I know...

tiredmommy

it's the steroids that has turned my little Duckie from her usual loving and compliant self (can you sense the sarcasm) to the evil creature that is sitting near me right now.

I also know that her sensory issues are probably through the roof right now. It may even be her asthma making it difficult for her.. but she's driving me nuts.

She will not blow her nose!

It's absolutely disgusting. :bloodshot:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I'm sorry, TM. but I had to laugh. It is gross. I wonder how many days I drove people nuts prior to sinus surgery! lol

Ear plugs?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
If it makes you feel any better (yeah, right) easy child has the same problem -- she hates to do it. She only just started being able to effectively blow her nose this last cold she had. Before, all she would do was wipe it. Or if she DID try to blow (after hours of my nagging) she'd cover the nostrils so tightly, no air could escape. She's slooooowly getting the technique down, but it's been a frustratingly long battle.

Will she tolerate getting her face wet? If so, try putting her in the tub for a warm bath and have her blow bubbles with her nose. If she'll go under water to do it, so much the better. That might help clear things out. You can always rinse her off again after she's done. :)

Janna

Ok, now that I've stopped laughing....

do you really want to know what I would do? (I swear I'm horrible)

Get one of those bulbs that you use when they're a baby and unable to blow. Let her know if she can't do it like a "big girl", you can take care of it for her.

Tadaaaaaa!

tiredmommy

Shari- Did I mention that she is even more talkative than normal and has been continually seeking me out since she's been 'roiding? I hid in the laundry room for awhile after she got home from school. Ear plugs just won't cut it, she'll find other ways to torture me. :nono:

Do you have any saline nasal spray?? Just spraying it can help quite a bit. I hate sick, hope she is better soon.

HOC, I'm not sure if you mean I should have her use the saline spray on her nose (Which she does) or simply spray her with saline solution so that she'll leave me alone. :winks:

GCV- I'm not going to be able to make it until 4th grade... I just can't! Yuck!!! :ill:

Janna- I like your thinking. :devil:

Lothlorien

Missy doesn't like to blow. She does, sometimes now. Ask the doctor if you can give her some Triaminic nasal spray. I would only do it for no more than four days, because she can get rebound congestion after four days. I gave it to Missy to help her with the congestion not long ago. She didn't like it, so now she'd rather blow. I used the kids Triaminic for myself while I had the sinus infection. It especially helped just before bed.

tiredmommy

Thanks, Loth. I doubt the doctor would okay it because the kid is on so many medications even though none are actually decongestants. He'll tell to grow up and blow. :winks:

Wiped Out

Staff member
TM,
I'm sorry Duckie isn't feeling well and even sorrier that it's causing you not to feel well due to her behavior!

rejectedmom

How about planting a mirror in frount of her so she can see how gross she is? I had to do this with my difficult child 2 at the dinner table because he ate like an animal and let food just hang out of his mouth it helped. -RM

BestICan

This community rocks.
Urrrrgh, I used to take steroids for asthma, and they turned me into an evil creature. An evil, hungry creature. Sorry to hear what you're going through.

My difficult child has a real problem with nose blowing, too. I dread when he gets a cold because I know sooner or later I'll be shrieking, "PROPER BOOGER MANAGEMENT!!!" at him. My fave is when he *does* blow his nose but he then doesn't crumple or toss the tissue...just leaves it on the table for all to see. Gaaaaahhhh!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Rofl. It's awful but not blowing her nose is funny. Needless to say I don't think either son has blown their nose. Fortunately they seldom are sick with colds. I'm just tickled that they cover their mouths when they sneeze. Yuck.

When difficult child had steroids for asthmatic bronchitis (before 4) it brought me to tears. He was like a whirling dervish. It was horrid so I can relate. Sorry for you.
Hope today is a better day.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
TM ~ I'm so used to this from both of the tweedles. And they are 14 going on 24! Disgusting!

I've been on steroids for going on 2 years now - hate how they make me feel. I can't imagine how hard it would be for a kid.

tiredmommy

BIC- She will also leave the any tissues (from wiping her nose) just lying around. Or worse, she will try to hand them to me. Eeww!

Fran- Whirling dervish is a perfect description! The good news is that she took her last dose last night. Maybe she will calm down within a day or two?

Linda- The sad thing is that she is trying hard to behave. She's being quite well behaved this morning but I wonder how long she can hold it together.

busywend

TM - been there done that! difficult child does blow now - but it took years to get her to that point.

I could empathize because, I myself refused to blow until I was an adult. It was uncomfortable. I hated to do it. I also hated to have my nails cut. It actually hurt.

Show her the 'hang the kleenex from the nose' trick. It helps and is much more comfortable. (sorry for putting that picture in your head everyone!!).

M

ML

I recently heard blowing noses isn't good. Maybe we should all listen to Duckie lol. When you do blow, you're supposed to close one nostril and blow one at a time, gently. Those steroids are so much fun (not)!

tiredmommy

RM- I'm sorry, I missed your post. I doubt a mirror would help Duckie. She'd just make silly faces while sniffling.

Wendy- She already does that, attempted to go through dinner with a tissue hanging from her nose. :mad:

Thanks ML. The problem for Duckie is that she refuses to blow hard enough to move anything. It's pathetic.

Well, the plot thickens. She had a small hive on her face this morning and another on her underarm this afternoon. :hammer: I suspect it's an immune response to the virus du jour rather than an allergy (it's happened before). Did I mention tomorrow is spring picture day at school? :rofl:

rejectedmom

OH my I can just picture that beautiful photo that you will so much want to distribute to all the family. NOT!

My grandson had a virus last week that gave him hives also thy were short lived but the virus was not he is still home and still coughing. -RM