I have to have my grown son arrested for theft

Memedixie

I just found this website tonight and it is a God send. What I am going to have to do is a Mother's nightmare....put her son in jail. I am am planning to semi-retire next year. My mother just celebrated her 90th birthday. Several months ago my son moved in promising to help us. Instead, he has lied and stole from us. The shock of them all came when I went to pay my credit card bill online and noticed how much my payment had increased. When I pulled up my bill, he had charged $2500 on a spending spree over a period of a month. I knew he could not be trusted but never saw this one coming. I am so hurt and I suspect he did even more I am not aware of yet. He is on parole for theft but Obviously did not learn anything from jail the first time around. I just wanted to believe his lies that he had changed so I got screwed. Someone please give me some advice if you have experienced this awful betrayal. I just don't understand. I know he has had drug issues but I think he would do it anyway. My heart is broken and I literally feel sick. Thank you everyone for reading my post.
I want to thank all of you wonderful people for helping me thru this very difficult time. The update is that he is turning himself in tomorrow for his probation violation and knows that he will also face charges for credit card theft. He does not deserve to get away with what he did to me. The only way I will not be held accountable for those charges is to turn him in. I am feeling strong in my conviction to get my and my mother's life back. I feel like I have been living in a nightmare for the past several months! I doubt I would have made the decision to take my life back if I had not found this website. I know I will need help on detaching so I will seek out a good support group in my city. I still need you guys and I will keep posting. My grateful heart goes out to all the other parents going thru these issues that have been so supportive.❤

JaneBetty

Memedixie, I'm glad you posted an update and I'm glad he's turning himself in, and that you found the courage to speak up about the theft and press charges.
Good for you!
Keep posting and let everyone know how things turn out.

:notalone:

Memedixie

Memedixie, I'm glad you posted an update and I'm glad he's turning himself in, and that you found the courage to speak up about the theft and press charges.
Good for you!
Keep posting and let everyone know how things turn out.

:notalone:
Thank you so much I will update as my life is going to change.....for the better now. I realized his lies were getting worse and more often, followed by the stealing that escalated to shocking results. Bless you dear for caring.

Snow White

On the Mad Tea Party Ride
Yes, Memedixie, it's good to hear that your son is taking some accountability for the terrible thing he did to you.

I hope that you can now begin the healing process and get your and your mom's life back on track. I hope you will do something nice for yourselves.

Hugs to you.

Memedixie

Yes, Memedixie, it's good to hear that your son is taking some accountability for the terrible thing he did to you.

I hope that you can now begin the healing process and get your and your mom's life back on track. I hope you will do something nice for yourselves.

Hugs to you.
Thank u Madonna. I am pretty sure he could do prison time but i don't know what will happen. I am trying not to think too far ahead or when the day will come when he asks if he can come back here when he gets out. God help me.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Thanks for the update Memedixie. I'm glad your son is turning himself in and that you are pressing charges.

I am trying not to think too far ahead or when the day will come when he asks if he can come back here when he gets out. God help me.

He may or may not ask if he can come back.....a lot can change from now until then......in the meantime do your best to stay in the present moment and enjoy it!

Memedixie

Thanks for the update Memedixie. I'm glad your son is turning himself in and that you are pressing charges.

He may or may not ask if he can come back.....a lot can change from now until then......in the meantime do your best to stay in the present moment and enjoy it!
I can't believe i can actually look forward to the upcoming weekend! I have been dreading weekends for so long.

Memedixie

My son turned himself in this morning for his probation violation. I am going to let the credit card company know tomorrow where to find him. I am so drained tonight, I just want to rest. Last night we found out his friend that lived down the street was found dead in his bed by his father. It shook him up as it did all of us. My son may have been the last person he talked to before he went to bed that night. I don't know when he will be calling me from jail but I'm sure he will get hit with the new charges of credit card theft in the next few days. I will keep posting and thank you everyone for all your support and encouragement.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
You've done all you can Memedixie, you've done more than enough. Rest now. Get support. Nurture yourself. Be very kind to yourself.

As you may have read, an odd response many of us have is to be relieved and in fact, sometimes glad our adult difficult children are in jail. We can stop worrying, living in fear, wondering if they are alive or if they are stealing from us or doing any number of crummy things.......

I am sorry about the friend down the street passing, perhaps that will give your son something to ponder while he is incarcerated......

Hang in there Memedixie, you're doing the right thing. We're here for you.....

A dad

I can not believe how resorceful Difficult Child can be its not the first time this happened on this forum. Its one thing to get the card but also the PIN that is some sneaky things from them. They say they will help with groceries but their there to see the PIN.

Memedixie

I can not believe how resorceful Difficult Child can be its not the first time this happened on this forum. Its one thing to get the card but also the PIN that is some sneaky things from them. They say they will help with groceries but their there to see the PIN.
He is like Houdini or a pick pocket. He can take something from me right in front of my face and I wouldn't see it. He's very slick.

Memedixie

I just found this website tonight and it is a God send. What I am going to have to do is a Mother's nightmare....put her son in jail. I am am planning to semi-retire next year. My mother just celebrated her 90th birthday. Several months ago my son moved in promising to help us. Instead, he has lied and stole from us. The shock of them all came when I went to pay my credit card bill online and noticed how much my payment had increased. When I pulled up my bill, he had charged $2500 on a spending spree over a period of a month. I knew he could not be trusted but never saw this one coming. I am so hurt and I suspect he did even more I am not aware of yet. He is on parole for theft but Obviously did not learn anything from jail the first time around. I just wanted to believe his lies that he had changed so I got screwed. Someone please give me some advice if you have experienced this awful betrayal. I just don't understand. I know he has had drug issues but I think he would do it anyway. My heart is broken and I literally feel sick. Thank you everyone for reading my post.

Memedixie

I accepted a call from my son from jail today. Today is is birthday. I am still trying to process all this and feel sick that he has chosen such a destructive path for his life. He hasn't just done this to himself but has hurt so many people. He would STILL be stealing and lying if he wasn't in jail. I am praying to find peace knowing there is nothing, as his mom, that I can do to help him.

JaneBetty

Meme, you did the best job you could, and you are to be commended.

In your last post, you acknowledged that he would still be lying and stealing if he weren't in jail, and that he has hurt many people.

It is good that you can see this.

Let's hope your son engages in some kind of self reflection while in jail.

Take some time to be good to yourself. Can you talk to your other son about your feelings? I'll bet he has a different perspective, and that he might be a source of support for you.

Memedixie

Meme, you did the best job you could, and you are to be commended.

In your last post, you acknowledged that he would still be lying and stealing if he weren't in jail, and that he has hurt many people.

It is good that you can see this.

Let's hope your son engages in some kind of self reflection while in jail.

Take some time to be good to yourself. Can you talk to your other son about your feelings? I'll bet he has a different perspective, and that he might be a source of support for you.
Tandemdane, thank you for reaching out to me. I am feeling so sad about everything that has happened. I know it is going to take time for me to process this. Having to add to his jail sentence with the credit card theft may send him to prison. I know this is his doing but it I still hurt for him. I am his mother. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

Memedixie

Tandemdane, thank you for reaching out to me. I am feeling so sad about everything that has happened. I know it is going to take time for me to process this. Having to add to his jail sentence with the credit card theft may send him to prison. I know this is his doing but it I still hurt for him. I am his mother. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do but I know it's what I have to do. It's horrible but he has got to be held accountable.