I need suggestions

tiredmommy

We have been waiting for a closing date on our new home for weeks now, the whole situation has been incredibly stressful as I could have been moved by now if we had not hit a series of problems on the seller's part. Now, I'm half packed and heading into the thick of the holidays. And I love my Christmas traditions... really love them. And I can't do a lot of them. No real tree (can't move it to the new house... way too much trouble), few Christmas cards (not a lot of time and address will be changing soon), only a few decorations (our basement family room is full of boxes and most of the decorations are buried). And finally... cookies. :crying: Most of my baking stuff is packed AND my kitchen furniture is in the garage waiting for the move. I know it's petty, but I'm finding this all very upsetting for me. Especially the cookies. My extended family looks forward to me bringing homemade cookies to our various celebrations.

My beloved neighbor has stepped in and will make cookies for me (she "really" bakes, if you know what I mean). I'm talking two trays of 200+ cookies each. And she, who was recently called back to work after a long lay off, is refusing to allow me to pay her for them. And anyone that bakes knows that baking supplies are not cheap! So... I'm going to get her a bottle of wine and a gift certificate. Any thoughts on the type of establishment? Grocery store, discount big box, movies, restaurant? Each tray would easily retail for $40, so I'd like to get a nice bottle of wine and a $75 gift card. Any thoughts?

InsaneCdn

Well... I'm one of "those" kind... the type who loves to bake, and used to do (and hope to do in the future) this kind of stuff... and, well, if it were for ME? I'd say... a gift certificate to a really good specialty kitchen shoppe. There's dozens of gadgets I'd love to get - but can't afford. It would be stuff for ME, but it's for everybody else too (including the gift-card giver, because I'd have to "try out" my new tools...)

tiredmommy

IC~ One of the plusses of the new house is that I get a much better kitchen. I estimate it is at least 4x the size of my current kitchen (it's one third of the house's total square footage). My neighbor and I decided tonight that we would do a baking weekend next year involving lots of wine and ordering in food. We'll make her mom (whom I adore) and Duckie (whom she adores) help when we're tipsy!

Malika

Actually.... this may seem strange... but I would not seek to compensate her for the cost of her baking. She wants to do it for you as a gift, does not want payment - I would accept her gracious offer and allow her to give. I know that is hard to do sometimes. I would instead buy her a really nice bottle of wine. I think otherwise it just looks like you are trying to pay her in another guise and although it is of course purely well-meant on your part, it is a little as though you are dismissing what she said about not wanting to be paid.
Just my take :)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I hope they get your move to the new house settled asap. It's stressful enough without anything going wrong.

How sweet of your neighbor. If she loves to bake anyway, you just provided her with good reason to do so. (which sometimes can be hard to find)

InsaneCdn

With that plan for next year? I'd say you're already "paying her back". But... I'd probably be feeling a bit like you, wanting to do "something"... maybe a smaller gift certificate (plus the wine if you choose)

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
How sweet! I think your bake date next year and a bottle of wine this year is great. What a nice neighbor!

LittleDudesMom

I actually agree with Malika. Your gracious neighbor has offered to do this for you without compensation, so I would suggest being just as gracious and accepting this as what it is, a gift. That does not mean you can't get her a nice bottle of wine or a beautiful large poinsettia as a token of appreciation. But I think a gift card says "payment".

Fingers crossed things move forward quickly on the new home!

Sharon

StressedM0mma

I would stick with the bottle of wine, and maybe a pretty holiday themed flower arrangement. She wants to do this for you, and I know how hard it can be for us to kind of "let others in". And, maybe this is also her way of being able to say goodbye since you will be moving soon.

busywend

I would do the wine and then have them over for dinner at the house when you are settled. A nice filet mignon or lobster tail dinner would be a huge thank you and comes along with time together.

busywend

And about the closing.....UGH! So very frustrating for you. I hope they come back with a date soon. The not knowing is awful.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I agree that a nice bottle of wine and a heartfelt thank you note is enough. However, if you do include a GC, one to either Sur la Table or Williams Sonoma would be perfect for someone who enjoys her time baking or cooking!

What a nice neighbor!

Fran

Former desparate mom
TM, I didn't realize you were moving. Closings are a stressful time. I know you are going crazy trying to keep something normal going in the midst of chaos. I like the idea of a thank you note with a promise of dinner once you are settled. People who are givers get uncomfortable with the notion that someone thinks they have to match their gift to the one that was given in an open heart. Acknowledgement that you appreciate it is the right thing to do.