I wasted 60 years of my life

Sara PA

I was at a picnic yesterday with a family whose women are famous for their pies. At these affairs there is so much variety of pies -- each as good as the next -- that people resort to sharing thin slices just so they can have a taste of each.

And so I had my first taste of strawberry rhubarb pie. When I'm on my death bed, I know one of my great regrets will be that I didn't eat this pie every time it was offered but waited until I was 60 to try it. I know why I never tried it -- as a child I couldn't stand the smell of rhubarb. But when I got older and we had rhubarb plants in the yard, I made desserts with it. Why oh why did I never try strawberry rhubarb pie? I'm a fool!

Oh, if someone gives you a strawberry rhubarb pie, don't eat it, you probably won't like it. Just send it to me. Or call, I'll come pick it up.....

And then there is mincemeat pie I didn't try until I was 57.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh, if someone gives you a strawberry rhubarb pie, don't eat it, you probably won't like it. Just send it to me. Or call, I'll come pick it up.....

:rofl:

I still can't stand the smell of rhubarb. So I promise you can have mine. :D

As for the mincedmeat pie.......I love mincedmeat with a passion. But I've always thought that in a pie it would be too sweet. So I've as yet to try it. Of course I'd have to find someone who makes it first. lol

klmno

Wow! I thought that was a southern, old-fashioned thing. I grew up with older family members growing their own rhubarb and making their pies from it. I wasn't crazy about it either- the smell or the way it looked or something. It tasted fine, but I haven't had in over 30 years!!

Mincemeat pie- I've heard of but never tried.

meowbunny

I've always known it as a Southern thing. Didn't like it as a kid, have no intention of trying it as an adult. As for mincemeat pie, no way. So, I promise if I ever get either, I'll save it for you. You'll just have to drive to Florida to get either of them.

klmno

by the way- this isn't the first connection that I've heard of between "old southern" traditions and "Pennsylvania Dutch" traditions- maybe they aren't as removed from each other as we are taught sometimes!!

M

ML

I am so glad you enjoyed the pie. We used to have rubarb in the yard and I thought it was ok but I will have to try the strawberry combo. I promise to send you some!

Sara PA

My ex mother in law tried to tell me shoo-fly pies were Southern. Or New Orleans. They're PA Dutch for sure.

PS -- Just googled "shoo-fly, southern". Yep, the South claims that too.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Sara,

You said : I wasted 60 years of my life. I think that is an incorrect statement. Suppose you live until you are 100.

That means that you have 40 more years to eat rhubarb/strawberry pie and know the joys of that fantastic taste. So you didn't really waste 60 years = you just spent the first 60 years of your life searching for the best.

Bravo on your accomplishment at such a young age.

And by the way - I used to carry a pocket knife and salt in my pocket as a kid. We ate rhubarb raw and OMG I remember it as being so good. That was until someone said - THAT Rhubarb you kids just ate? My dog peed on that earlier. - THEN it didn't taste so good.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I love strawberry/rhubarb pie (I always thought it was a midwest thing). I love rhubarb pie and rhubarb crisp even more! We too ate it raw as kids-only we dipped it in sugar-yum!

tiredmommy

I guess my life is a complete success, Sara. I've loved every imaginable variety of pie for as long as I can remember, lol! :rofl:

I've only ever tried rhubarb in a strawberry-rhubarb pie, and I just love it.

Outside of that, I don't even much care for strawberries.

Glad you liked the pie!

Fran

Former desparate mom
I love strawberry/rhubarb pie and I make a good one (if I do say so myself).
Hope you enjoy it for a long, long time.

Andy

Those are two of my favorite pies.

When I was a teenager, mom brought home a ton of rhubarb - took me two days to dice it up then I made Strawberry rhubarb jelly. Rhubarb is a filler and I believe I added strawberry jello packets for the flavor.

Mincemeat pie I get during the holidays but not often because no one else likes it either. I think my mom will eat it so those Holiday dinners with her we get it.

KTMom91

klmno, back in the olden days, mincemeat was actually minced meat. They took chunks of meat that had no other uses, diced them up, added fruits, and canned it. That knowledge is what keeps me away from mincemeat pies, since I can't be sure that there still aren't some unidentifiable meat scraps in there.

And more inconsequential trivia...headcheese was made by boiling the heads of the animals that had been slaughtered. The jelly-like substance comes out when you boil the bones, and the chunks of meat are what falls off the head. I don't eat this, either.

Sara PA

LOL

I bought my mincemeat pie at the butcher shop. I'm pretty sure it had some animal products in it.

I eat all those strange parts of animals. There's a reason they call that stuff "scrapple". (Also PA Dutch.) And then there are all the sausages. Tongue cooked until the gelatin forms is great too. (Gelatin comes from connective tissue, not bones.)