I have no idea what happened but I think they gave Cory back his civil rights

DammitJanet

Not long after Cory got off his intensive probation for his felonies, he got a letter saying he was called for Jury Duty plus it said that all his rights that had been stripped as a convicted felon had been reinstated. I simply didnt believe it. I figured it had to be a mistake...lol. How on earth can you commit 3 felonies and then get called for Jury Duty when I have lived here since 1990 and never been called?

Well...the date for the jury summons was sent after the fact so he couldnt even go so he just called them and they just said dont worry about it.

Well, I told him not to believe what that letter said. Then the voters registration came. What? You cant vote if you are a convicted felon. But he can. Then he went down to get his fishing license which he gets because he is disabled and he gets that free every year...and they asked him...dont you want your hunting license too? He said...I can get that? They said...click click click...oh sure, says right here you are eligible!

Now there is no way in hades he should be eligible for a hunting license. So Cory is out this morning for the start of Dove Hunting. He still is a bit worried about having a gun in his possession so the guns are in Tony's gun case in the car but Im thinking that if they gave him a hunting license they expect him to use a gun so if a game warden comes up there cant be an issue. All they are going to do is ask to see the hunting license.

I think they expunged Cory's record. Or moved everything down from felonies. Nothing else makes sense.

DDD

Wow! That would be awesome, Janet. Since I don't trust "the system" I would want to verify it. on the other hand, I don't have a clue how that could be done without self identification. Fingers crossed. DDD

witzend

In North Carolina voting rights are restored after the term of incarceration, parole, and probation have been served.

http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=286

He's a stand-up citizen now and voting is everyone's civic duty (said the Eagle Scout Committee Chair). He can register in NC up to 30 days prior to the election, but if they waffle around about it as much as they did when husband and I registered (had to do it three times each) this spring, he shouldn't waste any time in filling it out and taking it to the county registrar. It'll make him feel good about himself to have a say again.

DammitJanet

They already sent him a voters registration card...lol. But it still beats all to me that he got the hunting license. Last year he didnt even try because he figured he couldnt but when the lady said...woah, hey dont you want the hunting? He said well I didnt think I could get one and she said nope, it says you are eligible right here!

InsaneCdn

OK, so this is Canada, but... even here (in gun-shy Canada), unless his sentence specifically includes a prohibition from owning guns, he'd still be allowed a hunting license once he'd served his term including any probation.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Odd. I think there is a glitch in the system and he should be very cautious. As in, I don't give a crud what "they" say, I would be smart and not believe it. My eldest bro has been a convicted felon for some 30 plus years and he can do none of those things. He's never even broken the law since and no one has reinstated his civil rights.

My fear would be, although the glitch would obviously be their fault, well all know the govt agencies never take the blame for anything and he will be the one burnt. Unless his felonies were all as a junvinille, then they *might* have expunged his record. I wouldn't count on that either, though.

I'd not do the hunting license at all if it were me. Wouldn't stop me from hunting, whatever.......but no way would I admit to doing it. Know what I mean??

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Wow. I hate to say it, but it makes me wonder.. could someone have stolen his identity?! Not that reinstating rights and registering to vote would be at the top of someone's list if they did that ....

At any rate, yeah, I'd be cautious.

DammitJanet

Oh his identity has been stolen but it was in NJ and FL. The letter that came about his rights being restored came from the state of NC on their letterhead.

LittleDudesMom

In VA, you have to appeal to the governor if you want to get your rights restored. No voting, no jury duty, no weapons, etc., ever.

Sharon

klmno

I wonder if they had his offenses listed as juvenile offenses. E's were felony offenses but due to his age, his is considered "adjuticated a delinquent" instead of a "felon". He cannot own a weapon for 10 years after his last offense or age 29, whichever comes last (29 in his case and for him that's probably a good idea). He will be allowed to vote. LDM is correct about those being convicted as an adult that's why I wonder if they listed Cory as a juvenile when he was convicted.

DDD

Florida had a procedure in place that allowed restoration petition after x # of years and non violent felons (like most of our difficult children) fairly easily became full citizens again. When Gov. Scott got elected one of the very few things he did in short order was to bring up a piece of legislation that rescinded that long successful program. Allegedly it was proposed by the head of Corrections and law enforcement officials but as time has passed it is more strongly alleged that it was an easy way to restrict voter registration for political purposes. Sigh! DDD

DammitJanet

I have no idea but I am happy for Cory. The little things in life that he enjoys are good for him to have. They keep him on a good path. He was never a violent person. He has been using a gun since he was 6 years old. My boys had a 410 shotgun to use as soon as they were old enough to aim it. It was a right of passage. He hunted last year even though last year he didnt have the hunting license. He just only went with his dad to the private deer woods. Thats what makes us think something really did change because this year they had him listed in the system as able to get the hunting license. Last year when he got his fishing license he hadnt completed his probation. He needed to go in this year to get a copy of his fishing license because he had lost it and they informed him of this.