I liked orange

Star*

call 911........call 911
Yup...I liked orange. I liked it so much that to pull myself out of this recession, no job having, hotter in S.C. than hades funk? When I got to the dollar General store and saw the bottle of nail polish hanging there on that peg? I bought it.

I swear it didn't scream 'buy me'. I am not trying to start my mid-life crisis either. I haven't gotten to that point where I need to be casually reminded by friends to dress my age yet, nor do I lack the capacity or mental faculties to judge for myself what is good taste. I just saw the bottle, and like GCV with her in laws got that I'm over 40 (just barely :redface:) and don't care, nare-do-well attitude and thought "If I don't do it now I may never have the courage to do it again." and threw caution and a dollar to the wind and got the orange nail polish.

So there we are - me and the Pootie, on the bed, all laid out with the trappings of a self-proclaimed poor mans Korean beauty parlor. I looked too in the Walmart to see what all they had because I'm amazed what it takes now to have your nails done and the local nail shops around here are all Korean run. I speak a few words of Korean - enough to say hello, thank you - and all the people I've met have been extremely nice, and so organized, professional - I just stepped in to see what they had, that I would need since I can't afford to have a manicure.

I figured I start with my toes. If I didn't like orange? It would be in my shoes, or flops - and who would notice? Not one to waste a dollar I would keep the color for at least a week. One coat made my toes look like I was a cadaver - no joke. Sickly. Ghastly. So two coats. Not bad but once you go this far - you may as well go Cleveland Browns - and well that wasn't happening - but I did manage some kind of pale pumpkin on the third coat and called in a night. Mostly because I think Pootie was getting high at this point. She had buried her head under the quilt at first then abandoned ship for the hall. Most of me would like to think it was the smell - the rest of me KNOWS it was her taking one look at the color and running for the hills because when I do mine? I do hers too. She was having no part of Pumpkin toes.

So whats so great about orange toes? Not much except this morning with coffee I walked outside and checked the storm damage from last night in bare feet and as I'm walking something in the grass caught my eye and I thought it was a Texas Cattle Killer - (a type of very venomous wasp - that looks like a fuzzy ant) and jumped back so fast I spilled my coffee only to realize it was MY stupid painted toes. Yup score one for youthful color on middle aged toes.

Later after I refreshed my cup - I walked outside to hand the Bulldog his treat and went to walk IN the house, was wiping my feet looked down just before I walked in the house and startled myself again! I mean in nature Orange and Red things mean CAUTION - yeah - My toes - great cause for alarm. I thought Holy crud Star that's twice this morning you've scared yourself with your feet. Dummy. - So while I think that it's great to try new and fun things I'm not so sure I recommend orange toe polish - Not sure why the red didn't do the same thing. I tried that last week for the first time too. (Dad never let us wear that - and I never tried anything but pink or corals all my life - maybe a dark maroon) OH and I did purple a few weeks ago. That looks great but it sure didn't scare me. lol.

So now - I'm thinking about maybe orange with ....stripes - lol...rrrrawr.

Thinking maybe I'll put it with the halloween costume of the tigress. hahaha. Let someone else get a scare.

susiestar

Roll With It
Orange nail polish is a hot seller in our town because OK State U's colors are orange and black. I am not a big fan but Jessie likes it. She also likes blues and greens. I really hate some of the greens. She has one that makes her nails look moldy. I saw a toenail poking out from under a sheet the other night and thought she had something moldy sitting there. Ick.

Nail polish is cheap and can be a lot of fun. Jess gets exasperated because I grab the wilder colors to color code things when any of us end up with something identical. Usually I put an initial on in the nail color. Years ago I had a color that was an exact match for a car we had. I used to touch up little nicks and scratches so they wouldn't end up rusting. Two thin coats would last forever.

If you have any of those acrylic craft paints you can use them to put dots, flowers, stripes, etc... on top of a base color. Just put two thin coats of clear over them. Or of a sheer iridescent color. Use a brush that has only a couple of bristles (trim the rest down with scissors instead of pulling them out so they won't all fall out of the handle) so you can do very tiny designs. Or use a pointy toothpick.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Susie* -

They had those thin designer paints that I've seen the girls doing crazy things with their nails with - I love art so if I had the extra money I would have gotten a few colors to play with - but I like the toothpick idea - I just don't have any neat colors yet. I haven't ever been able to grow hair or nails - (construction work and my hair just grows to a certain length and stopped) - just above my belt loops. Dermatologist said that's just genetics. I know he's right because I haven't cut my hair since dude was born (20 years - so if it grew? It would be down to my ankles) and I have never colored or done a thing to it even highlight or permed....

Dermatologist said - your hair grows to the length it will be - the hair stays alive 3-5 years then dies, falls out or can be pulled out prematurely by (brushing, split ends, improper care, dyeing, over processing) and mine? Just gets to about 4" above my belt loops and that's it. If I had that angora gene - like the cat or rabbit? Or Crystal Gail? It would go to the floor - and my nails would grow non-stop too - but I didn't get that gene - Instead I got the funny -bone gene. :tongue: along with a mish-mosh of crappy genetic health issues that have surfaced as I've gotten older. Gee thanks. lol. I was hoping for the my boobs will never sag gene, I'll never have to exercise and stay fit gene, I'll never get turkey neck gene, can't tell MY age by my hands gene, age gracefully gene, won't loose my short term mem....moomor.....mimori....thing that you remember with....gene.

But alas....I am baking cupcakes in Alaska today with a migrant worker from Guatemala, and tomorrow we're going on a expedition to tag trees that they make photo paper from with red ribbon. Yup. Normal as pink rain. ;)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL - Star - this made me roll.

Our high school's colors are black and orange - nice for football season, right there with Halloween - so the last 2 years for football for Jett I have painted my toes and fingers orange.

Last year I found some NEON orange. It was AWESOME!

But - no scares. Not after all the comments my mother made.

And during Relay season? Purples!!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I needed this laugh today! Thank you for continuing to bless us all with your unsinkable wit and charm. :bigsmile:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL was just talking about blues, greens and purples with my EMT friend. He carries - in the medic unit and in his truck - nail polish remover wipes. That way the medics can see cyanosis. I'm sure there's a better way to detect it, but tried and true... LOL!

M

Mamaof5

You have a marvelous knack for words. Have you considered being a writer? You keep your audience in your story very fluidly and very effectively. I like your stories about your life, you should write a book geared to some of these well put stories you've posted here. I think you'd be successful at it, very successful.

As for the nail polish - my daughter did my toes yesterday (8 year old) and I said "muck a duck, I might as well keep it on" Sparkles with light pink (Hannah Montana nail polish lol) turns out, my toes look good in my Okanashi flip flops now (on sale at Zellers for 11 bucks - sales make me smile lol). I am not a girly girl - I am a major tom boy kind of lady. I stepped out of my comfort zone yesterday and it kind of felt nice....You go girl!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I don't "do" nail polish. From the fibro, I have heavily ridged nails, plus I'm allergic to formaldehyde which is in most nail polishes.

No pretty colors are worth having your cuticles break out in blisters. Add in the fact that like KLMO, I have familial tremor AND take medications that cause tremor...well...I just try to keep em clean and trimmed and go with that.

I've also never been able to type with long nails and that's always made me crazy.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Mama and chicky -

I love to write - I'm just kinda scattered.....I'm not sure what exactly to write about I mean if I write about my life it would have to be science fiction - although I will say I did send a picture of my orange toes to Mstang. Made her snort. In kind I got back a lovely picture of her red toes. No prancy shoes - just feet. I shall fix that the next time I text my feet anywhere - I sent her a picture of my @55 too - nice, old, hairy thing. She didn't say but I think she liked it more than my feet. He didn't have any toes. 4 hooves - nicely trimmed.

trinityroyal

I don't "do" nail polish

GN, I don't do nail polish either. For me, it's a Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) thing. The polish feels heavy and weird, and is just a bad sensory experience overall.

Darn shame too, because pretty pedicured toenails would go nicely with the girly-girl rest of me. Oh well...

Star, if you ever decide to give up on the orange polish you can send it my way for Baby Tyrantina, once she's old enough for toe polish. I'm hoping that she will (a) NOT have her mother's sensory issues and (b) be every bit as much of a girly-girl as I am.

At the moment I have my nails polished with bright turquoise glitter nailpolish! I love the fun colors (except for the OPI Shrek color that I wore recently, the color of mucus). My toes are lilac, but I want the turquoise glitter on them as well. I love orange, and Trinity, what are you waiting for? Give the girl some polish!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Trinity. Nail polish doesn't feel weird, but I cannot tolerate any sort of facial makeup. Makes me feel like my face is covered in papier mache' and that's when the stuff doesn't make me itch.

Joys of being Sensory Integration Disorder (SID)-ish, hunh?