I was laid off yesterday

Stella Johnson

The company I worked for has been struggling for a long time. I worked there for 6 1/2 years. They cut half of the corporate office. :smile:

I was pretty shaken yesterday morning when it happened. I have a new plan and direction to go in. Feeling much better about it now.

I talked to several former co workers. Some that are still there. Everyone is still in shock.

I'm going to get my insurance adjuster's license next month. I'm thinking of going into insurance fraud now. Eventually i will get my PI license.

difficult child was making a list of jobs she wants me to do. On the top of her list she had police and doctor. :rofl: She cracks me up. I told her I would be home for a while. She is happy about that. I think I will enjoy being a stay at home mom for a little while.

Still feels strange not working.

Steph

PiperThree

Hey Stella,

Sorry about getting laid off - I know all too well what that feels like. It sounds though like this could be a blessing in disguise - you already have a direction to go with by getting your insurance adjuster's license and then eventually a PI so perhaps the silver lining in all of this will be a good thing! Plus, like you said, your difficult child is happy you'll be home for a while - that's got to be a nice feeling :smile: If you can collect unemployment for a while or if you have a severance package, try not to worry too much. You'll find a better job and start sooner than you think!

Hang in there and good luck!

Piper

Sue C

Hi Steph,

I know what it feels like to be without a job. I've been out of work since early December. The problem I'm having with finding a job is that I want a secretarial type job that's nearby and part time. So does every other mom out there! (I live in a small rural town and the next town over isn't much bigger.) And now the longer I'm home, the more I don't feel like going back to work. Yikes!

I'm happy to see you have a plan and it sounds like you will enjoy your new line of work even better! For now, though, enjoy your time home. :smile:

Sue

Lothlorien

I know you've been stressed for a while. With all that's been going on, perhaps you need a fresh start and this is a good thing. I'm sorry that you were laid off, but maybe this is really the break that you needed to get things going in the right direction for you and difficult child. Good luck!

kris

<span style="color: #000099">so sorry to hear this, steph. i know the company has been in trouble for quite awhile now.

sounds like you have a plan already in place. good for you.

kris </span>

DazedandConfused

I'm sorry. I had a close call with something like that many years ago before the difficult children came along. However, I changed jobs just a few months before the layoffs were announced. I was very fortunate. I had no idea that was coming (it was due to a merger).

Though, you seem upbeat and you have a plan. It has Blessing in Disguise written all over it.

Estherfromjerusalem

Steph,

I'm really sorry about your being laid off. It is truly a shock when it happens -- it has happened to me twice in my life. Both times I found another job quite quickly.

You sound as if you are coping with it well. I hope things go as planned. Enjoy your time at home -- a bit of peace and quiet wouldn't hurt, for a while.

Hugs,

Love, Esther

rejectedmom

Awwwwwww I'm sorry. It must be a shock even when you know it is comming. I think people always hope they will make the cut even when the odds are slim. I know I would. Try to look at this as an unplanned vacation. I'm sure you will be back out in the proverbial rat race soon enough. -RM

Kathy813

Staff member
I'm so sorry. It happened to my husband a couple of weeks ago. I know what a shock it is.

I hope you find something quickly. It sounds like you already have some plans. Hopefully, this will be the start of something bigger and better.

~Kathy

witzend

Steph, I'm sorry to hear about your job. I hope that you will be able to find something soon, but in the meantime, did they give you a severance package? Hopefully you will be able to collect unemployment benefits until something else turns up.

Maybe this is an opportunity to move on to something that you will find really fulfilling. You never know...

busywend

Hey Steph - I find out Thursday about mine.

I am sorry to hear that it happened to you - but thrilled with your outlook on it. I am already there, kinda hoping it happens to me.

I know it sounds weird, but I think starting out fresh would be pretty good for me. I hope it is for you!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Oh gosh, Steph. I'm so sorry! I was laid off for 4 months last year and hated it. I'm glad you have some ideas and are making plans. Best of luck to you!

Suz

Stella Johnson

Piperthree,
I think there is a silver lining. It forced me to get off my rear and start looking. The company has been struggling for a long time.

SueC,
I found a website that has legit secratarial type jobs you can do from home. I can send it to you if you want to PM me with your email address.

Lothlorien,
I am looking forward to spending more time with difficult child. I'll have more time to get more involved in her school and be there when she leaves and gets home. I am happy about that.

kris,
Yes, they have been in trouble for a while.

Dazedandconfused,
I knew it was coming. I've known for a while. I had started looking but not very hard. Guess it's time. You were fortunate.

Esther,
It was a shock. I don't know why... guess I kept hoping it wouldn't happen. It will be weird being home all day.

rejectedmom,
I wish there was a way not to be in the rat race and still make a decent living. :hammer:

witzend,
They gave me 2 months severence plus I will be getting a check for what they would have paid into my benefits... it will come out to about 3 or 4 months total. I applied for unemployment online on Friday. It's not much but it's something. I'm ok for a few months at least.

busywend,
Weird thing is in a way I am kind of happy. We have all been on pins and needles at work for months now. Kind of a relief to have it over with.

Suz,
I have all kinds of ideas working. We'll see how many I follow through with. :wink:
I'm going to start selling some things on Ebay and see how that goes for the mean time. I want to start painting again and get some house projects finished that I kept making excuses for not doing. :smile:

Steph

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Steph

I'm sorry to hear about the job. But it sure looks like you're thinking positive about it. Maybe this is one of those crossroads type things. Hopefully you'll find a job more suited to what you would like to do.

((hugs))