I went to the right meeting!

TerryJ2

Thank you all (and my little sister) for urging me to attend an Alanon mtng.

Every single person there knew what Asperger's was.
Wow.
:surprise:

I bought the book they are using. So many AA type books speak in generalities, but this had a lot of specifics that really hit home and I was blown away.

At first, I was afraid it was the wrong mtng, because they said it was a "closed" mtng, meaning that only people with a direct relationship with-an alcoholic could attend. I thought, heck, my mom is dead and most of the other alcoholics I know are dead, so I won't be accepted. Then one woman clarified, "If you are a student writing a paper, we would refer you to another mtng."

"Oh. I wanted to deal with-detachment issues."

They all burst out laughing and said, "You're in the right place!"

They passed around the book, ea person read a selection and stopped at will whenever they got to a point that struck a chord, and brought up a personal issue to which it referred. The 3 readers b4 me all had great points that gave me ideas, and when they got to me, I read two paragraphs, then got to a good stopping point, and said, "I forgot, my mom was an alcoholic and I'm a 'fixer' person like you, and that definitely plays into my need to 'fix' my son and rescue my cousin."

Duh.

Just when you think you've put it all away in a locked cave somewhere ...

The lady sitting next to me is also a writer, and has a kid with-cerebral palsy and social issues, and we're having lunch in 2 wks, and the lady across from me was a school administrator, another mom has a spec needs kid but she got away b4 I could talk to her, and, and, and ... why was I networking in Rotary Club all these years??????

My purse is overflowing with-biz cards and referral numbers!

:bravo::bigsmile::faint:

Last edited:
M

ML

I'm so glad you found alanon! Sounds like you found a great support group there.

TerryJ2

Yes, I'm going back next week.
I'm especially going to need it with my crazy cousin coming down here next week.

klmno

I'm glad to hear you finally found some much needed support! It sounds like you found a great group, too. I've started pursuing going back to a support group, too. It's amazing how much a dysfunctional family can play into our lives forever!!