Ideas - lego corral

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Wee has a ton of Lego's and he plays with them all the time. Our house is very small (under 1000sf) so he usually plays with them in the living room. I can handle them. husband can not.

Currently they are in 2 storage containers. Each container is roughly 18" wide by 24" long, and about 6" deep. In order to find things, he has to rummage thru the boxes and ends up with them all over the floor.

I'm trying to think of a better solution for the lego's. Maybe a small swimming pool they can be in so he can find them easier, and not have to pick up an entire room full of lego's all over the floor? Yet that doesn't seem like the best idea, either.

Anybody else have any ideas?

Mattsmom277

the swimming pool idea makes good sense. I have a lego issue with easy child too. She's a fiend, collects them like mad, special orders them, costs me a fortune haha.

I'm trying to come up with a way for her to store the ones she's built, specific buildings and vehicles from Lego City sets etc.

Do you find lego in STRANGE places? Them seem to migrate in this house lol

Marguerite

Something I remember reading about - you buy some heavy canvas, preferably as wide as you can get it. If you can get the stuff they make awnigs out of, that will be good. Aim for about 150 cm wide, 200 cm if you can get it. Buy enough to make a full circle (that means buying 1.5 metres at 150 cm wide; 2 metres at 200 cm wide).

Then cut it to make a full circle. Hem it all around. Then get husband or someone with a strong wrist to put in some heavy-duty eyelets at about 10 cm intervals all around the edge (about 4 cm in from the edge). Thread through some cord, and tie the cord off so when the circle is laid out flat, the cord just fits round without making the edges pucker. It MUST lie flat.

Now, to use - you spread it out like a flat mat. Set up the Lego on it, play with the Lego on it. But when it's time to clean up, you pick up the drawstring and pull it tight. All the Lego should be inside a sack.

Adjust the size of this to make something of practical size for you. If it's too big, it's unwieldy to move around. if it's too small, too much Lego spills over the sides. It could be better to make two smaller Lego sacks, than one over-large one.

Smaller special projects can still have their own containers, within the sack. But I would suggest you buy special containers with clamp-down sides. Kitchen storage containers are good for this.

I hope this can help.

Marg

KTMom91

Along the lines of the swimming pool...what about a sandbox? A square box would fit in a corner, and some come with covers.

SRL

We had Lego issues too (see my signature--I really should change it now that they're teens!:D). We wound up with one storage tub about the size you described in the room they played most in, with a deeper overflow tub in the bedroom.

Those things sure hurt when you step on them with bare feet!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Along the lines of what Marg suggested, I was thinking of a large sheet to lay out for him to play on. You could just roll everything up in the sheet when he's done, or pour them back in the bin. If it makes you feel any better, our house has stuff like that scattered everywhere, too :) Lately it's been Bionicles.

DammitJanet

With us its dolls and doll house furniture...lol. Could somebody handy build him a lego table that is actually a toy box too to hold them when done? You can buy the lego mats at toysrus and glue them down to a wood top.