I know this is being facetious but....

muttmeister

there is definitely a grain of truth here.

I'm against the $85,000,000,000.00 bailout

Instead, I'm in favor of giving $85,000,000,000 to America in
a We Deserve It Dividend.

To make the math simple, let's assume there are 200,000,000
bonafide U.S. Citizens 18+.

Our population is about 301,000,000 +/- counting every man, woman
and child. So 200,000,000 might be a fair stab at adults 18 and up..

So divide 200 million adults 18+ into $85 billon that equals $425,000.00.

My plan is to give $425,000 to every person 18+

Of course, it would NOT be tax free.
So let's assume a tax rate of 30%.

Every individual 18+ has to pay $127,500.00 in taxes.
That sends $25,500,000,000 right back to Uncle Sam.

But it means that every adult 18+ has $297,500.00 in their pocket.

What would you do with $297,500.00 to $595,000.00 in your family?
Pay off your mortgage - housing crisis solved.
Repay college loans - what a great boost to new grads
Put away money for college - it'll be there
Save in a bank - create money to loan to entrepreneurs.
Buy a new car - create jobs
Invest in the market - capital drives growth
Pay for your parent's medical insurance - health care improves
Enable Deadbeat Dads to come clean - or else

Remember this is for every adult U S Citizen 18+ including the folks
who lost their jobs at Lehman Brothers and every other company
that is cutting back. And of course, for those serving in our Armed Forces.

If we're going to re-distribute wealth let's really do it...

If we're going to do an $85 billion bailout, let's bail out every adult U S Citizen 18+!

As for AIG - liquidate it.
Sell off its parts.
Let American General go back to being American General.
Sell off the real estate.
Let the private sector bargain hunters cut it up and clean it up.

How do you spell Economic Boom?

And remember, The Family plan only really costs $59.5 Billion because $25.5 Billion is returned instantly in taxes to Uncle Sam.

Kindest personal regards, , A Creative Guy & Citizen

DazedandConfused

Well, very interesting.

I could definitely payoff the mortgage and finish my three-quarter renovation.

I'm live in an area that has been hit much harder than most because of the mortgage bust. Two big developments just down the street from me;most of the houses sit empty. Many have been vandalized.

I know two people that have walked away from their mortgages because they financed with an ARM with no down payment. Of course, everyone believed the market was going to continue skyrocketing (my house went up in value 150% at the height of the boom, of course it's worth less now than when I bought it eight years ago but I'm still not upside down), so they were all in a hurry to buy something before it went up even more.

But, what goes up must come down. It came down real hard.

klmno

I'd vote for that!! I heard another scenario being discussed where it was n't just for 18+ yo. It was based on how many people are in the hosuehold, no matter what the age. So, parents in a household with 2 kids would get 4 times as much as a single person, but it still sounded good!

DammitJanet

Ok....upon further thinking...because I actually do think once in a blue moon...this probably wouldnt work very well.

It sounds wonderful in theory if you could hold the world in a vacuum and make people do exactly what you want them to do but reality just doesnt work that way.

The minute that much cash floods the streets, prices are going to skyrocket. Instant inflation. How are we going to ensure that people are going to actually pay off their debts instead of just going hog wild on a new toy? One would hope that people would actually pay off their mortgages instead of buying that new yacht but impulse control isnt exactly this generations strong suit.

And what about our lovely non working, in and out of jail citizens? Hand them this much money and they are gonna end up dead. Might as well stick the drugs on a street corner and have a free for all.

This would do away with the welfare system because it would put everyone over the resource limit so everyone would have to find some sort of healthcare. Or god forbid...a job with health care. But then...that puts all the people who work for the social services departments out of a job too. Oops. Well...at least until all that money is gone. So now we have a huge swing.

muttmeister

I'd be willing to bet that if they actually did something like that and you came back and checked in 5 years, most of the people who had been rich to start with would be richer and most of the people who had been poor to start with would be in debt again. Yes, there would be some exceptions but in most cases people would go back to their old habits, good or bad.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Sorry - no written opinion at this time.

I'm just gonna think it. ;)

Last edited:

SRL

Star, I understand, but we don't discuss politics here at the site. Anyone reading this thread, please don't go in this direction.

witzend

Star, I understand, but we don't discuss politics here at the site. Anyone reading this thread, please don't go in this direction.

Yes, no politics, because I have plenty to say that I've been holding back for a looonngg time and goodness knows what might happen if I open the floodgates!

TerryJ2

Fun idea, Mutt, regardless whether the math is right. :) (I didn't dare compute it.)

And I agree with-you and Janet, that the people who start off with-$ will end up with-it, for exactly the same reason. They know how to handle $ to begin with.
But you can't make people do that.

Surveys of folks who have won millions in lotteries bear out the same concept--the ones who started out stable and/or wealthy stayed that way. Some even kept their jobs. The ones who started out dirt poor ended up even worse.

I love reading about people who win the lottery and what they do with-the $.

My husband and I talk about it every few mo's. My first goal, aside from paying off the mortgage and paying the kids' tuition, is to do a hostile takeover of our local SPCA. ;) :smug: I'd expand it to hold 4X as many animals, hire a hundred more employees to go to people's homes and do fence checks, paint murals on the walls of the bldg, and do lots of community education.

I'd probably donate some $ to some orphanages (do we have any in the U.S.?).