I just emailed difficult child's guidance counselor, and a local optional school

TerryJ2

... to see if the optional public school would be a good fit for difficult child.
I have been waiting to talk to the guidance counselor, but she is so busy, I gave up and just emailed the optional school on my own. I asked if a kid has to drop out of HS first, to be admitted, or if I can be proactive and enroll him in Aug.
I just know he's going to fail and end up with-a bad crowd. He's already headed in that direction. We can't afford an expensive Outward Bound HS for 4 yrs.

Thanks for listening. Just had to send this out into cyberspace ...:bloodshot::hamwheelsmilf:

B

Bunny

What is the optional school? I hope that they get back to you and that they can take difficult child next school year.

klmno

What grade is he in this year, Terry? Is moving to a neighboring jurisdiction an option? My son has bragged and bragged about how the kids at his new school are so nice and welcoming. It really makes a difference and makes me wish I had moved out of the jurisdiction we used to live in years earlier. That sd had the best of everything but that's where their money went-- they didn't want any going to any spec needs kids/difficult children. This sd has old archaic equipment but has gotten academic and sports awards and are nicer and more accommodating. And they have security cameras pointed at all doors so no kid can just walk out of HS after roll call and no idiot can storm in on a tyrant and go unnoticed.

TerryJ2

He's in 8th gr.
I just got emails back from the guid couns and the secret at the optional school.
The guid couns said she'd be happy to talk with-me after she hears from the optional school folks.
The email from the optional school said that they don't have many kids with-504s and not a lot of interventions. They are an at-risk school for kids at risk of flunking out, or who have been kicked out for drugs.
Sigh. Why the H do they think kids do these thing? 90% of them have spec needs and need the one-on-one and interventions. That's why the school is so small. It's working and they don't even know why.
Arrgh.

buddy

Can you arrange to go see the optional school? Maybe then you can see if you even want him around those kids....it might say they help but maybe it is a holding tank for kids and they spend time planning to meet to get drugs or whatever...would be awful if they figured out that difficult child is vulnerable and easily influenced. on the other hand if they are good and seem to really be supporting and monitoring, then maybe in person you can make your case and that personal connection will get them to help you enroll him??

TerryJ2

Nope. I'm trying not to wait that long.

He's old for 8th gr. He's got a Dec birthday, plus, we held him back a yr.