I know this has been covered, but

wakeupcall

I can't find the threads and I'm going to try Melatonin for my difficult child when he can't sleep. I've heard nothing but good things about it and the Rozerem doesn't do a thing to help. He's almost 12 and weighs 85 lbs , is 1 mg enough?

TrishaBC

Welcome to the "thank goodness for Melatonin" club! We have used it for about 6 years and I can't imagine what we would do without it. My twelve year old takes 6mgs of it, we bumped him up about two years ago, from 3 to 6mgs. We found he wasn't falling asleep well, and wasn't staying asleep. I would defineatly start with 3 mgs and go from there.

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #990000"> start with-3mgs & you can titrated up from there if need be.

we are never with-o melatonin in our house. we get it at sam's....in the LARGE bottle lol.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #990000"> by the way, when you look for info you know has been discussed before be sure to check the archives.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

jannie

trying to survive....
I've started out giving my 10 year old 3 mg and it worked wonders. Personally, I wouldn't wait until he couldn't fall asleep. I'd give it to him between 7:00 and 8:00 and see what happens. What time does he generally go to bed? I truly believe my kids irritability stems from lack of sleep.

EB67

Seb is 7 and weighs around 50 pounds. He takes 3 to 4 mg. an hour before bedtime. VERY effective.

I am still trying to figure out if it is safe to take long term as I feel like Seb will need it for a long while... The literature I've read says that it should be taken for a month or so but beyond that it's unclear.

Does anyone know anything about long term usage of Melatonin? I heard anecdotally that if you take it for too long your own body stops producing the hormone in Melatonin.

Speaking of which, it's 8:15. Melatonin time!

For those with sensory kids who won't take pills, it does come in a liquid suspension by Natrol that seemlessly mixes with orange juice.

wakeupcall

The Melatonin I got today is sublingual (melts under the tongue). I gave him the 1 mg about 30 min. ago, so we'll see if it has any effect. I didn't know that it was necessary to take it every night, EB67. I thought it was used prn.