I'd Like To Introduce Myself

B

Bunny

Hi. My name is Pam and I am the stay at home mom to two boys, difficult child who is 11, and easy child who is 6. husband and I have been dealing with difficult child's problem behavior at home for what seems like forever. He's fantastic at school. Straight A student. All of our problems seem to be in the home, but from what I've heard this is common. We have an evaluation done over the summer and he was diagnosed as having General Anxiety Disorder and ODD. We put him on medications (Celexa) and are trying to find trhe right dose for him. It's helped a little, but there has not been nearly the change in behavior that I was hoping for.

Anyway, like I said, I'm new here and just wanted to say hello.

Pam

BusynMember

Hi and welcome, although I'm sorry you have to be here.

Why not tell us a bit more about him.

Are there any psychiatric problems on either side of his genetic family tree? Any substance abuse there?

How was his early development? Did he speak on time, make good eye contact with you and strangers? Did he play with toys appropriately? Can he relate to his same age peers? Does he know how to hold a give-and-take conversation? Does he have any strange quirks/behaviors? Does he have any obsessive interests?

Who diagnosed him? Has he ever been evaluated by a neuropsychologist?

B

Blue Nude

Hi Pam,

I'm new here too. I don't have much to offer to you, but someone who will listen with compassion.

B

Bunny

difficult child actaully did everything early, from walking to talking to cutting teeth he was always ahead of the curve. He is definately not on the autism scale and he can hold a conversation better than any lawyer I know (I used to work in the legal field). Celexa is the first medication that we tried. He's only been on it for about a month. Right after he started taking it I really saw a great deal of improvement pretty quickly. He seemed calmer and more able to control his temper and his anger. The last two weeks...it's not like he's regressed, but there hasn't been a great deal of progress either. It was a neuropsychiatrist who diagnosed him over the summer, and like I said, we are still working on getting him to the right dose.

In many ways I'm like many of your here: the good days are good, the bad days are like normal kids, the terrible days are truly terrible. Last night it was because his math teacher gave him way too much homework and he was off the wall because I would not call the school and complain about it. That's just not going to happen. He would never day anything to the teacher himself, but he'll totally unload on me because I won't say anything.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
What are the behavior problems at home that you want to manage better? High strung, defiance, aggression, anger? How is his mood or general disposition? Do you think he might have ADHD? I imagine they tested him for that. As far as the homework situation last night, was it because having that much overwhelms him? Or is it because he doesn't want to be bothered because he would rather be doing something else? Does he resist being told no, or to do something? If the Celexa worked great at first, maybe he does just need a dose increase.