I need prayers...husband lost his job today after 18 years!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh I am soooo sorry to hear that! My husband had been at his job 17 years when he got laid off and we were equally shocked. We thought he was secure and that he would retire from that company. Boy were we wrong!

Check with your state unemployment office -- you may be able to file TODAY online and not have to wait for him to get back home to do so. The sooner you apply, the sooner you can collect your benefits. Also, if he's not already connected, he should join Linked-In, a professional's networking site:

www.linkedin.com

He can stay in touch with former co-workers, find others in his industry, and hone his job search through it.

Hope the break from work is brief and that he's able to find something soon!

Mattsmom277

I am so sorry to hear your bad news :(. I too hope that he can find something quickly and that meanwhile you can get started on unemployment benefits right away. It is such a stress inducing life event to face job loss, I will be keeping fingers crossed for your husband! We've just 5 weeks ago seen my S/O return to work after his lay off 2 1/2 years ago. Wouldn't have been as long if he hadn't decided to go back to school but it was a major upset here for us too and its been a lot of sacrifice. There was such a release of tension for him to be hired again to a good job. I'll be wishing for the same for your husband, but in a speedy manner. Hang in there!!!

DDD

Sending supportive thoughts and hugs your way. Try to think positively because, chances are, he will be really down in the dumps. It is always harder on the men as it impacts their sense of self worth and value. Fingers crossed that a new opportunity comes quickly. DDD

Nancy

I am so very sorry. I know this sounds trite but when one door closes another opens. We will all send our positive energy so that he will find a job quickly.

Nancy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
(((hugs)))

Many here are in the same situation or similar. Your husband is certainly not alone. I'm so sorry though I know what a blow it can be. Have him sign up for unemployment asap. Will be saying prayers and keeping fingers crossed that he's able to find other work quickly.

bby31288

Thank you all. It is a sad situation really...His job site that took us to Louisiana has not been going well from day one. The Army Corp has basically blamed all of the problems on my husband.

The funny this is, just in December my husband and the company he worked for was given the North East Army Corp of the year Job site and he personally received an award for running it. It is amazing how things can change in less than a year.

He will go to the unemployment office today in Louisiana. But we are not sure, he can't file yet because they are paying him for the week. They are flying him back to New Jersey tomorrow. Do you think he will need to be in Louisiana to collect?

BusynMember

Sadly, this is happening a lot. I'm so sorry it happened to you.

My daughters's SO was laid off after six years. He thought he had it made and had accelerated quickly with many raises. He and another worker were "laid off" because they were no longer needed. They made the most and did the training and now the younger, cheaper-to-employ people could do the work without their instruction.

It's a jungle out there now. Be sure to do unemployment right away!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Do you think he will need to be in Louisiana to collect?

I don't know, but that certainly should be the first question for him to ask. And he should at least talk with them about signing up as well. I'm not sure if he has to wait that week due to being paid or not, I think he might be able to go ahead and sign up, they just won't pay him for the week that he'd receive the check is all. That way, the next weeks check is there without missing a beat.

If it significantly lowers your income, contact welfare and find out if you're eligible for food stamps, insurance, free day care, whatever......and USE it. It helps stretch what cash you actually do have.

bby31288

Just found out that Louisiana pays maximum of $247 a week for Unemployment. In New Jersey they pay about 600 and change. Oh well.....

Star*

call 911........call 911
bby,

For all the fear and feelings and emotions you are going through I understand and I am very sorry. Not sure that anything I could say would be of comfort to you; it took quite a while for the shock to wear off with us when DF became disabled,and then I lost my job. Doesn't help you - but like Hound said there are many here in the boat with you. Just tell yourself you will not accept an oar - you are bright, resourceful, strong, and will find a way to negotiate for a boat motor.

Paddle until you are savy pirate girl.......then negotiate for an outboard. YOU CAN DO THIS.

Prayers sent.

KTMom91

I'm so sorry. My Hubby was recently hired back after a 14 month layoff. Hope he's able to find something quickly.