I saw the endocrinologist today.

susiestar

Roll With It
I got myself out and went alone to see the doctor. It is 1 1/2 hours each way and I had a great book tape, so I enjoyed the drive.

The doctor spent about 10 mins with me. Introduced yet another grad student shadowing him and did a short exam. He was shocked at the vit D shots I took. He intended them to be 1 dose spread over 3 months, just in case I had a reaction. They gave me 1 dose per month for 3 months. So I got 3 times the amt of vit D. Not sure if it will help or hurt.

He DID say it could likely have contributed or even caused the seizure or whatever it was that put me in the ICU and robbed me of 2 days. I still have no memory of those days.

He says I have osteomalacia, or softening of the bones. We won't know if we are on the road to curing it until he sees the results of blood tests, so it will be 2 weeks or so. This osteomalacia is the reason all my bones hurt, and the muscles too. Lots of what I had attributed to fibro is problem this osteo thing.

I did finally get a calcium supplement with-o vit D (I am the one who vomits from vit D) and am taking it 2x/day. Depending on bloodwork the doctor may up that to 3 or 4 times a day. We will see.

I haven't absorbed all the info. I did some research on this, will do more tomorrow. But today I want to put my booktape on and cross stitch. ( a treat to myself I went to a stitching store that is not my usual and got a CD where they put a set of 40 patterns that make up a town. The designers have the patterns for free, but you have to search them out. The store sold the CD for $5, enough to cover their time and the CD. Profits will go to the local Ronald McDonald House - it wasn't an item to sell, just to cover costs, so extra $ gets donated. Anyway, I am excited about that.

husband found a Barnes and Noble giftcard that he didn't know if it had $ on it or not. He told me if it had anything that I was to spend it all if I felt well enough to go to the bookstore. I got a novel for me, a book on CD for husband's birthday in 2 weeks, AND a clearance book about Wizards written on a younger kid level (has crafts and stories, very cute).

Then I went down to see Ulta's clearance. I was kind of sad at first. Jessie was clear that she did NOT want makeup for Christmas. I looked at the big sets on sale, and then left. I called home and asked if we needed groceries. Just peanut butter. And I mentioned a BIG makeup kit to jessie and she got super excited. I said it was $10 and since I owed her $10, did she want me to buy it as her repayment. She said yes and was giggling like a little girl.

I went back and got it. It is HUGE - over 50 eyeshadows, bunch of bluxh and lipgloss, fairly nice brushes, etc... It was neat to see her face when she opened it.

So thank you got the Wizard book, Jess got makeup, and I got a book to take my mind off this other thing.

Please pray that my body can heal this osteomalacia. And that I won't end up in agony for 2 or 3 days as payment for this trip today. I usually do pay that way.

Gentle hugs to everyone,

Susie

Lothlorien

I'm certainly glad you got some answers about the seizure. The lack of vitamin D and calcium is definitely cause for the osteomalacia and the pain you are experiencing. I hope that the shots have given some help with that.

It's good to have a day to yourself, heh?

everywoman

Glad you had a good day out. I'm glad you found the makeup for Jess. Nothing makes you feel more girly-girl than a little eyeshadow and lip gloss!!! Make sure you soak in a warm bath tonight. Maybe that will help with the muscle aches. Do you do massages. My insurance company pays all but a $10 copay with a doctors. prescription. I go every week. It is the one thing that keeps me going. It has made such a difference in my aches and pains---I have degenerative disc disease in my neck and spine and osteoarthritis in my knees. Check your insurance. I would highly recommend a weekly massage.

M

ML

I'm interested in the results of your tests. My friend is convinced that Vit D deficiency has a possible link with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and there is an actual link on the Vit D council website. Anyway, I've been hearing all this stuff about Vit D lately so I'm praying that these shots you took will really make a difference. Let us know. Love, ML

Jena

i got easy child the exact same kit from ulta it is totally cool. i want one also :)

i'm glad you got some answers about you, and yes sometimes it takes a few days for all the info to set in. i'm glad you got to go to the book store and get some cool stuff :)

F

flutterbee

I'm so happy that you had a good day and that you FINALLY seem to have answers and a direction to take.

Sending healing vibes that you won't suffer for this outing today.

TerryJ2

You got some great information.

And you had a great day! LOVE the eyeshadow collection/makeup kit. :)

I know what you mean about overdoing it and having to pay for it tomorrow. I've got my fingers crossed. Maybe because you took your time, listened to a book on tape, and relaxed once you were home, it will help.

Take care.

I'm praying for speedy healing! I know that when my mom's doctor put her on VitD, it made her stomach hurt. Hope you are on the mend soon. Hugs.