I think I've finally.....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
mastered The Entertainer. Between that piece & Tiger Rag I've been practicing my fingers off & becoming slowly discouraged.

I find I play classical pieces better than jazz or ragtime. What is it with the jazz syncopation that I can't master? :rolleyes:

Thanks for listening....

by the way, my next recital is in May - you're all welcome once again. :flower:

tiredmommy

I had trouble learning to scat vocally while taking voice lessons in college. I eventually hit on this method as I was struggling with the rhythm: I would pat myself on the chest over my heart with my right hand while practicing the rhythm. I cut my practice time down significantly by focusing on what I was struggling with head on. Good luck.
I look forward to the recital in May...
:flower:

Martie

I think the trick is to memorize the piece--that will free you to go with the rhythm--at least it worked for ex-difficult child, who also finds it much easier to play classical music than improv. of any type. However, he learned to do it--but found memorization to be the key.

Hope this works for you, too.

Martie

Save me a seat also :smile:

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Martie,

I nailed the piece at my lesson yesterday. :bravo: I was being far too hard on myself.

I, like your difficult child, memorize the music as well then work on fine tuning the piece. (Keeps this old mind sharp :smile:)

My instructor assigned The Entertainer as a piece I will be playing at my next recital, along with a minuet by Bach. The third & fourth pieces haven't been decided as of yet.

This Sunday I'm attending a piano workshop put on by a clinician from the U of M. Kind of nervous about it.

Thanks ladies, I will be holding seats for you all. I loved the roses thrown at my feet at the last recital! :smile:

It's good to have something non difficult child related to feel good about.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Linda, has the 6 year old prodigy from your last recital recovered from her injuries yet? It's hard on us old gals to run interference for you. :wink: :rofl:

Congratulations on your latest achievement. That's wonderful!

Suz :smile:

Martie

Linda,

Are you playing the autograph of The Entertainer or a transcription?

The reason I ask is if I remember correctly, there is a 13 note reach in the autograph--no small accomplishment if that is what you are playing :bravo:

The PIECE is an accomplishment in any arrangement, but Joplin had big hands, so he wrote in long reaches. Ex-difficult child could not play the autograph until he was 12 or 13 due to this feature.

Martie

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Martie - this arrangement has no 13 note reach. It's a tough arrangement that's for sure.

I'm graduating to the next level in a couple of weeks; my new book includes an ever harder arrangement of this same piece. I'm actually looking forward to taking that one on.

I'm not sure that my hands can even stretch that far.

by the way, if Ex-difficult child is in the midwest anytime soon, maybe he can give me an extra lesson or two. I can tell how proud you are of his accomplishments.

Suz - the 6 year old prodigy doesn't scare me anymore. She's just a flash in the pan. :rofl:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> She's just a flash in the pan. </div></div>

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

S-