I Think It's Lawyer Time...But I Don't Know What I Want...?

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by DaisyFace, Oct 17, 2011.

  1. DaisyFace

    DaisyFace Love me...Love me not

    After this weekend's adventures....I do think it's time to bring in a lawyer.

    But - I have NO idea what I want the outcome to be. I have lost faith in the system completely (not that I had all that much to begin with). So what do I want? An apology? Services? Money? A change in the way the system functions? I really don't know....

    I also don't know how this will "play" in this very conservative area. Usually, the less the government spends helping people, the better. Anyone on Medicaid or looking for govt services is lazy, poor and just plain 'un-American'. Want help? Get a job, earn the money and fund it yourself!

  2. keista

    keista New Member

    I think services until she's 25 would be nice.
  3. AnnieO

    AnnieO Shooting from the Hip

    PRIVATELY PROVIDED services until she is 25 and monetary recompense for damages due to the failure of the system to provide requested assistance from age (whenever you started asking) to "the present"; I'd ask for $50K/year. You won't get it. But you have to start somewhere - and if you don't get private services, maybe you will get enough to fund a year or so of therapy for you, husband and DS.
  4. InsaneCdn

    InsaneCdn Well-Known Member

    The desired outcome is fully-funded appropriate help (like the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) you've been fighting for, and whatever else) for as long as it takes... including help for the rest of the family due to the on-going stress of the situation.

    Whatever, wherever, however they get that for you...

    Fixing the system might be a long-term outcome to this, but YOUR battle is to get help for YOUR daughter.
  5. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

    I think you want funding for your daughter for as long as she needs to get well. You guys need some ptsd counseling too. But really, I think you would to focus on her for as long as they can keep her in a placement, at least until she is 21 or 22.
  6. buddy

    buddy New Member

    I posted this in the wrong spot (your last thread, sorry....)

    After I read this earlier I had to go and while I was gone I remembered our MN ombudsman office so I looked up SC and here is the office...Of course I suspect you have already done this since you have been thru this so long but in case you didn't:

    Click on this LINK:South Carolina State Office of Children's Affairs
    sorry for the double post, wasn't sure if you had moved on, smile! If you have been there done that, just ignore, I wish I had a magic little lawyer in my pocket
  7. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    I want to PM you some specifics about my talk with an attny but am trying to regroup from work right now and need to deal with some things around here this evening- so, if I forget- feel free to PM me and remind me. But in short, you can call around and get a low-cost consultation which is usually either free or $50 for an hour or something like that. Have your questions formed well because you might not need more time with an attny after that for a while. I have found that it's best to do a google search or search on your state court/governemnt/bar websites for an attny who's licensed as a GAL (if you have GALs for juveniles that are attnys in your state), or at least make SURE you are getting an attny who frequqently works in juvenile court cases- not domestic, family issues (like custody and divorce). They will know processes, people, etc, and save everyone a lot of time. And should the need arise to be in front of a judge, you'll already have someone prepared to go with you and advocate for what you already has a working relationship with the judge, other attnys, etc.
  8. DaisyFace

    DaisyFace Love me...Love me not

    Just an update:

    Looks like the point is moot.

    There are not that many attorneys in the state who would be qualified to fight the system. I contacted the law firm closest to me that deals with family court, juvenile issues and government law and they turned me down flat. Advised me that I needed to find an attorney who knows the state's mental health system inside and out. They had no idea who that might be...they had no recommendation for me.

    Next closest firm is more than an hour's drive...

    And the one after that is some three hours from here.

    All things considered, they may as well be on another planet.

    So I guess that's that.
  9. AnnieO

    AnnieO Shooting from the Hip

    Don't give up... Easier said than done, but...
  10. JJJ

    JJJ Active Member

    Is your husband the father of both children? If not, I have a twisted idea that might work...
  11. DaisyFace

    DaisyFace Love me...Love me not

    Yes, he is. Although we often joke that if we divorced and found new spouses we'd have more options...
  12. Shari

    Shari IsItFridayYet?

    Call those other firms. If they deal in that, they may work with you on the distance problem. But do at least call.

    We met an attorney who was looking for someone to fight a charge of "minor in possession" of a serviceman who was on leave after coming home from Iraq, at the time. It was his personal beef, and he'd have taken it on free of charge. A lot of them have pet projects. Maybe you'll get lucky.