I think my kitty is dying

F

flutterbee

Baby Abbey. She's a year old.

Some of you may remember how sick she was at 11 weeks old and how we thought we might lose her then. That's when we found out that her kidneys are malformed. She's been doing wonderfully - maintaining kidney function and is just pure joy.

2 nights ago she was her happy little self, trying to catch the bugs that were on the outside of the window...doing sneak attacks. Yesterday she just laid around in my room. Every time I get out of the shower, she comes running in to lick the water off the side of the tub. It's her thing. I got out yesterday and she didn't come....even when I called, where's the baby? I was a bit concerned, but it wasn't unusual for her to have a quiet day here and there.

Last night as I was going to bed, she was laying on difficult child's robe on my floor. She's about the same color and I didn't see her and almost stepped on her. She didn't make a noise, just got up and went under the bed. That's when I started to get worried. She stayed under the bed all night.

I got up this morning and fed the cats and she didn't come to the kitchen. I went back to my room to check on her and she had come out from under the bed and was back on the robe. I brought her a bowl of water and she sniffed it and went back under the bed. She's still there. When her kidney's were failing before, she wouldn't drink either.

I have a bad feeling about this. I think her kidneys are failing. We have an appointment at the vet at 4pm.

My heart is breaking. :crying: I couldn't love her more if she were a human child. I feel like I'm going to throw up. She's such a sweet girl. And she's just a baby.

Please keep a good thought for Abbey. I'll update after the appointment.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm rattling kitty mice and shaving the floor with cat nip in hopes of a postive outcome - like maybe she just ate a bad bug.

Hoping this too....shall pass.

(((((((((((((HEALTHY KITTY VIBES))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

:redface:

Lothlorien

I hope they can give her something. Maybe it's just a little kidney infection and they can give her some antibiotics. Sending many good thoughts!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh, my! The poor baby.

Praying hard for her, keeping fingers crossed, and sending good juju your way. Bruce, Betsy, Molly, and Rowdy are rooting for her, too.

(((hugs)))

janebrain

Aw, Heather, hope she will be okay. I'm so sorry she isn't feeling well and I hope she can pull through. Please update us when you can. I am thinking of you, know how hard it is...
Jane

Heather,

I'm so sorry!!! I'll be keeping you and your "baby" in my thoughts and prayers... Please update when you can. Sending lots of hugs and a cyber shoulder to lean on... WFEN

Steely

Oh Heather..........
How did the vet go today?
I feel so sad for you!

You know my baby kitty passed a couple of years ago - and it was the first time I had ever felt real, sustainable grief. He really was my easy child baby. I have judged myself for feeling so attached to a fur child - but as time has passed - I have realized that animals really do hold a spiritual place in our hearts - despite the fact that they cannot talk, they are amazing beings.

I am so praying that Abbey is going to be OK.
Hugs.

splitN2

I am brand new to these things and I don't know what I'm doing but I have a cat and 2 dogs and my animals have always been my closest chance to sanity or serenity. I really feel for you so deeply and I pray that Abbey and you are ok!

F

flutterbee

Thank you for all of the good thoughts. :flowers:

She has a fever of 105, but her kidney values are good. Yay! They gave her some sub-q fluids and an injection of antibiotics, plus some oral antibiotics that I give twice a day starting tomorrow. So, the diagnosis is undetermined infection. They're not sure what because she's not coughing or sneezing, vomiting or having trouble urinating (that we're aware of - and when she had the kidney infection as a baby, you couldn't miss it). The vet said her immune system is probably compromised so when she gets sick, she gets really sick. I mean, I laid down on the floor with her after I posted this thread and she didn't move at all. I really thought I was going to lose her today.

I've been so worried. I held her in my arms in the vet's office and she NEVER lets anyone hold her. She doesn't even like to be on your lap.

I'll be keeping a close eye on her. The fluids and antibiotics should have her perked up some by morning. If she's still as lethargic and not eating/drinking, I'll be taking her back to the vet.

Thank you again. :)

4sumrzn

Ohhh.....glad I checked right back. Sounds like she will be just fine ;) I'll keep the get better thoughts coming your way!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Poor little kitty... they never know what is going on when they are sick, kind of like a real baby. At least she has a caring Momma! I hope she perks up soon.

Lothlorien

Thanks for the update. Just an infection. I hope the antibiotics kick in soon and she's better.

Can you get her to drink water? If not, the old eye dropper might come in handy.

Let us know how she is tomorrow. Will be thinking of you and her.