Ideas please...What jobs can I do as a stay at home mom?

buddy

I have found that there are many people in my boat. I have chosen to stop working outside of the home (not a total choice, kid would not be able to live at home if I didn't quit) because I get so many calls during the day and often have to go to the school for difficult child. In addition, there is no daycare that will take him. Not even the after school programs that receive public funds would work with him and I knew it would be more of the same...calls and having to leave work. I have Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) funds but waivered money can't be used for daycare and anyway, at this point now it has been 4 years and he is too old for daycare. He needs 24/7 supervision. I dont mind that at all, I signed up to be a mom, so that is ok... but the reality of life is--I need to work more.

So my question is, what am I going to do? I am able to be paid as a "paid parent provider" through his ma waiver, but of course this allows me to barely support him. I have a good education but it is not an in home kind of job (I can't bring people in my home because son would never leave us alone.) I am so stressed about money all of the time.

What jobs do any of you have that are flexible or at home jobs (I know there are lots of online rip off jobs so I will be careful, I mean real jobs)
Any success stories? I am open to other kinds of jobs than what I have been doing for the past 25 years. But, what?

Malika

I am a free-lance translator (French to English) who works at home. The advantages are that my time is completely my own - I can obviously work whenever I want as long as I meet the deadline - and that I am free to fit it in with anything that arises. I also enjoy it and it exploits my field of competence, as it were. The disadvantages are that it is isolated, very intense and concentrated and (last but not least) not fantastically paid. Oh - and you neeed to speak another language, of course... :)
I also occasionally work as an editor and that is something you might like to explore if you like language and have meticulous attention to detail. You will never earn an enormous wage but you can build up a reputation if you do good work and earn a liveable income. In the UK there are short proof-reading courses you can do and I am sure they also exist in the States.

slsh

member since 1999
I'm a medical transcriptionist. Started working in medical billing in the late 70's (pre-computers) so learned my terminology then. Quit that work when preggo with- oldest, but right after difficult child was born I started doing transcription. Did it until Diva was born, then stopped for about 6 years - difficult child was completely out of control and Boo had started having frequent seizures so there was just no way to work. Went back to work about... 6 years ago? Decent wage and generally flexible hours (depends on who you work for). I'm an independent contractor now (essentially self-employed). I will never be able to work out of the home because of Boo, so this works for us.

buddy

Thanks, really good ideas. I have done daycare etc. but the risk is if my kiddo is home so just thought this group might help me think outside of my human service box.

H

HaoZi

If you're good at reading and writing, blogging can sometimes bring in income. Online marketing as well, if you're strong in that area. If you're good at converting documents, a lot of self pubbed authors are willing to pay for document conversion because it's a PITA. Ditto cover designs. If you're creative you could try designing stuff through zazzle.com, cafepress, etc. If you're good with crafts you could try doing an online store through etsy or selling on ebay. If you extreme coupon you could try selling on ebay.

InsaneCdn

Aren't you trained as a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP)? or was that someone else...
I know lots of schools who would love to have access to "small slices" of extra Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) help but can't afford to open up a full-time or committed-hours part-time position - so it would be contract rates, variable timing, in-school service... If you could do that at or near HIS school, with the ability to cancel/reschedule if necessary based on HIS needs... it might be a win-win.

keista

I was also thinking of the possibility of Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) "freelancing" which you could do during school hours.

I had once met a woman in the Post Office who was an at home call center person. She signed up with a company, and the way it worked was she would say she'd work from x to y hours (minimum 1/2 hour blocks) And then calls were routed to her. When she got "lucky" she had no calls but still got paid. The calls varied from the local pizzeria to "as Seen on TV" stuff and for that kind of stuff she had the potential to make commissions if she up-sold. Anyway, I'm sorry I don't have a website or contact information, but wanted to put it out there because it is real and can happen, and the legitimate actual employers will NEVER ask you to pay any fee. If they're asking for a fee, it's a service that collected contact info for such employers.

I'm self employed at home. I sell toys and other stuff on the internet. Started years ago on eBay and have evolved since then. It's so not easy, but it can be done. Of course, half my house is sacrificed to inventory storage.

buddy

you guys are great. I am definately going to check into some of those things. I think I need a change anyway. Yes, I am an Speech Language Pathologist (SLP). My dilema here (and I actually was offered part time at my former school because they are so overwhelmed) is that both bosses and clients get fed up with the large amount of time I have to go to answer emergency calls or actually go to get him. In addition, in this school, nearly all of their IEP meetings are after school hours. Impossible for me to do that, and that school I would be (even part time) on about 30 IEP's. I hate conflict (I think that's why God gave me difficult child to work on that, smile) and I feel terrible when I put people out so it was very frustrating for me too. I have thought of tutoring though because I have a teaching license and could be more flexible with that.
Each time I think, yeah, this will work, something like this happens... I had two doctor appointments this month for me...those were the only times I scheduled something. Of course I got called in the middle of the first one (sorry doctor, it's an emergency...I am sure he was thinking, "hey that's my line"). For the second one, that is when school wanted difficult child suspended. I managed to talk them at least into another day since it was all after the incident anyway, it didn't matter by that time. I am called 3-5 days a week sometimes multiple times. Even during my "respite" when he is with Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) workers I have to have the phone right next to me. It goes in phases, but today for example the Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) worker had to call 4 times in 3 hours. I am not complaining, honest, I am lucky to have the help. Just sharing the road blocks that make it a little more challenging to find a different job. So I love the options you guys listed. So great to hear. I volunteer a lot and love it. I just like to have something to do outside of the mommy gig.

But I have faith...something will work. in Aug, I had a been hired to "daycare" for a little boy in our complex. just part of the day and they said I could bring him with me if I had to get difficult child. they know him well and difficult child loves the kid,its mutual. I was so happy because I started thinking, oh good I can buy difficult child christmas gifts, birthday gifts without as much struggle. Well, bio mom picked the kid up and didn't return him so....(bio mom's dad was caring for him because she is on drugs etc.) but maybe there is another kiddo out there where the family will take the time to love difficult child and it will be rare that they would be home together anyway.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Are you a crafty type person? You could make things to sell online. Might be a "fun" way to bring in extra income.

I did home daycare for many many years. It let me bring in extra income while staying at home. But I know that's not for everyone.

InsaneCdn

Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) stuff again... Maybe you can take the load off the front-line SLPs... as in, when they've run testing etc., you can actually score the tests and write up prelim evaluation as a starting point... you could help draft IEPs, etc - in other words, help take some of the paperwork off their plates, so they can spend more time with students and families.

Paperwork does not require a fixed schedule. You come into the school, accomplish whatever can be done today, take home a bit if necessary...

And still do some tutoring on the side... That is to say, your "answer" might be more than one type of work...

buddy

insane cdn, I will propose that... other Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) is a fussy fussy writer, but if they really want the help. I would even do just evaluations....I know the kids so it is not like a stranger doing them. Mostly DHH kids (deaf/hard of hearing) and some dhh plus Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), daughter, etc. Most of them are not nearly as complex as difficult child kids!

InsaneCdn

Plus... if other Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) just needs report-writing time, can you "sub" in on some hands-on stuff with the kids, but if you get pulled she can come back in and take over? Even if she gets 30 mins heads-down it can make a huge diff!

This is going to be interesting!