I need a happy/chill pill

Ktllc

I am sooooooooooooo stressed from raising difficult child on top of my 2 easy child, work and regular house chores. Seriously, I don't think I can hear the comment "I know, it not easy to raise kids". I just want to scream "You have no idea!!! If you think it's hard, try to throw a mental disorder in the mix!!!"
Just like a little bit ago, I ended up cleaning the whole bathroom (once agin) because difficult child still does not get he has to lift the lid to pee and should get his pants really down. Then, of course he is totally lost 'cause I'm trying to transition him from wipies to toilet paper for #2!! Seriously kid: toilet paper does not bite! Why is it sooo hard??
I need something to help me cool down... maybe I'll just have to use a cool down spot, just like difficult child!
What do you guys do to relax?? (by the way, i have no one to watch the kids for me, night out is not an option).

InsaneCdn

The last question is easier to answer... we've been in the same boat for 14 years - no one to watch the kids for us...

My #1 stress-buster is: Put the kids to bed, and make sure they are asleep. Tuck the dogs into their kennels so they don't have to be watched either. Boil the kettle. Run the tub. Make a cuppa soothing something (peppermint tea? chai? whatever...). Add something nice to the tub. Take mug to tub and have a good soak. Whole ritual takes about 30 minutes... This is MY space, MY time for ME. I don't even allow myself to think about the kids, or the housework (although I will admit WORK sometimes creeps in...)

Other ideas we've used over the years... find a stress-buster that works for you AND the kids... like music? (we just about have our own band) baking? reading them a story? (can give you some hilarious older titles that work for a range of age groups, if you want and if you can find them...)

jennd23

Can you take a real happy/chill pill?

I've been thinking about this more and more....is there a pill that will just stop my blood from boiling at some of these things he does? I absolutely take time to myself to relax though, bath, movie after he's in bed, a night of NO chores (for myself), but when difficult child-mode kicks in, lord help me....

keista

In my younger days, I took Kava Kava. Worked like a charm! Unfortunately, once I got hooked, MY brand was discontinued, and I never found another brand that worked as well. So, I haven't used it since. (it even worked on PMS/PMDD irritability symptoms) It is an herb, and therefore not regulated, so if you want to give it a try please research it yourself first and be aware of the pros and cons.

If you do decide to try it, I would try it in a 'controlled' setting first - after kids are in bed and husband is around. You just never know if something new will have a strong or weak effect on you.

Ktllc

Herbs sound good to me. I use them for other purposes and they can have a strong effect. They keep my easy child from having his GERD go out of control and they got me into labor after beeing 2 weeks past due! I actually wonder about herbs and difficult child... should post in natural treatment I guess.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Kava Kava is nearly unavailable in the US. It turns out that research found it to be a major liver toxin. Pity as I also found it to be useful as a relaxant

InsaneCdn

Lets see... besides, of course, that old "fix-all"... (chocolate...!)

If you're into herbal and/or natural remedies...
Try some of these - either as herbal or as aromatherapy (some of these might only be aromatherapy - I don't use all of them...)
- peppermint - for all sorts of stuff!
- camomile (definitely anti-stress)
- lavender (anti-stress as aromatherapy)
- ginger (anti-stress-headache and/or anti-migrane and/or anti-nausea)

Wiped Out

Staff member
After difficult child is in bed I either read, chill in front of the television, or go on the computer. That is when I'm not ready to fall asleep the minute he is finally asleep!