I have to answer 5 ?'s...want to help edit?

DammitJanet

Ok...I want to think out loud about these questions they want answered.

1. What are the reasons you wish to attend the conference?
As a person who has lived with bipolar disorder, both personally and with my son, I would like to attend NAMI's National Convention because I have a compelling personal interest in keeping abreast of the latest news in the mental health field. I have been a consumer of mental health services for me and my son for the last 17 years and feel I have advocated for both of us to the best of my ability. I have always felt that arming oneself with knowledge is so important when dealing with mental illness.

2. Are you making a presentation at the conference? N/A

3. How will you disseminate information obtained at this conference to local or statewide consumer groups?
<GULP!> I plan to take copious notes, and may record, the workshops that I attend. I would then summarize this information into leaflets that could be printed and released locally or statewide. It is also my understanding from reading the NAMI Convention website that they offer CD’s of all the workshops which could be an invaluable asset. I have also been toying with the idea for the last year or so of putting up a website to help the consumers of mental health services more easily access information through web based portals. I am firm believer in using today’s technology wherever we can.

4. What are the specific issues relating to mental health in which you are most interested?
I have several issues that I am very interested in. I am very interested in Bipolar Disorder in both adults and children. The Human genome project and how it relates to new advances in medications for mental health fascinates me. I hold out much hope that in the very near future medication trials will be a thing of the past. I am also very interested in the disaster that happens when the mentally ill end up revolving through the prison system. Borderline Personality Disorder is also something that is near and dear to my heart.

5. Are you currently involved with any related programs and activities?
I am in ongoing therapy through Community Innovations for the past two years. I completed a group therapy program for survivors of childhood sexual abuse and am looking forward to a group that is to be started soon using DBT. I have also been an active member for 9 years of an online Parent to Parent support group for parents of emotionally, behaviorally and mentally ill children called ConductDisorders.com. This website has been recognized in books such as Dr. Doug Riley’s The Defiant Child, on the Oprah show, and many state websites.

DDD

Here are some thoughts. Today is not one of my brightest days,
however, so please note I am not suggesting you use my suggestions.

Question #1
You are redundant by using "me and my son" and "personally and with my son". Perhaps it would be better to respond:
I have lived with bipolar disorder for many years. My personal
diagnosis. took place in l970 and my youngest son was diagnosed in l994.
Attending the NAMI National Convention would assure that I am
abreast of the more current news available in the mental health
field. As a long time advocate and student of mental health disorders, I am eager to absorb the guidance of National leaders.

Question #3
Although I am a copious note taker, I anticipate supplementing
those notes with the purchase of the CDs that will be available
according to the NAMI Convention website. There are a number of
ways that I am confortably hoping to share this information with
others. Using currently established networks I plan to share the
information gained through Community Innovations (refer to #4),
via my long standing and daily relationship with the internet support group comprised of over four thousand registered visitors
and with qualified professionals in the educational community of
xxx, NC where I reside.

Question #4
I am very interested in a number of areas. As stated before
Bipolar Disorder is most relevant. (I don't have info on the next
couple of sentences). CHANGE: remove "the disaster etc". The
treatment of adults and children with mental health issues when
they ender the Justice system is of great interest from intake
through to incarceration alternatives. Borderline Personality
Disorder is also of personal interest.

Question #5
Sounds good.

And..lol..my fingers are tired.

DDD

DDD

Good Grief........I can't believe the typos and the brain burps!
I did not do a brilliant response. DDD

meowbunny

I would make it less personal, more along the lines of DDD's response. From the questions they're asking, it sounds like they want to know how you plan to "spread the word." I doubt they have much interest in any groups you've belonged to (run, yes; participated in, no). The fact that you're BiPolar (BP) would probably only be of mild interest except to let them know you have some personal knowledge and interest in NAMI, so worth mentioning but not emphasizing.

Since you used to be a social worker (if I remember correctly), it could be worthwhile to bring this into the picture, especially as ways to distribute pamphlets. Something to the effect, "With my experience as a social worker, I can think of many areas where information put into pamphlets would be useful such as in Departments of Mental Health and Social Services offices, foster parents' and adoptive parents' workshops and the like." Maybe you could even consider running a few workshops after NAMI?

Definitely mention the website you're planning but say it is "in the beginning stages" rather than just a vague idea, the leaflets or pamphlets that would be created and distributed (and how you would distribute them) and this site.

Talk to your therapist which way she thinks it is best to go -- on a personal information level or more generic. And that's it my two cents (not that two cents is worth a lot in today's world).

DDD

Since I don't have a life........I wonder about the leaflets
and the web site as there is no funding allocated. Probably you
would have to be extra careful to not overstate?? DDD

DammitJanet

One thing...this is being offered to me because I am a "consumer" (patient) using the mental health system. It is not being funded through NAMI but funded through what used to be called our state mental health system but now known as something different.

Actually it reads: The Center for Mental Health Services, within the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, through a contract with AFYA, INC, is providing financial support to consumers of mental health services who would like to participate in the annual conference sponsored by the National Alliance on Mental Illness. The purpose of the scholarships is to foster transformation of mental health care to focus on recovery.

My plan on the website that I have been toying around with for over a year now is for a tri-county site that covers my local area management office. I cant for the life of me remember what all the little acronyms stand for but one is the LME which is what it would cover. Mine is Southeastern Regional Mental Health. I believe that covers 3 counties. I could have information on those particular counties, the assorted facilities, doctors, etc. Maybe parenting tips, suicide hotline numbers, any support groups that are local, things like that.

DDD

Is the opportunity to apply for attendance what is being offered
or is there an offer for support in following through on the distribution of information gathered at the meeting? I swear I
am not trying to rain on the parade....I just am suggesting that
if there is no follow up funding available then specifics on
sharing opportunitites that require funding, might not be in your
best interests with the application. DDD

DammitJanet

I see your point DDD.

My toying with the idea of the website has been something I was thinking about doing on my own because it costs near to nothing for just an information site. Now something like this site is more spendy but what I would be considering wouldnt get the sort of traffic at any given time make it cost much.

Leaving that part out isnt a problem.

I dont want to commit myself to being able to make personal presentations anywhere either. My health just isnt up to that. I might be able to be available via telecommunications if that were available but I dont know if it is.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Ok...I want to think out loud about these questions they want answered.

Janet - shorten your answers. Keep things present tense. Your answer to #1 sounds like you have beaten being BiPolar (BP).

1. What are the reasons you wish to attend the conference?
As a person who has lived with bipolar disorder, both personally and with my son, I would like to attend NAMI's National Convention because I have a compelling personal interest in keeping abreast of the latest news in the mental health field. I have been a consumer of mental health services for me and my son for the last 17 years and feel I have advocated for both of us to the best of my ability. I have always felt that arming oneself with knowledge is so important when dealing with mental illness.

My son and I both have been diagnosis with BiPolar (BP) so I have personal insight to the disorder. I would like to attend NAMI's NC because I know the only way help will ever be found is to stay abreast of new technologies. My son and I have been consumers of MHS for 17 years. I have advocated for my son, myself and countless others. I am also a long standing member on a support board for persons who are new to the disorder. My insight & advice has proved invaluable for many.

2. Are you making a presentation at the conference? N/A - I am a walking, talking, wealth of information living life every as a person who not only has BiPolar (BP) but has raised a child with BiPolar (BP). My ability to attend this conference and mypresence is an astounding presentation.

(But what do I know? Im only a very proud friend of yours!!)

3. How will you disseminate information obtained at this conference to local or statewide consumer groups?
<GULP!> I plan to take copious notes, and may record, the workshops that I attend. I would then summarize this information into leaflets that could be printed and released locally or statewide. It is also my understanding from reading the NAMI Convention website that they offer CD’s of all the workshops which could be an invaluable asset. I have also been toying with the idea for the last year or so of putting up a website to help the consumers of mental health services more easily access information through web based portals. I am firm believer in using today’s technology wherever we can.

The NAMI website offers CD's to all workshops, and I am going to record the sessions while taking notes. It is my hope to condense this information and begin either a local or statewide newsletter. I am also currently investigating the benefits of owning my own support website with simplicity of use in mind for people who are in need of help.

4. What are the specific issues relating to mental health in which you are most interested?
I have several issues that I am very interested in. I am very interested in Bipolar Disorder in both adults and children. The Human genome project and how it relates to new advances in medications for mental health fascinates me. I hold out much hope that in the very near future medication trials will be a thing of the past. I am also very interested in the disaster that happens when the mentally ill end up revolving through the prison system. Borderline Personality Disorder is also something that is near and dear to my heart.

For obvious reasons I am interested in the advances in Borderline (BPD) medicines for adults and children. It would be nice to see medication trials become a thing of the past. Also, I am interested in the result of family dynamics pertaining to the mentally ill who are revolving through the courts and prison systems. I would like to further my education of those who suffer with BDP disorder.

5. Are you currently involved with any related programs and activities?
I am in ongoing therapy through Community Innovations for the past two years. I completed a group therapy program for survivors of childhood sexual abuse and am looking forward to a group that is to be started soon using DBT. I have also been an active member for 9 years of an online Parent to Parent support group for parents of emotionally, behaviorally and mentally ill children called ConductDisorders.com. This website has been recognized in books such as Dr. Doug Riley’s The Defiant Child, on the Oprah show, and many state websites.

For the past two years I have faithfully participated in therapy through CI. It is my intention to better myself, by continuing with this helpful program, and I look forward to a new program using DBT. I completed a group program for over-comers of childhood sexual abuse. I am a nine year, active member of an online Parent to Parent support group for emotionally disturbed children. Our support group is unique,helpful,insightful and has been given national recognition in books, on a famous television show, and countless other web sites.

Using the word OVERCOMER is better than survived, and you did overcome it - by surviving in my humble opinion. I tell people I am an OVERCOME of domestic violence and torture. To survive doesn't say I went on to live life. I just got through it. Know what I mean??
(don't say which books or tv shows - this lets YOU answer the question personally) also naming us without permission gives a reader the idea you may not be anonymous with HIPA information. Nice plug but ....you have to think about people handing YOU information to you that is to be kept anonymous.