I just want to punch people in the face sometimes

N

nandz

When difficult child is having a "moment", I get people staring at him and me asking me "what is wrong with him??!!" I just get so sick of it and I just want to punch in the face and tell them to shut up. They have no clue what my life is like until they walk a minute in my shoes...

susiestar

Roll With It
I know the feeling. Sometimes people are too idiotic for words. Once in a while I have even made up words and told people that it is his "diagnosis". Mostly it confuses them and they go away because they don't know if it is catching. I also am twisted enough to enjoy the confused look on their faces.

It is esp hard when you know they are being judgmental, isn't it?

{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}

Farmwife

I suggest going ahead and opting for the punch to the face. It is highly therapuetic.:thumbsup:

(I am not a lawyer and do not play one on t.v. Any suggestions given here are not to be taken seriously)

Can you tell I am a recovering difficult child myself?

On a serious/sarcastic note I would respond and kind of be a jerk about it. It would go something like this.

"My son/daughter has "enter diagnosis here". It is a medical condition that causes these behaviors. Contrary to what you may be thinking I am a good parent and work harder than most parents do at that role. Just curious though...what condition do you have that makes you think it's alright to get into a complete strangers business?"

Of course they will get huffy as if you incorrectly assumed they were being #%*@ when they "politely" asked you a completely "non" judgmental question.

Just in case you are not much for words...Whatever unique response you come up with practice over and over to yourself until you have it down perfect and can spit it out in a tense moment. You would be amazed how good it feels to finally stand up to people like that and have a small victory. Though being hostile is never okay a quick retort to someones rude and preumptuous statements is perfectly fair and reasonable.

When people stare at me I just stare back, but harder. If that doesn't send a message I raise an eybrow and put a hand on my hip with a headcock. IF that fails me I lean forward and hiss like an angry kitty cat, yes that's right I hiss! Makes my hubby laugh and the other people quit their junk because they are afraid I am nuts. ;)

Stand up for yourself if you feel confronted then you can drive home smug instead of irritated. That smug feeling after voicing off to jerks has saved me years of therapy. lol

Anyway...have fun with it. difficult child pulling antics in public is hard enough.

Last edited:

TerryJ2

Well, you may be arrested if you actually punch them. But you could say,
"Oh, he just got upset by looking at you."
Okay, that's mean. :laugh:
Just lending support ...

susiestar

Roll With It
I find that it usually comes from people who have kids who behave well when mommy is looking but are total brats when she isn't. I have been known to say, "He has more challenges than most. Why is your daughter so rude and mean when you are not looking?"

Of course my community is small enough that you run into the same people over and over again so you usually know which kids are like that and why.

In my less adult moments I have been known to hold up my index finger and thumb like I am pinching something and pretend to squish their heads. It REALLY gives them a jolt when they realize what I am doing. hey, it makes ME feel better!

tictoc

One day I told off an elderly woman who was trying to "discipline" difficult child. And, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I, too, am tired of people who think it is their business to deal with my child, especially when I am quite obviously dealing with his behaviors myself.

Some time ago, I read a book (title and author since forgotten) by a man whose daughter had a disorder that made her unable to speak. A woman in the grocery store told him that if the daughter could not behave any better, then she should be institutionalized. The father told her, "I hope you get cancer."

I laughed until I cried. (Disclaimer: My husband is a cancer survivor and I have lost several relatives, including my father, to cancer, so I know it is no laughing matter)

Good luck. I feel your pain.

JJJ

(((Hugs))) We were once again asked to leave somewhere today because of the boys behaviors. It totally stinks. I couldn't even get mad at the lady who asked us to leave because the boys were being disruptive. Sad that I was happy to get them both out to the car without having to drag them :(

TerryJ2

A woman in the grocery store told him that if the daughter could not behave any better, then she should be institutionalized. The father told her, "I hope you get cancer."

OMG!!!