I know this is small potatoes, but....

wakeupcall

He got a huge tatoo. Spent his whole last paycheck on it and thinks it's wonderful. Whatever. I'm soooo all done with this.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
They usually don't know how to future think or plan, everything is instant gratification, 'I want it, I will have it, so what if it is my last $10 and I have no place to stay, no food and no options.'

They all seem to think in that fashion.

You've made your boundaries. You've made it clear. When he is hungry or needs something necessary it will be up to him, not you, to figure it out.

pasajes4

Mine made $100 dollars helping a neighbor, and he got a tattoo of the Alamo on his upper right arm. It has Remember The Alamo across the top. It covers his entire upper arm. I laughed my rear off. I asked him if he was afraid that when he became old and senile that he might forget the Alamo.

HeadlightsMom

Well, I join you all in this thread in experience! Our difficult child has a plethora of tattoos now. Let's see: a gang sign (wrist), giant i-don't-know-what (calf), another gang sign (chest), his son's name (forearm), and his ex-girlfriend (other forearm). Zoiks. He regrets them ALL now, except for his son's name on his forearm. He particularly regrets his ex-girlfriend's name on the other forearm and is seeking a way to morph it into something else.

And let's not even get into unsanitary self-piercings. Sigh.....

RE ---- I think you nailed it nicely --- fashion du jour and it's up to them to deal with the consequences of their choices (particularly the adult difficult child's).

Lil

I have no problem with tattoos...have two myself (small and easily concealed). But the lack of foresight astounds me. Before Saturday, when I thought things were still okay, he'd gotten a paycheck (pre-quitting) He took a weekend 3 hours away with friends, hotel, gas, food, bought a PS2 and some games, bought a bunch of Dungeons and Dragons stuff, books, etc., planned on buying more. It was like, "I have money, I'll spend it." I mentioned that he was buying stuff he wanted, not what he needed. That he needed to save some. Well, now he's homeless...so I guess he'll be selling the stuff he just bought. Pretty sure he doesn't have a dime of the nearly $700 he stole from us.

HeadlightsMom

Lil --- Ouch! He stole $700 from you? Not cool! Ours has stolen from us, too. Painful act. Sorry you experienced that.

Tattoos are an interesting thing. I have none (I'm into the natural thing -- no tattoos, no make-up, no piercings, don't even dye my silvering hair -- which I love!). But I have seen some pretty nifty tattoos (I have one friend who has a giant rose/vine kind of a tattoo on her shoulder (like 6"?) and it's beautiful! But my difficult child's tattoos are cheaply done and gang signs are a problem.

by the way, I hear ya on the not thinking ahead thing. That's been a HUGE problem for our difficult child. Still is. Might be wrong here, but it seems so many difficult child's can only think 20-min ahead. Hard to get a life around that!

wakeupcall

Ok, so I'm trying to think of the good side....there is no profanity, no names, no skulls...it's just huge and colorful. Sigh. Who would have thought ANY of us would be here? I like all of you, but I really wish I didnt feel a reason to be here. It's over and done...can't change it.... All of this exhausts me.