I have a big red spot

susiestar

Roll With It
I know the nurse made you feel somewhat relieved. Please take your temp now, any time you are up in the night and again in the morning. If you have ANY temperature you NEED to go to the ER to have this tested. If it is blood poisoning it could spread through you in no time at all. With feeling yucky it is possible. It could also be a sign of nerve problems and they are usually easier to fix if you catch them soon.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well I hate to doubt another nurse.........but with you having the overall feeling of yukkiness........along with the redness...........Sweetie this is not sounding good. Seriously, it's not. And it can turn very serious very quickly if it's cellulitis, phlebitis, or just an infection. I know the holidays are here.........by the way happy xmas eve it's 12am as I write this.............but I would feel better, and most likely you will feel better having a doctor look at that foot and take blood test to rule out systemic infection.......which as we all know can turn even nastier still.

I can't force you to go. But if it were me my fanny would be parked in the ER until a doctor looked at that foot and decided all was well.

(((hugs)))

susiestar

Roll With It
Has your foot been lower than your heart most of the time today? If nothing else, spend as much time as possible with your foot propped up so that it is above your heart. It will help the swelling and may help relieve whatever is causing the redness. Lisa is right about the blood tests. We are sending healing prayers and vibes.

Keep us posted on this, please.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
This nurse was from the doctor's office. My surgeon's nurse (all contact with him goes thru her) was ok with this or a wait and see.

I rode with my mom to the pharmacy today, about an hour and a half, but I lay in the backseat with it elevated. I still can't leave it down for any period of time as it swells. Other than that, its elevated above my heart in my recliner rigged with a ton of pillows. That's how i've been pretty much since I came home...if I do anything else, it swells. The ankle joint itself is still significantly swollen, anyway.

I will watch my temp tonight and get in to someone tomorrow. I don't need any kind of bug right now, really. I'll go to the guy who hands out antibiotics freely.

My skin is falling off my heel, too. Its itchy and super gross.

witzend

Shari - I know this sounds silly, but did you google image it? "red spot toe red line itch". I know it sounds stupid, but you'd be amazed at what you can find.

It could be a spider bite that went wrong...

skeeter

Please get this looked at ASAP. This sounds like the exact symptoms my dad would have any time he had a blood clot in his leg (he had the veins in his right leg replaced with tubing because of damage and was on cumadin (sp?) and still would get clots occasionally).

M

Mamaof5

Once you go septic system it's VERY hard to get you back to par. PLEASE don't ignore it, you need a doctor to look at it. Having a septic system is very dangerous and you can go downhill quickly. Infections like septecemia or septic sysem (aka blood poisoning, blood toxcisity) can affect the major organs, especicially the heart. Infection can cause myocarditis which leads to major heart failure. Don't ignore this, please. I've lost family and friends to this, I don't want to see you be taken by this either. You've gone through enough as it is.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I know I'm a little late to this - but add me to the list of folks who thinks you need to get to a doctor ASAP!

And while the nurse was comforting....at the end of the day...she is NOT a doctor. So you must take her advice with a "grain of salt".

FWIW - a nurse told my husband that he was "fine" after checking a suspicious spot. A couple of hours later I found him feverish, sweating profusely and complaining of pain - but unworried cause the nurse pronounced him "fine".

I took him to the ER where they immediately diagnosed cellulitis and rushed him to the surgeon.

I might have lost him if we had let the nurse's opinion be the final word...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
They tell me i'm ok. i spent the night out of the splint and they are not as red today, but i still had it looked at.

susiestar

Roll With It
Thank you for having it checked and letting us know. Keep an eye on your temp and symptoms though. Often we can tell we are sick with something far earlier than a doctor can diagnosis it. Many of us have been to the doctor with a sick kid and the doctor says nothing is wrong but 24 hours later teh doctor says it is the worst whatever he has ever seen.

Merry Christmas!!