I think we have a plan!!!!

mstang67chic

Going Green
After a couple of weeks of letters to and from difficult child crossing in the mail, we FINALLY got him to call us. Good thing too seeing as how he gets out this coming week.

He's having a mini-freak out over his SSI because he got a letter notifying him of changes. I finally interrupt him and say that yes, I know about it. Mainly because I went to the SS office and made sure everything was taken care of for his release. (He won't have to reapply because even though I notified them of his incarceration, they continued to send checks. All I have to do is return the checks, which I never cashed because I knew they were a mistake, and take him to the office with his release papers.)

He was also under the impression that he was all set for the local mens shelter since his caseworker at the prison gave him a referral and information on the place. :slap: So.....I called the guy who runs the place during my lunch hour yesterday. NOW it's just about set. All difficult child has to do is call him after he gets out. The director will go over the program with him, he called it a descipleship program, and if difficult child agrees to it, he's in. If difficult child sleeps at our house, it will only be for one night!!! :dance:

I thought this would be the best thing for him and after talking to the director, I'm even more convinced. husband and I, while not church goers, are believers. This program is a Christian based program with a lot of church involvement. The shelter has two businesses it runs (a burger joint and a thrift store) to fund itself so the residents are put to work. They are charged a percentage of their income if they have one, with the max being 30% per week. If they work for the shelter they get $$ off their rent....1 hour = 1%. They still have to pay at least 10% but I think that is more than reasonable.

HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE I can't wait!!!! Much as I love him, I don't want him living here again and now....he won't be!!!! :yess:

buddy

So glad things are falling into place for difficult child and for your peace of mind. Hope this place is good for him. It is kind of cool that they have plans to help them be productive and really earn some of their way.... sounds really hopeful.

H

HaoZi

So it's the one I thought it might be? You'll have to let me know how their burgers are. :) Glad a plan is in place, hope he agrees to it.

H

HaoZi

You'll have to let me know and PM me the hours, maybe we'll be out that way sometime and can stop in for something to eat.

H

HaoZi

That works better, the only time we're out that way is on our way to the movies, lol.

klmno

That sounds like a good plan and smooth transition for him. He doesn't have to worry about sleepping on the streets and will have a good opportunity to get in the job market and this is so much better than him coming back to live with yyou given the situation. Good job!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
YAY!!!

I'm glad, for him AND especially for you and husband. And all the work you did - WHEW! (Did he think it would just "happen"?)

Tiredof33

Great news! We have 2 prisons close by and it is so sad the see young women out on work details, some look like they should be in high school.
My sister works in one 'training' department and at least they can test for the GED if they want to.
They had a 'transition' program and the inmates were brought into our small town grocery store to buy groceries. They were dressed in jeans and tees and I knew who they were and that the prison officer was with them. I thought it was great to get them used to life outside prison. Some old foggies in the town were outraged and they stopped the program. I hope it never happens in their perfect little families!!!