I think all my hard work is finally paying off

Californiablonde

Or should I say I am actually receiving some recognition for all the hard work I do at my job? I just received employee of the quarter this morning. I have been at my job for almost nine years, and in that time I have seen the same darned people getting that award over and over again. I have never gotten it once. I was starting to feel a little bitter and under appreciated. Well today I finally got the award! I know it may sound silly to be excited over an award that every single person in my office has gotten multiple times, but it really does mean a lot to me. Finally I got some recognition for all the countless hours I have put in trying to get these kids to school and keep them there.

I wasn't at work when they made the announcement this morning that I received the award. I was at court making a payment on a traffic ticket. Normally they call out the name and the person has to go up in front of a room of people while they all applaud. I am so grateful I happened not to be here for that part! I am incredibly shy and feel totally scrutinized when I'm in front of a bunch of people. When I got to work after my court appointment I had a bunch of colleagues rushing up to me to congratulate me. When I found out why, I was thrilled.

On the actual award four different staff members wrote some pretty nice things about me. They complimented me on working hard and keeping my cool under pressure. (Me, with my anxiety, keeping cool? Can you imagine!) Little do they know I appear calm on the outside but on the inside I'm anxious as hell! Anyways, two of the ladies mentioned how impressed they were with the amount of Spanish I've learned since I started working here. I only knew about three words of Spanish at first, and now I'm speaking full conversations. I'm far from fluent, but I know enough now to understand and help. I am so happy I am finally being recognized at a job I was feeling burnt out from and darned near unappreciated from. I don't normally brag but this is a rare proud moment for me!

donna723

A little recognition and appreciation shown for all your hard work goes a long way and makes a world of difference in how you feel about your job. Congratulations on your well deserved award!

Californiablonde

Thank you all for your congrats. Just knowing that some of my coworkers have confidence in my abilities really makes me feel more confident. If they believe I do a good job, then I must be doing something right. It makes me feel good.