I have an appointment with psychiatrist

crazymama30

Well, GCV all your points are valid and true. husband's psychiatrist can handle it, I think he was concerned that husband cannot handle it. He can't--his psychiatrist has described him as having schizoaffective tendencies, and the paranoia from his statement proves it. Whether it is a good choice or not, it is his choice and I feel that I have to respect it. I am not angry with husband, but it is difficult to have to regroup and come to another conclusion.

I do have my own therapist (husband does not want one) and have been seeing her off and on for awhile. Lately it has been more on. She suggested the ad's after our visit last week.

I thought about 2 options, pcp and difficult child's psychiatrist. pcp is great, but only works 2 1/2 days a week. I am leery of that, if I have a problem then I am stuck talking to someone else in her group, and I do not like that idea. She is cheap on copays and such, but that is not all I should think about.

I just e-mailed difficult child's psychiatrist to see if he will see me. He does treat some adults, and he is a great communicator by e-mail, which works great for me. When difficult child first started seeing him he required a fairly large deposit to ensure that he would get paid since insurancy companies are so finicky. If there is someway around that, then I will go with him. I hope he goes for it, this up and down stuff is really not helping me at all right now.

Thank you all for your support, without it I really do not know if I would have made it through this ordeal. There is a board I go on for support of family members with BiPolar (BP) (meant for adults) but I get more and better responses here. Thank you so much for your caring, knowing that people care (even if they are imaginary--) helps.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I hope you can find someone to see.
K's psychiatrist will not see N if she ever needs one, unless K OK's it. She says that she respects the first patients feelings in regards to other family members.
I am proud of you for seeking out help though, it is a tough thing to do.

When I first admitted I needed to seek help, it was hard because I had the feeling like i could never be weak. Even though I was not sleeping, I was a complete wreck! I was manic and falling apart... but no, to ask for help and to actually admit it! It is so hard.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Since you are already established with difficult child's psychiatrist, perhaps the whole deposit issue can be waived. I think that might be just as good of an alternative --because that's another person who is familiar already with some aspect of your home life, and in this case it's through difficult child.

Like Nomad said, this doesn't have to be a forever thing. Just take this one day at a time until you feel like you are on more solid ground and feeling better. Don't expect change overnight. Be patient with yourself. Things will get better because you've already taken the first step in acknowledging you need some help with all this!

(((Hugs)))