I spoke to another Mom at

tiredmommy

cheer last night. Her daughter is a few years older than Duckie. She is a minor difficult child as well. We had a nice talk and compared notes on our kids, what worked and what didn't. It was great to be able to connect with someone else in the real world that gets it. Know what I mean??
I don't think I would have had the courage to discuss Duckie's struggles with an acquaintance before joining this forum. :its_all_good:

Lothlorien

yes I do. I have one friend who really just gets it. Her difficult child is 16, now and she's still struggling. I admire her for staying strong. We compare notes a lot. It's very therapeutic talking to her.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Good for you for being open about your concerns. It's amazing to me just how many people share when I open up. The guy who shampooed the rugs has a son on the autistic spectrum. The man who drove the moving van has a daughter in school who is struggling with learning disabilities. Everyone has something their family must deal with. Putting yourself out there allows others to let down their guard.

I only go into detail with very few and you guys but really, I seldom meet anyone who doesn't have a story to share about their child's struggle.

I'm glad you connected TM. You may have helped that mom and she may have helped you in ways that aren't even obvious yet.

busywend

Good for you both! It is nice to see that you are not alone. You know you are not because you come here, but to see it is good, too.
I knew all too well just how many difficult children are out there from coaching cheerleading. I think a lot of moms want their 'active' kids to be in the sport! LOL!

One word of caution - I would not share the site just yet. Perhaps you can share some other resources if she asks.

TM,

I'm so glad you found someone who you can talk to about difficult child issues. I'm usually a very private person and am amazed at how much of myself I've shared here. You're right - it is wonderful when we can find people in the real world to connect to who understand what it is like to live life with difficult children. I hope you are able to develop a lasting friendship with this person. WFEN

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
TM, that's awesome that you were able to connect with this woman. When my difficult child was younger I found I shared more, desperate to know that I wasn't the only mother in the world with a kid like her (awful to say, I know). However, as she's grown older, I have found that I will only discuss her with certain people, especially between the ages of 15 and now; usually one of my sister's and my two best friends. One of my friend's has three of her very own wickedly difficult difficult child's so she understands when I call crying, making difficult decisions on behalf of my difficult child.

Good for you -

G

guest3

it's always nice to find someone who understands, it's the "perfect moms" out there, that nauseate me, sigh.... difficult child II called a nasty little girl a "biotch" and she calls me enraged threatening to call the police, sigh............... I apologize profusly but to no avail nothing makes her understand, and she is blind to the fact that her daughter instigated difficult child II in 1st place, sigh..... but her daugfher is perfect and my kid is "messed up"

Wiped Out

Staff member
Good for you for making that connection! It is really nice. I have a friend at work who has a son (older than mine)that is also a difficult child. We also both have daughters around the same age who are very similar. When we talk we both know the other "gets" it.