I might have screwed up...

hersheyb79

So, I'm back. We're settled in our new home, and GRG is actually doing pretty well in school. I'm actually really surprised. I fought really hard to get him into the program he's in before school started, which was hard because CO and MI don't use the same IEP labels (for example, CO uses the designation SIED, where MI uses EI). Anyway, I got him into a level 4 program without having to have him go though the IEP evaluation 1st.

So my screw up. He did need the evaluation, he needed a new IEP. So I consented to have them do the entire evaluation, cognitive tests, Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) tests, PT/Occupational Therapist (OT)/Speech evaluations. Anyway, there was a bunch of tests they did. So, there was a discussion about if they should do the IQ tests or not, and I said "yes, he's so smart, why wouldn't we want a baseline."

Well, the IQ test came back really bad. His WISC IV full scale score was only 77 which the person told me was borderline MR. His processing score was only 62. They wrote into the IEP *interpret with caution* because they do not believe he is MR. His WAT-III test scores were more on par with his abilities, but as you can imagine with a deficit in processing speed, he did quite poorly in fluid reasoning areas.

Have I totally boned my son, now he has this test out there that basically makes him look MR and if we were to move again, how would this possibly help him. The professionals we're working with now seem unfazed by the scores, but I'm worried about the future.

So they left him as EI, he fit many of the criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), but he fit more criteria for EI. There was talk about him moving to a self contained program (not in a general ed building), but they decided to give him until after Christmas and see if he continues to do well.

InsaneCdn

The person doing the IQ test doesn't know how to score it.
If there is a significant spread between the best sub-test and the worst sub-test, the full-scale score cannot be assigned, because he's one of the (something like 1.5%) people who are outside the "norms" of the test.

The sub-tests are still valid. He has significant strengths - and significant weaknesses.

Hmmm... any way to get a second opinion on the results of the IQ test? (e.g. private ed psychiatric, or something)... we ended up with a second opinion by default - it was too soon to re-test, but not too soon to review prior tests, and... there were discrepencies in the professional opinion coming off the same data set. This kind of second opinion would be added to the file - basically throwing out the combined score and explaining why it is invalid.

InsaneCdn

Absolutely. You should be bringing copies of all prior reports with you, anyway. And yes, this would be a good person for a "second opinion" on that particular test. Either she will - or she will know who to send you to.

whatamess

You can also have him tested with a different IQ test (they have to wait something like 2 years between the same tests or it compromises the validity). Also, it is pretty well accepted that if you have a child on the autism spectrum, that full scale IQ scores are very misleading because of their splinter skills. I do not think the results of that test will harm your child- if you are informed about his skills and weaknesses, these scores can be an asset when looking for assistance for the skill deficits. Also, borderline IQ does not equate to MR, you have to have a score less than 70, have him score very low on a functional/daily living test, AND have very low scores on academic testing (all three would combine to give someone an educational label of Cognitive Disability/MR).

BusynMember

I have no idea what DBD-not otherwise specified is, but I do know that if he IS on the spectrum, the other poster is right. Their IQ scores don't usually show their ability. My son has scored 75 and 110 on IQ scores. Like most spectrum kids, my son has strengths and weaknesses academically, behaviorally, and socially. My son's two main diagnoses are Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and Cognitive Disorder not otherwise specified. He DOES have some cognitive difficulties...but that does not mean he is MR. Actually, a child does have to score lower than 70 to be seen as MR. "Cognitive disability" does not necessarily mean MR. Example: Alzheimers is seen as a cognitive disability. I have that diagnosis as well and I have a non-verbal learning disorder (verbal IQ of 120, performance IQ of 85, neither in the MR range). It has many meanings.

I think they do better testing privately. My son got his 110 score from a neuropsychologist. The neuropsychologist was really tuned into him. The school? Not so much. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as your son is progressing and has the right supports in place I wouldn't really focus on his IQ. Only time will tell if he can live independently or if he'll need a little bit of community support, which isn't the worst thing in the world.

Take it easy and keep us posted :)

JJJ

No, having an "off" IQ test in his file will not hurt him in the long run. IQ is now just one small piece of the puzzle. It does not have the huge weight that it used to hold.