I think I'm losing Molly

DammitJanet

Oh lisa Im so sorry. I agree with trying to tell her its okay to go.

I have one other suggestion though. Try calling your animal control and telling them you cant reach your vet and have a dog that is suffering greatly and needs to be put down. They normally have the shots to put them down. You might get a ACO with a heart who would come to your home to help.

Tiapet

Old Hand
I'm so sorry to hear this. The pain in your post comes through clearly. Molly sounds like she is struggling as well and may just be trying to hang on for what ever reason. Perhaps trying to talk to her, assuring her it's ok to let go will work just as we might do as humans will allow her the piece of mind to let go. I bet anything she understands what you say clearly. I know you know this. I don't see an update.

Others have suggested calling your vet off hours. It may work but I'm not sure as I don't know your vet. Some just say take to another emergency one but I know you want to have your vet. I bet at this point anything works. I am concerned though for you if she does pass before you reach anyone how you will be until you can get someone?

I'm giving you gentle {{{{{hugs|||| for now. I hope it works out 1 way or another for you with Molly. I hope her pain ceases and she has those moments she needs in the end to be in peace. You as well. She has lived a full life and you have given her much.

DammitJanet

I tell you most of my dogs who have died natural deaths have just passed away in their sleep, however most of them try to do it away from us. They dont want us to see them go. Even Jamie's cat let him hold him that morning before school and then he passed away in my bathroom while Jamie was at school that day. Heidi and Lady both went outside and just never came home. Tony found them later. They made their last resting spots. They are still there today.

I hope you are doing okay right now. I firmly believe that all our pets are waiting for us. I am going to have a boatload of them. I have no idea how I am gonna have enough hands to pet them all! Wonder if amazon delivers to heaven...lol.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Molly's condition continues to deteriorate.

I had the kids over to visit, we did a get together (sort of) for Evan and Katie's bdays. The kids all asked if I wanted to cancel and I said no. I wanted each of them to have a chance to say goodbye to Molly. And I thought perhaps Molly needed/wanted to say goodbye to them too. She's been such an active participant in this family for 12, nearly 13 yrs that it only seemed right.

I kept her gated in the living room so that no one could overwhelm her. Those that wanted to say good bye each went in alone and had their private moments with her, including the grandchildren. We've all told her it is ok to go, that mother in law and Fred are definitely waiting for her. She's raised Maggie up well to stand watch over me and Travis.

Molly can barely move. She has taken teeny amounts of water a couple of times. Her bladder let loose on one of the loveseats. But I don't mind. I can remove the covers and toss them in the washer then shampoo the rest. Shoot, I'd toss the loveseat if soiling it meant Molly's comfort right now. But now she tried to go hide behind Fred's recliner but didn't have the strength to make it, so she is lying next to it. Food/water near just in case. I was able after one of the times getting her to take a bit of water to get some benedryl down her, although it wasn't easy. Sadly it appears to have done nothing, not even help her sleep. :(

Can't reach the dog warden on weekends around here either. We have one, and they too need their time off.

I'll be contacting the vet first thing to see how fast we can get her in. I can't say how I'll be once she's crossed over. Right now I just know it's time.

DammitJanet

Good heavens I am hurting for you. Im also irritated at the dog warden set up. Time off my ass. You know I talk about Jamie's unit a lot and it must seem as if they are super hero's but they are a very small unit. He is only one of 6 for his whole county! They dont get time off. Their county is covered 24/7/365. At least 3 people are on duty during the day and two at night at all times. During disasters everyone is on duty.

buddy

I'm glad your family was over. I pray Molly can just fall asleep peacefully. I'm hoping the same for buddy as the time is drawing nearer....it's very hard.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet, we have ONE dog warden. That is all we have, period. I can understand her needing time off. At least this new one cares with all that she is, unlike the last one who cared only about not answering the phone and getting rip roaring drunk. It's because of her that our kill shelter's death rate has dropped off dramatically. She and the volunteers will move heaven and earth to keep from putting a dog down if they can. But she's only one person.

What ticks me off royally is the vets in town, and we have several now, can't take turns rotating ER calls for weekends. Expecting people to travel and hour or more with their pets for emergency treatment after hours is ridiculous. Back when we only had one....ok, I understood. Now there are 3, they can take turns.....won't kill them to do so.

Molly isn't struggling so hard to breathe right now. She's barely breathing.......and easy child timed it and she's at 50-60 respiration's per min. She IS resting, such as it is, though. The scared expression is gone. She's just waiting for the end to come.

I even let Maggie have a few minutes with her this afternoon before the kids came over. She nuzzled Molly and kissed her and fretted over her.

Molly's breathing is so very shallow now I don't know that she'll make it until morning, but then she surprised me this morning.......so I might as well plan on it.

Molly will be cremated by the same funeral director who took care of Fred. We'll bring her cremains home and find a nice spot in the yard just for her. I think I might bury her beloved herding ball with her. Nichole spoke about having a marker made for her. Nothing elaborate but something special.

I'm so glad Nichole got to say goodbye especially. Maybe that is what Molly was waiting for. The two of them were inseparable for many many years.

At the moment I'm resigned to the fact it is time. I'm ok right now, I knew it was coming. After, like I said, I dunno. It feels as if the very ones I relied upon for strength and security are being taken from me in a very short amount of time. mother in law my adopted mother, Fred my soul mate and best friend, and now Molly my protector.

DammitJanet

I think that is a lovely thing to do for Molly Lisa. You can make a very nice plaque for her yourself and it might be more special if you do it with all of you doing it. You can put in little keepsakes that you can get at a place like Michaels such as miniature bones, balls, rocks, etc and put her name, birthday and all your names on it. I think you get the idea of what Im describing.

Lisa,

I'm getting here very late but want you to know how sorry I am. I know you love Molly with all your heart and I know this is breaking your heart. Just reading this thread has me in tears... I'm praying that if Molly is still with you, she is resting comfortably, comforted by all the love surrounding her and knowing that it is OK to let go... That you get a vet appointment first thing this morning... If Molly passed away last night, I hope she went peacefully in her sleep, ready, having had a wonderful life with you...

I like Janet's idea of making a plaque for Molly. Another thing you can do is to put together a collage of pictures, frame it, hang it in a special place in your home. I saw a really nice frame someone had made that included her fur baby's tags and collar too. When the time comes for my favorite sanity saver to cross over the Rainbow Bridge, I know I'm going to use this idea and frame her tags and collar too. I know I couldn't ever get rid of them.

Sending you strength, hugs and much love... SFR

DammitJanet

SFR, I had the hardest time with the collars when my neighbor killed my dogs. The vet handed them back to me and it was just awful. Cory had to bring one of them home with him in a bag to bury in the yard and I about lost it.