I'd like to introduce myself

Laelee

My name is Lael,I am the frustrated mother of one 14 year old boy and one 9 year old girl. My daughter has ADHD and today's bad day led me to find all of you! Nothing unusual(to us,anyways) happened,I'm just having a hard time being patient with my very high maitnance kid and needed other adults who understand what those days are like.

I live with my kids,husband and cats in BC,in Western Canada.
My kids are both homeschooled and,we've been doing that for 8 years now. I look forward to getting to know you,and interacting with each and every one of you,here.
Lael

Welcome Lael!

Glad you found us. Very sorry that you had to. This indeed is a soft place to land.

If you would go to the FAQ forum, there is instructions on composing a signature (see the bottom of my entry for an example). It gives us all a chance to get to know you.

It being so late on a Sunday night, you may not get many responses, but rest assured, tomorrow morning, the warrior moms will be out in full force. There are lots of wise mommies here who have gone through what you are going through now, and you will find lots of great advice (and some good laughs!) here.

Again, welcome to the board!

Laelee

Thank you very much for the warm welcome!
A soft place to land..how wonderful. I can't tell you how comforting that was to read:)
I'm glad to be here!

Marguerite

Hang in there, Lael, life can be hectic with kids like ours.

You will find on this site that we often recommend "The Explosive Child" by Ross Greene. You haven't specifically indicated that you need it, but you are having a bad day with an ADHD kid so I figured, may as well pass it on. it doesn't help everybody - just a lot of us. It sure helped us. It's not a cure, or a fix, more a different management system that is easier, less stress and opens doors.

Marg

angels

<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'> </span>
Welcome Laelee,
I can understand completely. My 9yr old son can sometimes be a high maintence kid. He has ADHD and sometimes wonder if he has ODD. It's so hard not to. Everyday it's some kind of drama! I don't want to do this . I don't want to go here. The fighting with his younger brother. We are human, and there would be something wrong if you didn't. Just kidding!
Hang in there,
Angels :surprise:

susiestar

Roll With It
Welcome! I am so sorry your bad day led you to need us, but so happy that you found us!! We can't make it all better, but we can help by having truly been there done that in most situations. Usually someone here has some ideas for what you can do, and we all send lots of hugs and support even if we are just as confused as you are.

I would encourage you to have an exam by a child neurologist and a sleep-deprived EEG done and read by the same doctor.

Some forms of epilepsy can present like adhd. An EEG used to be required before they prescribed medications for adhd. Now it doesn't seem to be, but we found that it truly saved my daughter a whole lot of problems.

Hugs,

Susie

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Hi & welcome. I don't know of one parent here who hasn't had a day or two like yours (okay, maybe a few more).

I hope we can help you navigate the needs for your little one. If we don't have any new ideas, you will certainly find a large group of very supportive parents.

Take care of yourself.

busywend

Welcome to the site! Glad you found us.

I, too, hesitated to medicate my child. When I did, we had to try a few medications and I almost gave up on the idea. Then we found one that worked and the phone calls home from school suddenly stopped. She was getting more social calls, etc. These days it does not seem to make as much of a difference, but I know that if she misses it I get that phone call home - so I know it does something good.

SnowAngel

Welcome. I am glad something good came from having a bad day. You found a great place to get info, vent and have people who totally understand what you live with daily. I believe most of us here stumbled upon this site when we were at our witts end.

I can truly say I have gained so much from getting on this site. It is truly a blessing to be connected to others who can relate.

Welcome to a fellow Canadian,

It is great that you found us and this safe haven where you can vent your frustrations as well as share your victories. :thumb:

Everyone here is wonderful with their love, support, hugs and stories. Despite our war stripes, we are not professionals. However, with our war wounds, we can often relate with other moms quite readily. in my humble opinion take what you need and leave the rest. Good luck to you and your difficult child. It's great to have another Canadian on board!
:flower:

Wiped Out

Staff member
So glad you found us. You are definitely not alone. As others have said-this truly is a soft place to land and the support here is amazing-it's been a true lifesaver for me. Welcome!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Hi and Welcome.

(I LOVE your avatar by the way)

Hope you find lots of help, warmth and caring here - we're really a great bunch of people.

Hugs
Star

TerryJ2

Hi Lael,
You do have a cool avatar.
I bet it's getting cold where you are, already. It's still in the 80s in VA.
I cannot imagine home schooling, much less with-an ADHD kid. You must be a saint.
Take care.

Mildred

Hi Lael,
Just wanted to say hi and welcome from another BC mom. Its hard to know what people mean by "middle" of BC or "northern" BC - I'm in Fort St John. What town/city are you close to?

Laelee

Aww thanks Terry:)
I'm finding homeschooling waaay easier than
dealing with the schools. That makes my heart pound to think
of that,lol

Hi Mildred!
I'm in the Cariboo;)

It's nice to meet you both,thanks for the warm welcome!

gypsysoul

My apologies for taking so long to get back and introduce myself. I am a 52y/o woman, displaced in NKY, on my 3rd marriage, a bit ADHD, still unsure what I want to be when I grow up. I have heart problems, am on numerous medications including Ativan and EffexorXR. It's no wonder my daughter is the way she is. I work full time at a veterinarian and spend the majority of my time on my feet, either walking the dogs or working. My three children are all grown and finally out of the house. The eldest boy is 27, has been in the army now a year as an army medic. He is ADHD and was diagnosed in 5th grade tho his father took him off the medications in his 7th grade year. He is HIGHLY intelligent but refuses to use that to his advantage, attempting to be a jock and internet junkie instead. No, that isn't working well for him. He is single, but has been in love with the same girl for many years now, occasionally she throws him a cookie to keep him hanging on. Son 2 is VERY much an achiever, he struggled in elementary and high school but does well in college. He is 25 and has acquired numerous medals and trophies for his work as an NCO National Guard. He will be married in October to a beautiful girl who has waited for him during a long year in Egypt. Prior to his Egypt deployment he was in Baghdad for at least a year...gone 18 mo's that time. I am half frightened to attend the *Posh* wedding as mother of the groom.
And then there is the difficult child. She is a LONG LONG story. 23 with-2 children since my last post. The day I posted this I challenged her on the Nikon. She admitted pawning it for a mere $40.00 and she and I went to get it. I informed the pawn shop that she would only bring them stolen goods and to ban her. Needless to say, they laughed at me. :( The next day she went into labor and delivered emergency C-section. I can only hope our little girl brings her mother around...please Lord don't let her grow up and continue the dysfunction and pain.
Then theres the dogs. 3 at last count. An elderly boxer who went into seizures out of the blue on Saturday night and spent the long weekend in the ER. A 3yr old German Shepherd, my guardian and friend. A 1.5 yr old Boxer girl, with a tail, and yes, the DEVIL is in the tail...and the rest of her. Sheesh!
Hubby, 51, has a daughter as well, 24 yrs old. Night and day different than mine. She has issues as well but until recently was living a fairly stable life as a stay at home mother of our grandson, 5 yrs old. We rarely see her but keep in touch via facebook and email. She also has a long story that makes her current divorce and attraction to a MUCH older man seem normal. *SIGH* She and I get along well. Her mother passed 5 yrs ago and although I do not mother her, I do *friend* her. :)
Hubby is a work-a-holic and keeps the bills paid. He is what I call a *Lavender* collar worker...not quite white but not quite blue either. He has stood by me with difficult child's issues and some of the eldest son's antics as well. We are not social people, either of us, so we get along. Hubbies greatest love is the 11yr old Boxer, who's seizures and trip to the ER have thrown him into a grief I've never seen in him before. Needless to say ......... Life is VERY stressful at this time.
Thanks for all the welcomes. I may vent here now and then but for now, I'll just watch and read until I can breath again.
*Peace* :) Gypsysoul

susiestar

Roll With It
This is a really old post. I will have a moderator move this so everyone can see it. With the old posts many of us miss things added on.

Welcome, again, of course, and I am glad you came to join us.