I think I passed down my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) to difficult child 2.

Californiablonde

As if this kid doesn't have enough on his plate with the ADHD and autism, now I think he may be getting Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). difficult child 2 has always been an avid hand washer. Lately, though, I think it is getting out of hand. I am not even kidding when I say that difficult child is washing his hands like 50 times a day. I'm glad he's in to having clean hands, but I think it's a bit much. Even difficult child 1 notices and calls him a germ a phobe. The other day, my mom pointed out that difficult child 2's hands and arms were all red. When she questioned him about it, he said it was from scrubbing his hands raw in order to remove some unforseen substance. When my mom watched him on Wednesday night he was constantly in the bathroom washing his hands.

On one occasion, my mom was attempting to put soap on his hands. difficult child insisted that the cap of the soap dispenser NOT touch his hand. This is a big red flag for me. I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) myself, and I am prone to avoiding touching certain objects too. I am also obsessed with numbers. I will touch an object a certain number of times for "luck." I have an adversion to the number six. If I am leaving the house and I look at the clock and I see that it is 6:56, I will intentionally stay and watch the clock until the clock strikes 7:00. I absolutely cannot leave the house if the last number I see is a six. Total bad luck. I just know my day will be ruined if the last number I see is a six. Living with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is hell. It is a total anxiety driven disorder and it's really hard to live with. Unfortunately my Zoloft, which was working like a charm for years, suddenly stopped working.

I have been trying for several years to get something that helps as good as Zoloft did, but I've had no success. I hate the fact that difficult child 2 is going through the same thing that I am. I know that his obsessive hand washing is competely anxiety ridden and I feel bad for him. I know it doesn't make sense for me to feel this way, but I also feel a little guilty. Obviously, he got this from me. I hate the thought that I passed it down to him, but I also know it's not my fault and there's nothing I can do about it. It is what it is. Now on to the next step. Talking with psychiatrist at his next appointment. I would really hate to see him be put on yet another medication but for now I just gotta wait and see what psychiatrist feels is best. Poor kid.

T

TeDo

CB, it sounds like his autism just expanded in that area. That is his current obsession. It may or may not last. I wouldn't get too worried about it just yet. Keep the lotion handy to prevent chapping and dryness.....if he tolerates it.

Californiablonde

So hand washing can be a part of the autism? I never really thought of that. I just assumed it was budding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). The autism diaganosis is still so new so I am learning.

T

TeDo

Kids with autism can sometimes have obsessions that mimic Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). In a way, variations of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) are part of the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis. It sounds like his obsession could be about the fear of germs or could be the sensory input from the water and soap. An Occupational Therapist (OT) could maybe help you figure out if it's the sensory part and give ideas on replacements for the feeling. Know what I mean??

Californiablonde

I'm pretty sure he's obsessed with germs. He refuses to dry his hands off on a towel that has been previously used. If it hasn't come straight out of the dryer, he won't use it, so he lets his hands drip dry. He also uses way too much soap. I just bought some new soap a few days ago and we're already out. He can never seem to get his hands clean enough. Hopefully it's just a phase. Right now he has a rash on one of his hands from washing so much.