I want to talk about commercials.

scent of cedar

Ya.

I love that one too. :smile:

Or how about the commercial where the man lost all their money because he didn't use the right investment company and breaks it to the wife by asking her whether she meant it when she said she always wanted to live in a cabin in the woods with no running water or electricity?!?

(Sort of like what my husband did to me when he moved me out here ~ except for the part about the running water. And the electricity.)

Or how about the one about investments where the elderly man is being rushed into surgery and the nurse lifts the blanket and says "Why Doctor! This man has money falling out his wahzoo!"

Oh, wait.

That's a punch line to a joke, now that I think about it.

Barbara

mom_in_training

mom_in_training

Oh and another.... :) I just have way to much time on my hands, Well not really but I do browse here and there to find humor in between the feed times (G-Tube) for my son. Anyway, I thought this was way to funny.

The 911 call commercial: Audio vid

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/just_plain_stupid/funny_17/

quick note, Just remembered, I absolutely hate the commercial about the gellon (With my new bride Ellen, Everything rymes Yikes!!) for shoes and the worst jello jigglers, I think thats what it is where all of the people are dancing around like their all on muscle relaxing drugs. Yikes!!!!!

F

flutterbee

Several years ago there was a carpet commercial...Dupont, I think....but you didn't realize it was a carpet commercial until the end. With the way it starts, you expect it to be a perfume commercial.

A handsome man in a tux next to an elegantly dressed table, wine, candles the whole nine yards. In walks a gorgeous woman in an evening gown. She's sauntering to him in slow motion. He's trying to be suave and puts his hand on the table to lean. The table tips over and it's food and wine all over the carpet and the man falls to the floor. The part that always made me laugh was the look on his face when he righted himself. Very sheepish...in all their elegant clothes and decor.

Those are funny! Sometimes the beer commercials are the best ones. Especially at superbowl time.

A couple beer commercials I remember, I think they were both for Bud lite...the rubber floor? Where the guy is bouncing the beers to his friends. Then the girl comes home, the dog jumps off the couch, and bounces out the door...
Then the one where they are gonna throw rock paper scissors for who gets the last beer. One guy throws paper, the other guy throws an actual rock at the other guy's head and knocks him out.

OK, now a new commercial that ticks me off. It is for T-mobile. It is a bunch of teens, each doing their own thing, and one of them texts all of them at the same time, so they all take off and run into this grocery store. They tape off the aisles, grab a bunch of carts, half the kids sit in the carts, half push them, and they have a race. They knock over displays, rip through this tape, and then run out of the store.

And someone, at some point, decided that this was a good idea to make as a commercial. Nice.

F

flutterbee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: witzend</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those cavemen weird me out. </div></div>

Me, too. The gecko isn't much better.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I guess my all time favorite(s) are the Budweiser horse ones. The donkey who wants to be a Clydesdale is sweet, because I love donkeys, but the little baby pulling the wagon is my all time #1 fav.

I also saw and did not know they made a commercial for 911. It's the most reverent commercial I think I have ever seen from Budweiser. You have to go to utube and type in search for Budweiser horses and you'll find it there. It made me tear up.

There's also another one with a little rat that scratches the Clydesdales ears....and gets to be with the team. I have rescue rats! Whoda thunk...but they are great pets.

donna723

Star, the Budweiser 911 commercial is my all time favorite too. It makes me cry every time I watch it. I believe it was only aired once, during the Super Bowl after 911. It just took my breath away! And there isn't even one single word of dialog in it!

I LOVED the one too with the Clydesdale colt who thought he was pulling the beer wagon all by himself and didn't know that the two bigger ones (his parents??) were behind it, pushing! It said so much, again without even one word spoken!

Does anyone remember the Budweiser commercial with the Dalmatian puppies? I loved that one too ... I love them all! Two Dalmatian puppies in a box, and one is chosen to become a fire house mascot. As they're lifting him out of the box, he turns around and sticks his tongue out at his brother. Time goes by and the brother becomes the dog who rides on the Budweiser beer wagon. The beer wagon and the fire truck pass each other on the road, and the Dalmatian on the beer wagon sticks HIS tongue out at his jealous brother!

OMG am I dense.

I watched the baby clydesdale commercial earlier today on Utube (MIT posted the link) and I did not get it. Duh.

I completely forgot about the 9/11 commercial. Yup. I bawl every time too.

I don't remember the dalmatian one, but...speaking of dalmatians...Tink and I sat down to watch Oliver & Co. today. The "coming attractions" on the video was for the live version of 101 Dalmatians, when Glenn Close played Cruella DeVille?

Hugh Laurie played Horace! (the tall thin bad guy)

Now I gotta dig up that movie and watch it again. He is fine.

Marguerite

husband was watching this thread and found some links for you, for some well-known Aussie ads. Admittedly, some were made in New Zealand, but they're very similar to us in so many ways...

Antz Pantz is a brand of underwear - this ad features a very hot model with an unusual way of solving her ant problem -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU59Vq-nxjg

The famous (infamous?) Toyota ad - let me remind you, the single word repeatedly spoken in this ad is NOT a swear word in Australia - here, its meaning is, "Oh dear, what a pity." Or perhaps more succinctly. "Oops."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sn9L94YrNk

The Carlton Draught Big Ad has been such a success that there are a number of spoofs of it around. Like the previous one, this was also filmed in New Zealand, in classic Lord of the Rings country.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/283486/its_a_big_ad/

I haven't checked these myself, I'm taking husband's reliability for it.

Enjoy.

Marg

DammitJanet

How about that GEICO commercial with the Cabbage Patch doll that grows up to start driving...lol.

I actually think the GEICO commercials are pretty good.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Margurite.......

That bugger commercial is about the funniest thing I've seen in forever....where the dog misses the back of the truck had me in stitches, trying not to LOL at work. I was in tears. Everytime I thought about it i would start laughing again.

THANK YOU!!!!

Marguerite

You guys just used THAT word - I've been chided for using it on this site and because some words are perfectly acceptable for us, I have to remember they're not always, for others.

But it's a word commonly used even in Aussie parliament. I guess it's from our Pommie background, they use it and the Kiwis do too - and that marvellous ad was made in New Zealand, for a joint NZ/Aust market.

It's a classic. Absolutely!

And now for the icing on the cake - you may recall the fireworks around the world, on New Year 2000. This was about the same time that fabulous ad we've been talking about hit the scene (and won gold at Cannes). Because Sydney was to be hosting the 2000 Olympics it was decreed that our New Year fireworks, already impressive, were to be several orders of magnitude better than before.

Our Sydney Harbour Bridge (the 'coathanger') is always an important feature of the midnight fireworks display. The place is loaded with more explosive power than - I don't know what. Various mysterious structures go up, loaded with mortars, cables, compressors and gunpowder, all set and timed to perfection. At midnight it all lights up for a half hour display which at times rains gold from the deck of the bridge, onto the Harbour below. Even the entire rim of the arch shoots out giant mortar shells which burst into amazing colour.

Midnight on December 31 1999 saw the start of an amazing display which was later voted among the best in the world that year. The pall of smoke which was all that was left half an hour later, was similarly impressive but expected.

But the front page of Sydney's leading paper next morning - the Sydney Morning Herald - showed a lovely Photoshopped image, full width, of the famous Sydney Harbour Bridge pylons on either end - and nothing in between but a pall of smoking stumps of the arch.
The headline - "Bugger!"

Nothing else.

I could probably track down a copy but only through libraries, I can't find a copy online as a link. Pity.

It IS archived, in our National Library (Canberra), Mitchell Library (Sydney) and Fisher Library (Sydney University). Other university libraries will have their own microfiche copies also - probably still have hard copy. But unless you can drop in for a visit...

The Toyota ad bugger campaign is still ongoing - the latest ad in this series (which began in 1998) is a bloke pulling a stump out with his ute (pickup) and on the other side of the world in Japan, we see a cherry tree vanish down a hole and start to pull other things in after it.

They just don't stop!

Marg

I never heard that as being a curse word, or even a not nice word. The closest is (sorry girls) booger, which is, erm, snot. Similar, but pronounced differently enough that there is a distinct difference. Anyways. Very funny commercial.

I don't watch much t.v. or really pay much attention to commercials but there is one commercial that really made me laugh the first time I saw it - Anyone see the commercial for sticky notes? An elderly couple is obviously still very much in love and ready to begin the day. As they're smiling at eachother, she is wearing his dentures and he is wearing hers... :rofl: ...WFEN