I Think That Track Agrees With difficult child

B

Bunny

This was the first week of track practice for difficult child. Track is a walk on sport, so he doesn't have to "try out", which would make difficult child's anxiety go through the roof! He comes home every day and tells me that he really likes it (for now, anyway) and they practiced this event today, or that event. His temper has been a little more even. I think he's just tired when he gets home and the good, fresh air can only help him.

It's only the beginning of it, but at least it's something positive.

susiestar

Roll With It
AWESOME!! I think it is a great sport for a difficult child because you can compete with a team but not as a cog in the wheel of the team, Know what I mean?? He can even look at it as competing against himself by keeping track of his times.

Nancy

Bunny I don't usually read this forum but I saw this post and had to comment. Track is a great sport for him. My easy child did track and since it is a walk on sport everyone gets to join. And there are so many different events that hopefully he will find a few that he really likes. I loved going to the meets and watching easy child, although they were soooooo long and our weather in spring is not usually very good. I remember husband and I sitting through meets in snowstorms and pouring rain and wind. easy child did hurdles and long jump and pole vault and had a great time and made good friends.

I hope this works out well for him. Good luck.

Nancy

InsaneCdn

Did you know that in many places, HS and University track is both individual AND team? That the team gets points for being able to at least put bodies into every event? (It's the only team I could ever qualify for... and did so because I was prepared to be the "body" on sports where we didn't have stars... like discus)

B

Bunny

AWESOME!! I think it is a great sport for a difficult child because you can compete with a team but not as a cog in the wheel of the team, Know what I mean?? He can even look at it as competing against himself by keeping track of his times.

Exactly!! When difficult child played baseball, he was not very good. If there was a guy on third that they needed to get home to win or tie the game and difficult child came up to the plate you could hear the whole team groan because they knew that difficult child was not going to get that guy home. That's why this is perfect for him. It's a "team" sport with out it being a team sport.

So far they've done alot of track sports. They haven't started the field events, so there might be something there that he likes. So far he says that he likes the short distance runs. 100 meters, 150 meters, things like that.

buddy

I that that is wonderful! Track is the ONLY sport Q has ever joined that was not adapted for kids with special needs (though he could not coordinate enough to jump any hurdles nor the high jump but they just had him do what he could). Swimming, golf, track, gymnastics, bowling, all great because they can participate with the team but do their individual thing. Keep us updated as to how it is going....

(does anyone watch The Middle? The sitcome with Patricia Heaton (sp?) the old mom from everybody loves raymond. The daughter tries for EVERYTHING and gets kicked out of everything. She finally got a letter jacket being in track. If you get a chance, the show has grown on me... the youngest son has brittle bone disease in real iife. Kind of a fun escape)