I never ever get a straight answer - Update

DammitJanet

I think they do Nancy. There was one time when my debit card got lost and this was after I had shredded all my checks due to the Cory debacle so I had to give my SSN to my credit union to withdraw funds from the bank. To this day I dont have any checks...lol. I only use my debit card. Now no one has ever put extra funds in my account, but I can see how in a large bank this could happen. Thankfully your dtr called you.

This did just happen to me with my water bill though. They overcharged me by at least triple what I could have possibly used but they wont admit it. I know without a doubt they read my neighbors meter and charged me for it. He put in an underground swimming pool. My normal water bill is between 12 - 15 dollars. I got a bill for 60 bucks. I had my water bill on auto draft and never noticed the amount before it came out and it caused me to overdraw my account. I cant prove what they did though...especially here. Though oddly, all my bills since have been the minimum 12 bucks!

Nancy

She came over tonight and showed me the receipt. It certainly does look like the bank gave her a new ATM and attached it to someone else's account. She said when she went in she gave them her driver's license and they must have just looked up her name. Her ss# is not on her license. She said the bank clerk was IMing while she was doing this so she wasn't paying attention. There doesn;t seem to be anything fishy about it other than the fact that the bank made a horrible error. She could have wiped out that account. I told her I was glad she called to question it. Oh and I checked, it's just an ATM card, not a debit card.

She's going back to the bank tomorrow to straighten it out.

Funny how we always assume the worst until they prove us wrong.

Nancy

A

AmericanGirl

Nancy,

I am glad difficult child was telling the truth.

I learned a lot from this thread. My difficult child has a checking account with less than $1 in it. I am on the account because he is, even at 18, still a minor. Makes me want to close it to stop any liability on my part.

I have difficult children atm card. But he can go show id...hmmmm.

Guess i am hoping he might need an account soon cause he might get a job. I know..i am dreaming. Then again, after court Tuesday, he will be on probation cause he cannot pay his fines...they will expect him to get a job.

Loved how your daughter put it....can't you help her out....mine uses that same wording. <shaking head sadly>

DammitJanet

Nancy your daughter is to be applauded greatly. I dont know if I would have been that mature at her age to be honest. I would have probably felt that something good had happened to me like I got a IRS check deposited that I forgot about or some other strange thing, shrugged my head, and gone about spending the money. The only reason Cory knows not to have checks is because I have basically drilled it into his head that if he writes even one bad check he will go to prison. Not exactly true but I have him scared. He wont even allow Mandy to have checks on her checking account. The debit account works perfectly fine. I dont want them to write checks for more than they have and I have no doubt they would.

susiestar

Roll With It
What AWESOME news!!!! It is natural to be suspicious, Nancy. In part because the long history of lies, in part because this is not a typical error. I do hope she tells the bank mgr that she talks to that the clerk was IMing when she was working. Friends at the bank I used to work at say that this is a HUGE no-no because errors can cause such HUGE problems.

To be totally, 100% honest here, my husband would probably have decided we got a windfall from taxes or something and spent part of the $$ wanting to go out or buy some toy or gadget. We still struggle with this and he is over 50. Drives me BATTY.

I am sure you have let her know how proud you are that she did NOT take advantage of this! This is a lot more than a baby step toward showing she is maturing, in my opinion!!!!!!! She not only discovered "free money" and didn't blow it on partying or use it as an excuse to party, she checked with you to see if something happened she didn't know about and she is going to go take care of the problem the right way. This is wonderful!!!

T

toughlovin

I am thrilled with this news!!!! It is always wonderful when our worries turn out to be for naught... and just our own worries. I am impressed that she didn't just go spend the money because we all know that would have caught up with her. She is doing great. Gives me hope.....

TL

buddy

Happy for you and happy that difficult child is still moving forward in her maturation and growth. SMILE!

S

Signorina

Nancy -I feel like your daughter is walking further and further away from the (bad) fork in the road. Such wonderful news

Nancy

Sig I hope and pray she is. When I saw her yesterday and we went to the AA meeting I was encouraged that she seems to be very level headed. She has a sponsor now and is working the steps. She stopped seeing this one guy because she said she wanted something more substantial than he was willing to give. That is huge because she is like your son with relationships, she will hang on and hang on even after it is clear that it is over. I think that's progress but I don't want her rushing into a relationship with someone else and right now she is interested in another guy in the program who I'm not sure I like from his fb. She reminds me they are all addicts and so they all have things in their past. I am very good now at not lecturing and just asking questions.

She did ask me to take her to the grocery store to get some ingredients to make some dinners and she pulled out several printed recipes from her purse that she was making, lemon chicken, chicken fahitas and something else.

I reminded her that it was almost a year ago when she moved out and in with the pothead and her decline really escalated and said I would be happy when the next anniversary would be when she entered the sober house and was really serious about getting sober. We taked about a friend of hers that had her one year last month and then relapsed on adderall and how she had to start over now and how several of the girls in the first sober house said they missed my cookie care packages so I am going to bake some cookies and send them over.

It became very clear to me tonight that these people stay sober with the help of other addicts. Before the meeting a young man came in and was talking to one of the directors of a men's sober house. He had just gotten out of jail the other day after three years and he said he is sober and doesn't even smoke cigarettes and worked out every day and feels great. The director asked where he was living and he said he needed a place and he told him to call him this morning and he would get him into a sober house. The young man was so grateful and said he needed that support. While he is just starting his recovery he looks like a young man who can really achieve it with help and support and that's what this program does. It made me so grateful that there are people out there who really do want to help.

Nancy

Last edited:

susiestar

Roll With It
She is making such great progress, Nancy! She really seems to be in a good place. I hope and pray that she is finally ready for the pressure of an anniversary to not be too much to handle sober, and it sounds like she is.

Isn't it ironic that it is other addicts who get you into drug abuse and addiction and generally it is mainly other addicts who can also help you get out of abusing and into recovery? Ironic and wonderful all at the same time!

Nancy

susie I hadn't thought about it that way but it is very ironic.

difficult child went to the bank on her lunch hour and asked for the branch manager. It turns out the branch maanager is the one who gave her the ATM card. The manager was shocked and said "OMG I don't know how that happened" and then thanked difficult child for being honest. So she gave her a new ATM card and tied it to difficult child's correct checking account and debitted the $20 that she withdrew Friday.

Nancy

Kathy813

Staff member
Wow. I hope that your difficult child is very proud of herself. Not many people, not to mention difficult children, would have been that honest.

~Kathy

Nancy

LOL Kathy, well I honestly think she thought we put that in her account and was calling to thank us.

Nancy

S

Signorina

Just happy - it all worked out and she was honest & followed thru. Maybe she will change the board juju ...

Ephchap

Wow, Nancy, just read through from the first post - where who could blame you for being suspicious - to the last, where it was obviously the bank's error. Yes, after years of our difficult child's behavior, we automatically go into "suspect mode". It will take years and years to gain back our trust, and I'm honestly not sure the trust will ever be there 100 percent. Once that trust is broken and they have lied, stolen, etc., our antenae go up when something seems amiss. I'm so thrilled to hear she's still doing so well. You're absolutely right in that they depend on a support system for their sobriety. It's crucial for them day to day.

Deb

susiestar

Roll With It
I hope she is proud of her honesty. I am! She must think y'all are really generous to think you would just put $5000 in there for no reason!!! You can be that generous to me anytime, lol!!! (joking, of course)

Did she tell the branch mgr that she (mgr) was texting as she did the card and maybe that caused the problem? I am glad the mgr thanked her - cause if she wanted to be stinky about it, difficult child could have insisted that they NOT take the $20 out of her acct but pay it themselves. Chances are the mgr would have done it rather than risk difficult child telling mgr's boss about the cell phone use while setting up the card and this mistake being the result. Around here they get fired for being caught IMing or texting or using their cell phones while helping customers. It is a HUGE no-no because it creates this type of mistake.

So difficult child has more than just alerting them of the mistake to be proud about. She did NOT use this to get $$ out of the bank. I know people who would have insisted on some$$ from the mgr to stay quiet about the phone use and difficult child did not manipulate them and had them take the $20 out of her acct when she could have doen otherwise. this is just AWESOME progress and honesty, in my opinion.

Nancy

Susie I must have been confusing. The person she went to yesterday who was the branch manager wad the same person who made the mistake so no-one will ever know.

difficult child did say to me that the bank should have to pay the $20 but we reminded her that she really did withdraw it. She was ok with that. I keep trying to teach by example because for some reason she was not born with that moral compass.

But yes I am very proud if her.

Nancy