I went and did it

Fran

Former desparate mom
I went and adopted another rescue pup.
Cowboy and I really missed Honeysue(we put her down about 5 wks ago for spreading bone cancer) I swore I wouldn't go through the agony of losing a beloved pet.
Neither one of us could get used to being a one dog/one human pack.
I drove 8 hrs to Cincinnati to adopt a very scrawny, gangly pyr who had been close to death with kennel cough and pneumonia in a city shelter. He had been fostered for 5 wks and is on the road to recovery. I loved his face. We got in about midnight last night and so far so good.
He needs major calories and new fur. LOL. He didn't care for the bed of the capped truck 10min into the drive home, so he climbed through the window into the cab to lay his head on the armrest with his human companions. We were shocked but got a good laugh out of it. HE is definitely too skinny and very young. CB and HS would never even imagine such behavior. In the end, he was a very good traveler and a real calm sweet guy who needs some training yet. He was crated last night until he got comfortable and we are keeping him leashed when outside. He is just too skittish to be left on his own in such a strange environment.

His fur is horrible and he needs lots more muscle and fat to be in the normal range. Poor little guy. He will get his obedience training soon but he is house broken and doesn't seem to be destructive. Hopefully the vet will give him a clean bill of health and we can move forward.

His new name will be Mr. Darcy "Darcy" for short and I'm looking for an Elizabeth "Lizzie" to be his companion. I just don't think I can handle another drive that lasts more than 8 hrs anytime soon. I have driven through 12 states in 6 wks and would like to stay put.

Any mom's of rescue pups have suggestions for healthier shinier fur? The foster mom suggested fish oil capsules but I hesitate to do anything until I see our vet.
I'll try to upload a photo if I can.

So I'm a mom today. CB and I will have to adjust to having a new guy but it's good for both of us.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Fran, Am so sorry to hear about Honey :(

I know someone who gave their dog one raw egg a day for a shiny coat and swore by it.

What a nice Mothers Day present to yourself and Cowboy for mothers day.

Marcie

klmno

Way To Go, Fran!! I've seen treats at Petsmart that claim to be good for the skin and fur but I can't vouch for them. There is a dog food that must work- a friend of mine used it for her rescue dog and he ended up with a beautiful coat.

So, now a companiion for the rescue, huh?? LOL!! There must be something about us warrior moms that keep us wanting to take care of somebody. Hummmm.....

everywoman

Congrats Fran. Both of my little girls are rescue. They are the best little girls in the world. Don't know what I'd do without them. Love the names---P and P is one of my favorite all time novels.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Congratulations, Fran. I'm so happy for you and CB but most of all I'm happy for Darcy. It won't take him long to realize that yesterday was his lucky day! :thumbsup:

Suz :flowers:

flutterby

Fly away!
Fish oil capsules are the way to go. My vet gave me some, but you can buy the regular kind, too.

Also, you might want to check out this site:

http://shop.halopets.com/Pet-Supplements

I sent the page for supplements, but they have food, grooming and everything else, too.

I have the vitamin mineral mix, daily greens and the dream coat. The vitamin mineral mix and dream coat are just added to their food. Jewel is very finicky and she loves them. Daily greens are pills and are another story with her. She's happier eating grass.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Happy Mother's Day Fran ~ what a wonderful gift you've given yourself.

We had a dog (still do for that matter) who had/has terrible allergies affecting their skin. Science Diet has a food addressing fur/skin issues. I also use tea tree oil (in Petco I think) on Sally when her itching & allergies are horribly out of control. She's not losing fur like she used had in the past. I give Sally one or two cheese sticks a day (vet recommended) along with a small amount of oil packed tuna mixed in her food. (Don't give a huge amount or the results will be icky doggy snarf all over the place.)

I'm so happy for you. Again, Happy Mom's Day.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Thanks for the suggestions and the congrats.

klmo, I didn't think I was the sort to always need to take care of someone but obviously I am.

Janet, man I would love that with my food too. I love bacon. Ummmm.

Thanks Marcie. I am so sad about HS. She was only 4 yrs old and full of life.

everywoman, the P & P movie with Kiera Knightly is great and husband really loved the characters from the dad to Mr. D and E. The dialogue is wonderful.

Suz, thanks. I try to do right by them. It's a good thing husband came with me or I would have brought home another male. He isn't sure or ready for a third but I'm working on him. :bigsmile:

flutterby, thanks for the link

Timer, rofl about doggy snarf.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Congrats on your new fubaby.:D :D

I'm planning to get a pyranese once Molly passes. I fell in love with the breed when we adopted JoJo from the pound believing her to be a much older dog. Actually she was an 8 wk old pyr. No mistake about it. (our pound people are rather dumb with identifying breeds)

Broke Nichole and my hearts to send her to a rescue after 3 months proved to us we didn't have the room with already owning 3 dogs besides JoJo. I still miss her utter desire to please and her sweetness. I think of her every day. So once my older dogs have passed, I'll get a pyr baby to keep Betsy company.

Well, I'm trying really hard to wait that long. lol It will at least be a year at soonest possiblity. I just adore this breed. :)

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well Mr. Darcy, after all - only ever wanted a family to love his eccentricities. I'm glad you took him away from his "arranged" life..

Congratulations! It's so lovely to see such a soulful being find people who will love and care for him - much like the story. (which I also love)

Mr. Darcy -

I am pleased to inform you that the Fran Family will be over seeing your care and well-being for the months to come. Until we speak again. Sit, Down, & Speak for joy!!

Your's In Friendship
Ms. Star

Lothlorien

I'm sorry....I didn't know about HS. She had a very good life....you were so good to her.

So, you are looking for an "Elizabeth?" Does that mean you are going to have THREE big doggies? Goodness. You must vacuum daily!

Congrats on the new furbaby. I hope CB helps him learn the ropes.

susiestar

Roll With It
Congrats on adopting Mr. Darcy!!!

Way back when we had a dog the vet always said to give her a raw egg once or twice a week. She wouldn't eat it until it was mixed with her food, but she loved it then.

The Science Diet food for coats and skin didn't make much difference to our dog or my bro's dogs. Science Diet is not as good as it is touted to be by the manufacturer and vets. I think it was Donna who sent me the link for dog food analysis. It was a true eye opener - very surprising, almost shocking to me.

Here is the link so you can check it out yourself: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

I am very sorry about HoneySue. She was truly a sweetie! I hope the drive to bring Mr. Darcy wasn't too bad, although Cincy can be hard to navigate. (When we lived in Cincy my husband always said that whoever planned/built the roads must think straight roads are a sign of Satanism! LOL111

Wiped Out

Staff member
Congrats on you new furbaby! He is one lucky pup! I love that he climbed in to sit by you, something my furbaby would definitely do!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Thanks everyone. I am going to check on everything you suggested. He looks so scrawny but he really is so cute.

Susiestar if it were not for GPS I would still be driving in circles. I love GPS.

I'm sure Darcy appreciates all the board aunties welcoming him.

Loth, I'm so sad to lose HS but she fought as long as she could. 13 months : ( She had a good quality of life until the very end when she ate her entire breakfast on her last day. (food in our home is never wasted regardless of whether you are human or pet) LOL
I would like to have a companion for Darcy. He is playful and a puppy. CB pretty much ignores him. I do dust the kitchen and hallway everyday and vacuum those specific areas 2 times a week. However black clothes are a bit more work. I brush them as often as I can.

Star, Mr. Darcy was glad you had words for him.

Wiped out, if you could have seen our faces when his scrawny body launched through that window. It was probably priceless.

I knew you would appreciate a new pet.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Congrats, Fran. We drove past the shelter in town on the way to a birthday party yesterday and saw the volunteers walking the dogs. One was a pyrenees, and I thought of you! They are so pretty.

I used to give my husky tuna packed in oil. A can or two a week kept him shiney and sleek.

witzend

That's sweet, Fran. I hope he will get over his kennel cough. Bubba had it two years ago, and has never gotten over his snotty nose. It can be quite gross, but benadryl does the trick. He's far better off than I thought he would have been. The medications he had been on were brutal and I thought he would starve to death from upset tummy and lack of appetite. But we went with just treating the symptoms, and he's doing really well.

Lapdog pyrenese? LOL! Good luck with that!