/328293-rash-like-pimples-on-the-face/

Third - Angiodemas -

Fourth - Allergies to laundry detergent - and this is going to sound bizzare - but IF she's allergic to your laundry detergent - and she has allergies, sleeps with her mouth open....the drool from sleeping with her mouth open keeps her mouth moist at night, moist mouth against the pillows or stuffed animals COULD make her break out?

If she has LONG hair or hair long enough for her to pull around to her mouth - twirls it, or dampens it and chews on it (not that it's a complete habit) but occasionally does it? Does she have a perm? Could it be the perm chemicals?

Throwing out for consideration.

If it is any of the aboves - you do NOT want to put ANYTHING on the outbreak - because the moisture from most of the creams and topicals would only SEAL more moisture in.

Personally? I would get her to a dermatologist. Call one - and say - I have this kid, has this problem it's intermittent - can I have an open appointment? Then take her when it happens again?

She may just need Benadryl, or an antihistamine. Or Tide Free, or SULFATE free shampoo. Or Some new kind of toothpaste.

I dunno.

Hugs and quacks to the duck.

tiredmommy

Thanks everyone.

Star~ I think it's a dual problem right now. I think the acne medication dried and irritated her skin and triggered her hives (you're right about the angioedema, I usually refer to it as hives because it's a term almost everyone is familiar with).

susiestar

Roll With It
Hugs to her and you. Those are painful. This next will sound odd, but trust me.

Go to the first aid section of Walmart and get BurnJel Plus. It is a lidocaine gel with aloe and tea tree and it is AMAZING for acne. FAR better than the stuff sold as an acne medication. It is super gentle on the skin, the lidocaine makes the zit not hurt so it doesn't get picked at, and the aloe and tea tree oil make it heal faster than anything else I have ever tried even straight tea tree oil (which husband swears by). Everything makes Jess break out and this is about the ONLY thing that helps.

Of course benadryl for the hives or whatever is important. But unless she can't tolerate lidocaine, this would be the best treatment for future outbreaks and it is about $7 for a 4 oz bottle and that will last a LONG time, so it is worth a try. Plus it is great for burns and blisters too.

I hope that you can get her into a dermatologist, just be careful with what they suggest. I have seen several for the psoriatic arthritis and every single thing they suggest or prescribe has camphor or menthol in it and I just can't have those on my skin - I get really sick from both of them.