I have a huge favor...anyone in Detroit Michigan?

DammitJanet

I am trying to find homes for some kittens and posted them on petfinders. I find it hard to believe that people are going to offer to pay to have ordinary house cats shipped halfway across the country and give me an adoption fee!

Can someone tell me if The Geological Society in Detroit MI is on the up and up of it is some animal cruelty place? I have a guy here who is willing to take them and make them outdoor pets but I was wanting to make them house cats. Somehow this place doesnt exactly sound like that.

meowbunny

Are they offering to pay all these fees by cashier's check and then their "agent" will pick up the kittens? If so, it's a scam. You get the check, you cash the check, you keep your "fair" portion, send them the remainder of the funds. The bank comes back at you for a fake check. Yup, even cashier's checks aren't safe any more.

One easy way to tell is simply say you would prefer the agent bring cash rather than a cashier's check being mailed. Odds are you won't hear from them again.

I agree with Meowbunny. Janet, be very careful. I don't see this as being a good thing. Isn't there anywhere near you that can help place the kittens??? Where I live there are lots of not for profit organizations that try to help. Unfortunately, I don't live anywhere near you.

Maybe you could place signs on bulletin boards in vet offices, grocery stores, etc... letting people know you have kittens.

I hate to see you get ripped off and/or something bad happen to the kittens. :pet: WFEN

goldenguru

I live in Michigan ... how can I help?

First off ... free kittens here are very available. We have many good animal adoption agencies if a legit person were looking for free kittens. Some even come with shots/neutered

Secondly ... this organization is a mining organization. What on earth could they want with free kittens? and why would they be willing to ship them from across the country?

Something smells rotten ... very rotten.

I wonder if they want your kittens for medical experimentation. Don't do it Janet. I would rather see have them destroyed rather than have them used for research.

DammitJanet

See, thats what I dont get.

I was told that placing them in a regular shelter...the normal animal shelters...was an automatic same day kill because they have to keep the animals they find for a few weeks hoping their owners show up but turned in animals are killed the same day.

They said not to turn in animals to no kill shelters and gave a list of places to post them online. I read all this online but it makes no sense to me.

I think Im gonna give them to this guy who has this new trailer and wants to have some cats for his garage. They will be outside kitties but he will make sure they are fed and ok.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet

I wouldn't ship them. Sounds mighty fishy to me.

Have you tried the Humane Society? If they're full they might be able to give you some rescue groups or other facilities to try.

I'm guessing freecycle fell thru??

Are you posting pics with the kittens? That often helps alot.

Hugs

DammitJanet

Freecycle here wont allow animals anymore.

Something is very odd with this petfinders thing. I keep getting emails from people who seem like they are speaking english through a translating program. I would feel more comfortable if someone from my state said they wanted the kittens...ya know? I simply cannot believe that people cant find a cat near them. They are just house cats...not purebreds! I would understand this if they were some exotic breed. I mean they are cute and all but they are normal cats.

Anyone near NC or traveling through here want a cat? LOL.

F

flutterbee

A no kill shelter for kittens should be fine. Kittens always go fast. The problem with some no kill shelters is that they become a place where animals are just warehoused and it's really not a good situation. But, as they're kittens I wouldn't be concerned. Everyone wants the babies.

If you listed them for free, you're probably getting people that are interested in getting the cats to sell to labs for research. If you're offering an adoption fee and still getting oddballs, see what happens if you increase the adoption fee a bit.

Steely

Have you tried posting an ad on Craigs List? I love that website, and I have gotten many great, interested consumers when I have posted on there.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yep. Craig's list is a good one. And even some of the rescue groups ect watch the site for animals in their area. That's how the lil :censored2: that found us wound up with a rescue group for that breed.

I'd say if they're willing to pay alot for an ordinary kitten.... naw, I'd think twice. Especially if their not in your area. Kittens are far easier to come by than puppies. At least around here they are.

Hope you can find them nice homes.

DammitJanet

I pulled them off the site and am giving them to the guy who wants to make them outside kitties. I feel much better about that idea. Better to be outside kitties with their momma than be used for medical experiments. This guy will feed them and neuter them but they will just be outside cats. He wants them to help keep the rodent population down around his barns.

susiestar

Roll With It
Janet, I wish I lived nearby. My kitty (Gracie Lou Freebush after Sandra Bullock's character in Miss Congeniality) is SOOO lonely since our older cat died. And our Cockatiel has her running scared sometimes (like when she gets up by the cage and starts staring.

The bird has all her feathers (not clipped in a while) so she can get away from Gracie, but mostly the bird jsut enjoys chasing Gracie.

I am glad you found a solution that seems workable.

Hugs,

Susie