MICHL

When I read your post, and saw age 5... maybe I'm wrong, but is'nt age 5 too young for these medications - Abilify & Buspar??

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
MICHL- most of these medications are prescribed off label... none are really recommended for children.
On that note though... many children are on both medications. While Buspar is not, I feel appropriate for my child, some do well on it. In different situations.

http://www.bipolarchild.com/newsletters/0302.html

If you read on the Bipolar child website I believe a study was done in 2003... by our original psychiatrist, Dr. Pavuluri. She did a study on Abilify. All ages, she specifically speaks of a 5yo child. But while I wish my child could get along with no medications... the line of thinking for a lot of psychiatrists is to start with a Antipsychotic (we started with Risperdal, then Abilify) Then you move to a Mood Stabilizer- Age is not a factor given our difficult child's severity of symptoms.
We do not like the Buspar but the new psychiatrist wanted to treat the anxiety first... we have to keep our difficult child medicated...

What medications is she supposed to be on at this age, if you don't mind me asking?

SRL

Just a heads up, Totoro: we have had some very unstable 5 year olds come through the early childhood boards who have cut themselves, siblings, or classmates with sharp objects. It's not common but be vigilant because it does sometimes happen.

Andrea Danielle

I am so sorry to hear this is happening Totoro! I don't come on the board much lately, it been very busy around here but I do try to follow what is going on in your life because our difficult children are very similar and we seem to be going through a lot of the same things. This sounds really bad for you.
I am sending you a big hug! I sure hope they get the medications right soon so that you can have some peace and happiness in your home.

Andrea

:flower:

totoro

Thanks everyone.
SRL- that is why we are backing off of the Buspar, and we are on constant watch of her... I am talking to her pediatrician in the a.m. She has her on a psuedo 5 yo suicide watch... she feels although difficult child most likely will not do anything to hurt herself... we should still watch her. Most likely we will be done with the Buspar... Even if psychiatrist didn't feel it was serious... well we did and so did our pediatrician! She is still cycling pretty bad, very extreme, ups and downs. :frown:

She is more just sad and anxious right now and then EXTREMELY MANIC!!!

F

flutterbee

Have you tried videotaping her so psychiatrist can see what you are seeing? Just a thought....

ETA: Your pediatrician doctor sounds wonderful.

totoro

Oh yes... we come prepared... full parent report. nuero-psychiatric evaluation. full diagnosis from UIC. videos. Copies of everything. Next week is it, our pediatrician is ready to fight for us if things dont turn around!
difficult child 2 just was diagnosis'd with Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) and what looks like an evolving Mood Disorder this week. The Occupational Therapist (OT) said her Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) is pretty bad, worse than difficult child 1!!!
We have some bad genetics!!! I can not make this stuff up if I tried!!! LOL

F

flutterbee

I know you've talked to your pediatrician doctor, but has s/he seen difficult child since this episode started this time (episode(s) related to this thread)? I'm wondering if a letter from the pediatrician doctor to the psychiatrist would be of any help. I know you have all of the documentation, but if pediatrician doctor could write to the psychiatrist about what is happening NOW it might be helpful.

Just trying to think of ways to make psychiatrist understand. I can only imagine how frustrated and heart sick you must be.

ETA: I missed that you said you were taking difficult child to the pediatrician doctor in the morning. Sorry. I'm going to blame it on the medications. :wink:

Sara PA

From "Focus on Aripiprazole (Abilify)" on Medscape
Other recognised side-effects include hypertension, tachycardia, anorexia, ecchymosis, weight loss, hostility, suicidal ideation and manic reaction.

totoro

Thanks Sara-
We are done today with Buspar. So we will see what we are left with? She is now on 5mg of Abilify and that is it. Her mood is basically just like pre-medication level... so it is very hard to tell if it is a reaction or the medications not working. My gut is telling me her medications are not working quite right. The Abilify has helped the extreme violence and rages... but all other symptoms are up and down.
When we saw adverse reactions with Risperdal and Trileptal, you knew that was what it was! I will mention it though.
Could be the season adding to her mood also???

DammitJanet

Totoro...

So sorry this is all going on. Hope you get a mood stabilizer pronto.

Yes you are right that the season can play a part. Spring is famous for inducing mania. There is an article someplace on the bipolar child website but I wouldnt know where anymore.

I know I get a bit more erratic this time of year. Spring and xmas are my worst times.