Idea Compliance Report

NEW! DOWNLOAD THE IDEA COMPLIANCE REPORT AT WRIGHTSLAW
As many of you know, parents of children with disabilities have been hampered by two factors: isolation and lack of information.
At Wrightslaw, we are working to remedy these problems. We believe that if parents have accurate information about their rights and responsibilities and know that they are not alone, they will join together and force the system to change.

On January 26, we advised newsletter subscribers that the National Council on Disability (NCD) would soon release the IDEA
COMPLIANCE REPORT. summary - http://www.wrightslaw.com/advoc/nwltr/2000/nl_00_0126.htm

report - www.wrightslaw.com/news/2000/NCD_IDEA_Report_00_0125.htm

*NOTE*

Even if you aren't involved in Special Education Services with you child at this time, this is IMPORTANT reading. Special Education is not what it used to be. It provides protections to many of "our" kid with mental illness, and mood disorders. Your child deserves special services (not stuck in an Learning Disability (LD) class), and may qualify for a Individulized Education Plan (IEP), if they are impaired by their disorder, physically, achedemically or socially.

I am learning just how LITTLE my son's school district knows (or wants to) as far as this is concerned, and they are getting a real education on the subject.

I'd encourage everyone to read this report, called The report is called, "BACK TO SCHOOL ON CIVIL RIGHTS: ADVANCING THE FEDERAL COMMITMENT TO LEAVE NO CHILD BEHIND," through Wright's Law, and contact your state and local Special Education Offices.

Kristine

------------------
difficult child "18"yo son...One angry young man. Bipolar, CD, probability of Borderline (BPD). Marijuana use, inhalents and other drugs used in the past.
Presently home and depressed...fighting for help from school!
Awaiting disposition for Felonious Assault, and pre-trial for Auto Theft. medications tried - Prozac, Wellbutrin, Depakote. Also tried Pfeiffer vitamin therapy...no results. Variety of Psychologists and Psychiatrists. Was in short-term Residential Treatment Center (RTC). Presently on 30mg Prozac.
16yo son easy child with ulcer, 14yo daughter easy child with chronic Atopic Dermatitis...having depression symptoms. Married to husband 18 years (hanging on by a thread).

Enjoying being a moderator!

"Our gene pool could use a little chlorine."

[This message has been edited by kristine7 (edited 02-03-2000).]

Thanks Kristine
biggrin.gif

Cheryl

HI Kristine, would you let me know where I can find the "report" you speak of?? Thanks...

Jerri

Kristine,

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS!!!
biggrin.gif

This is one of the most important article's I have seen to date!

With your permission I would like to Archive this post under my forum.

Also I am forwarding this to Abbey for Article of the week, and cannot implore everyone here enough to take the time and sit and read this ( and do it several times!!! ) from cover to cover.

We must all take responsibility for effecting changes in the law.

Nothing should be more impoartant to us than education, the laws governing it, and paving the way for the next generation of difficult child's.

>
>
>
>
>
>
>

PLOP!!!!

I fell off my soap box LOL!!!

Hugs N Love!!!

Jerri

------------------
Founder: PRIE Parents Rights In Education

5 kids, 21 yo difficult child Rich, 20 yo easy child Joe, 19 yo difficult child Billy, 14 yo easy child Stacie, 11 yo difficult child Matt.
Perfect husband Tom!:)

"sometimes all thats left to honor the bond is tears"

Full time volunteer advocate: " A voice and a pen for the bad kid"

Jerri McCarthy

Your welcome everyone. It takes the effort of all of us to get changes to occur!

Jerri, I hope Abbey will make it article of the week....maybe more members will see it.

It is important, and I hope everyone follows up with their state concerning this to see where they stand. I already have.

Archiving it is fine.

Kristine

Jerri

Kristine,

We may have to get pushy and bossy in order to get others to read this.. sort of like making our difficult child's take their medications...

ITS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD PEOPLE!!!!

So I hope you will help keep this up at the top.. I sent it to Abbey, with my "strong" opinion about this being article of the week.

Hugs N Love!!!

Jerri

------------------

5 kids, 21 yo difficult child Rich, 20 yo easy child Joe, 19 yo difficult child Billy, 14 yo easy child Stacie, 11 yo difficult child Matt.

Jerri McCarthy

JAMES

smile.gif
OMG what a wealth of info. A must for us all. This stuff is well written and concise. I will be forwarding links to this to all in the A.D.D. SUPPORT site in Yahoo!!!! This is some fantastic Info.
smile.gif

READ IT, IT WILL HELP!!!!!!!

JAMES

[This message has been edited by James (edited 02-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by James (edited 02-05-2000).]

Jerri

up

Kristine, i cant archive this to my forum will you do it for me?

Thanks!
smile.gif

Just printed my 12th copy LOL

hugs N Love!!!

jerri

------------------

Jerri McCarthy