buddy

Many years ago I took Mandt but here we all use (schools, behavior programs, human service programs, group homes etc...) CPI Crisis prevention intervention I believe. Same principals in both. The point is to learn to de-escalate as the most important step (and boy oh boy do people forget that and have to be the winner, or the boss and you are the kid so you WILL listen etc... causing a huge blow up) and then you do learn how to safely remove yourself or restrain. When you look up CPI you do see it in many states. YOu must be certified yearly and in the schools I have taught in, the school insurance demanded that we be trained and training in one site did not mean you were covered in another site. Each insurance company can demand that you be trained thru their company to make sure they are less liable in a crisis situation.

susiestar

Roll With It
Hi and Welcome! You have gotten great info. I am glad you found us cause it sure sounds like you need a group like us! Don't feel bad about that - most of us are pretty much in your shoes in many senses when we find this amazing online family. Please, as you read replies and various threads, remember that even if you don't agree with whatever someone says, we do say it with the best intentions and love and NOT to hurt. If you disagree, that is NOT a bad thing usually - it lets us see different perspectives. I sometimes come across as a bit stricter in some senses, but I give ALL the support possible even if you make a choice that wouldn't work for my family. Like the others, I know that just because it worked or didn't work for us doesn't mean it isn't right for your family.

In the waiting time to get him into various professionals, start a parent report. It is a document with ALL the info about him that you create. the link in my signature will take you to the archive thread that describes it and has the outline for it. in my opinion it is the MOST powerful tool that parents have to help their child other than their instincts.

You have no idea how nice it to find people who know what is like to be me... well actually you probably do.

I don't really have anyone else. My husband is a truck driver and although he has a lot of home time because he's not over the road there are times were he is out for three days so I'm alone. There have been times my son has been so bad I've considered calling the police but I just don't have anyone else but I feel so stupid about that.

I've started reading the Explosive Child book and I see so much of my child in that book. I'm fortunate this week I'm on break (I'm a student too) so I have time to read.

I get a lot of suprise from people when I tell them we get all our work done in 2 hrs. But I did a lot of research on my son when I was figuring that out. I realized that he can't concentrate well until about 10am so thats when we start. Then once I have him focused we continually finished all our lessons in 2 hrs. It seemed crazy to me but it worked. We do math, science, social studies, language arts, reading, and spanish in that time. We then have a break for lunch and quiet time for an hour and then he has to help around the house. Once a month we go on a field trip related to what we are learning about. We take a few days off for Thanskgiving, a week for Christmas, and 2 weeks in Summer. The good is that I get to teach him at his peak time for learning which little struggle, the bad is we have a lot of time left during the day that is open.

buddy

Really, there are all those studies that talk about on task time for students anyway and it boils down to only a couple of hours at most. I can see that you actually could do that for sure.

Steely

I homeschooled Matt for a bit, and actually when you take out all the breaks, the fluff, electives, etc....it really does only boil down to 2-3 hours a day of pure learning.

I did join many homeschool groups, and tried to have a field trip or social activity for him twice a week. If he wasn't out on those, then we would watch an educational show or video on the subject he was learning about.

We live pretty far out in the country so unfortuantely we have to drive pretty far to get to educational places like museums and the like. Riding long distance and being bored is a major trigger for him so I limited that to once a month. Our favorite one so far has been the space center in Houston. A 5 hr trip but we have family down there too. Definitely a great place.

Malika

Is he into nature and the natural world at all? My son, who is only 5 so it may not be comparable, loves going out into the woods bug-hunting, climbing trees, throwing sticks into ponds, etc. Any chance of doing biology field studies outside in the afternoon occasionally? Does he do any sports?