I jinxed myself

DammitJanet

Our wonderful, smart dear friend DDD gave some wonderful advice to me one time about calling probation officers, etc. She told me that we were parents not law enforcement. It was not our job to work for law enforcement and turn them in. Of course we shouldnt lie but not go out of our way to report them. I often kept from knowing actual addresses so if asked I couldnt give an address. I could say...well he/they live over in the Pembroke area somewhere but Im not sure what the address is.

Childofmine

one day at a time
TL, I am sorry, but you are doing all of the right things in trying to stay strong, let go and be kind to yourself.

Sometimes, when my difficult child keeps on doing dumb and dumber stuff, it helps me let go more. He's not "kind of doing better" which gets me confused about my role---do I help when asked or not?

When he is completely off the rails, it is clear that I don't need to do anything at all.

I can't fix addiction. I can't fix stupid. I can't fix bad and badder decisions. I can't even fix his one step forward and two steps back progress, when it occurs.

I just need to stand back and stand down and let him walk his path. Whatever it is.

Fear gets in the way, and when it does, I have to get busy doing physical things, like working in the yard, scrubbing that everlasting kitchen floor and then taking a nap and reading a good book.

I have to feel the fear, but not act on it. Your fear won't kill you, TL, so just let it flow over and through you if you need to. Lie down and cry, then rest, then get up and dump your thoughts and feelings into a journal. Those small steps will help you when the fear and sadness and despair take over.

We are here for you. You have done all you can do, for now. Let it go as best you can. Warm hugs.

toughlovin

Janet.... I have come to that too.... better for me not to know where he actually is so when I asked I can honestly say I don't know. I am not going to lie for him but I dont have to police him either.

And COM you are absolutely right... I cant say scrubbing floors is my idea of a good distraction though!!! But I did spend the day playing in a bridge tournament with a friend and that was a great distraction and I had fun doing it!!

The waiting is hard.... but really I just have to remind myself that he has good survival skills and when he needs something I am sure he will call me.

TL

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

Kathy813

Staff member
I can't fix addiction. I can't fix stupid. I can't fix bad and badder decisions. I can't even fix his one step forward and two steps back progress, when it occurs.

I just need to stand back and stand down and let him walk his path. Whatever it is.

I like that COM. . . particularly the "can't fix stupid." So much of what my difficult child does is just plain stupid.

~Kathy

TearyEyed

TL,

Just wanted to let you know I am sending hugs and prayers your way. My son was just arrested last week because he also had a warrant out for not showing up for his court hearing at the beginning of August. I too am working hard to fight off some depression. Use the tools that so many wise people here have mentioned and keep reading and posting. I am thinking of you. Stay strong.

TE

DammitJanet

You wanna know stupid? All of Cory's driving problems started because he refused to pay a seat belt ticket! How stupid was that?