I really love how my difficult child thinks, lol!

tiredmommy

So difficult child is part of her school's Science Club. Their advisor is a really energetic, positive and upbeat teacher And Duckie loves attending. Their next meeting will involve.... dissecting a squid.

Duckie is adamant that she wishes not to attend this meeting because not only is she squeamish but she is also morally opposed. She told me she sees no good reason for a squid to give its life when she isn't planning on working as a vet or in medicine. I explained that I wouldn't force her to attend the meeting but I told that she would probably need to do it sometime for a class grade. She then said that a required class is different than an extracurricular activity.

Sometimes she's far wiser than her 11 years. :rofl:

tiredmommy

She's so funny, too, because she was telling me that it is wrong for someone like her that doesn't need that knowledge but she could understand someone who is studying to be a doctor. And that she hopes by the time she takes biology her class will be doing online dissection simulations instead of hands on.

T

TeDo

WOW TM!!! That is amazing and sooooo insightful. I hope you told her that......and.....I hope it's not the last time you hear her say things like that. LOL

DammitJanet

Thats so funny. In the same vein, I was watching one of the super nanny shows tonight and the oldest boy was acting just horrible...cussing his father out and being a horrible PITA. This was at a restaurant. The mom just coddled the boy and kissed him over and over again. He is 8. At the end of the meal the mom got him a big sundae and the dad leaned over and said you know this isnt a reward for what you did outside and the boy said yeah I know but why am I getting it? The dad said I dont know. The boy asked his mom and she told him because she loved him...lmao. The boy said but I was bad to dad and I shouldnt get a reward. LMAO.

susiestar

Roll With It
Wise beyond her years.

Don't most schools do the online dissection now? The virtual frog dissection was pretty cool, but I liked that type of science. Mostly because teachers who would do that also did other experiments. About the ONLY time I ever saw my dad get close to throwing up was when I described something we were dissecting in science class. And he was a science teacher at the time, roflmao.

WHY are they dissecting the squid? Is there a purpose, or just to do it? That would matter to me.

tiredmommy

They're touching on many modules of science throughout the year and roughly following the curriculum. They're learning about body systems and how a body is structured over the next few weeks, so the dissection is in support of that.

TerryJ2

Interesting.
Still, people around the world eat squid as sushi, and in soup. Squid give up their lives every day for us. And for bigger fish. Just a thought ... :)

tiredmommy

I asked her about that, lol (she loves seafood). She said it is different if an animal is used for eating because it isn't wasted but it is when a they're used for a bunch of 5th graders for dissection if the kids won't be using that knowledge later.

TerryJ2

Hmm. I beg to differ. Good thing you're the mom. I'd still be locked in heavy debate with-Duckie, lol!
:twister2:Dissection isn't only to teach you the guts of that particular animal; it is to teach you the process.
Oh well. I'm off to eat squid ...
(Just kidding. I actually hate it.)