I took my doggie in

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
to have her teeth cleaned because she had hideous "roadkill" breath.

They just called and had to pull 2 of her teeth. :-(

The poor little doggie is a rescue and was already missing most of her bottom teeth when I got her. We jokingly call her "toof-ess". She's getting closer all the time.

But, she came thru with flying colors and the bill isn't terrible. And, with a little rest tonight and some canned food tomorrow, she'll get to come home. So I'm happy.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Shari, can I ask how old is your dog? I have a nine year old mastiff presently in good health, but just looking at his teeth I want to cringe, because they aren't very clean. They never used to be this way, but I am leery of having them cleaned because they would need to put him "out" to do this. He still eats dry dog food with a healthy appetite, so just wondered your opinion about this procedure........ Are you aware of any other way to help get his teeth cleaner? (short of brushing, he would never allow that)......

TerryJ2

Aw, poor doggie.

If it makes you feel any better, I had a collie that had no front teeth other than the canines. She had worn down all her teeth, gnawing at fleas when she was a stray. :(

I'm not sure if she was sweet to begin with or if that made her even sweeter. :)
And yes, thank heaven for canned dog food!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Aw, poor baby. Our first rescue cairn had to have 4 teeth pulled shortly after we brought him home. Since then, I just brush our dogs' teeth and hope for the best. They eat a raw diet, so they get plenty of bones to help keep their teeth clean. It's so strange, because Nala has perfectly fine breath. Sophie's breath has always been horrid, and I notice Izzy's breath is kind of yucky. The vet has never recommended an actual cleaning or dental visit, but I'm thinking that Sophie could probably use one.

Did they give you any pain medications at all?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
No pain medications, just antibiotics. And she wolfed down a can and a half (big cans) of dog food when she got home today. (I wasn't going to let her eat that much but she kept ripping into the bag of dry food!)

WMW, I've never had a dog with teeth issues, either. Had an old dog once, he was about 14, and had a tooth abcess and had to pull it, but that is my one isolated tooth incident ever. This poor dog came as a rescue 2 years ago. The rescue group said she was around 5. My vet thought she was more like 7 or 8. The rescue group had taken most of her lower teeth before I got her. Our vet is now recommending having her teeth cleaned at least once a year (cause she doesn't have many left) and some kind of tartar treats that she can chew and will chemically help break down the tartar. She'd had no change in appetite, but after he asked me about it, I paid more attention and discovered she was just swallowing her food whole without even attempting to chew it! (survival doggie, here...I never knew her teeth hurt! Thank goodness for roadkill breath).

My vet just used gas to calm her for the cleaning, and it really wasn't very expensive (I was shocked).

Glad she's home. We now have a geriatric horse and a middle-aged dog who need regular dental appointments. LOL

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Well, the good thing is, they both use the same vet!

Maybe he'll take difficult child and me as dental patients, too, and we'll get a family discount!